Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0l Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
i feel the majority of the people that do the 3.4 swap aren't really concerned about the price. its about keeping their older Toyota and swapping in another more powerful Toyota motor. You could probably sell your Toyota and buy a newer truck with the 3.4 already for around the same if not cheaper than doing the swap.

I personally love my 2nd gen 4runner and want to keep it as long as possible, therefore i plan on doing the 3.4 swap. I mean why wouldn't you? Still have a Toyota engine, with more power/efficiency and the coolness factor of swapping in a 3.4!

For me, i learn best doing hands on work, therefore with the 3.4 swap, it gives you a good chance to learn about the motor going in rather than buying one and not having to work on it.

MY $0.02
and to be honest, the newer trucks are getting more complicated too. Now that being said, to be able to buy a newer tacoma, with a 3.4, a 5-speed, and a electric rear locker right out of the box would be nice too. But having a newer engine in an older truck would be nice i will give you that. In an ideal world, I would like to have a either a supercharged 3.4, or a turbocharged supra motor residing in my engine bay. long way off but it would be sweet.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
i feel the majority of the people that do the 3.4 swap aren't really concerned about the price. its about keeping their older Toyota and swapping in another more powerful Toyota motor. You could probably sell your Toyota and buy a newer truck with the 3.4 already for around the same if not cheaper than doing the swap.

I personally love my 2nd gen 4runner and want to keep it as long as possible, therefore i plan on doing the 3.4 swap. I mean why wouldn't you? Still have a Toyota engine, with more power/efficiency and the coolness factor of swapping in a 3.4!

For me, i learn best doing hands on work, therefore with the 3.4 swap, it gives you a good chance to learn about the motor going in rather than buying one and not having to work on it.

MY $0.02
I totally agree. And I like that way of thinking. I usually do stuff that way, I am just trying to keep myself from doing it that way this time, and the more I say it the more I believe it, sort of.
Plus when money is not the issue the swap is a no brainer cause I much more prefer the second gen stuff anyway. Right now though money is an issue, for me anyhow. It hasnt always been, and hopefully wont be again soon. You will definately hear a different tune then.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 AM

Another reason i feel people jump on the swap asap if they can is not only the fact that is more powerful, it doesn't have the horror stories of teh blown headgaskets as the 3.0. Not only that, but what would be the price on a rebuild of the 3.0 in your case if/when it goes out??? So if you think about it, you can pay X amount to have the same kinda weak motor or you can pay a little more upfront and have a better engine!

I mean, my 3.0 Caught fire the when i got it. Therefore i spent a lot of time rewiring the harness, replacing stuff, etc... I learned a bit about the motor and everything in the engine bay. I learn through doing for the most part and i LIKE working on trucks/cars so i feel the next step is to have something unique in my town. a 2nd gen with a 3.4, Plus my mom has the 3.4 and it is bad arse.

Tempting to swap her 3.4 into my 4runner and my 3.0 into her 4runner.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did this same mod

Originally Posted by J_Dawg72
I Have A 1989 Toy With A 3.0l V-6 And I Was Dissappointed With The Amount Of Power That The Engine Had. I Was Stoked To Find A Shop In Northern Cal. That Produces A Custom Offroad Cyclone Cold Air Intake That I Purchased For My Truck. They Also Offer A Adapter Plate That Is A Velocitystack For A 3 Inch Setup With A Cone Filter On The End. I Purchased The Velocity Stack With A Built In Cyclone And Put It On My Truck Made A World Of Difference. I Then Thought If This Plate Make This Much Difference The Tube Would Make Alot Of Difference As Welll. I Got Them Both The Plate,tube,and Mounting Brakets For $150. I Was Very Pleased With The Intake. I Would Advise Other 3.0l Engine Owners To Do The Same It Made My Truck Fun To Drive Again. If You Have Any Questions Or Want Their Info Write Me I Will Give It To You.
J_Dawg72 and i are in the same town. He told me about what he did and his plans for what else he could do to improve the power and fuel efficiency of his 3.slow. I drive a 2nd gen 3.slow runner and told him i was interested. I installed the same thing in my intake, minus the tube he has, and took it for a spin....i was immediately impressed with my runner's hidden talent. it didnt take nearly as much gas pedal as it used to. i went balls to the wall and it hauled! . its definitely a mod that actually works. reeaallly well. ive got new confidence in my lovely 3.0 . if any of you have studied the 3.0 intake like i have, the thing is poorly designed and just needs more room to breathe. this mod helps that. and improves throttle response drastically. i will post pics of what i have done soon
Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM

Tempting to swap her 3.4 into my 4runner and my 3.0 into her 4runner. [/QUOTE].

Now thats just plain mean. But if you can do it fast enough to get away with it, you could make some money. nascar.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:49 PM

lol!!!!!!

it would be classic. Id probably be the first to complete a 3.4 to 3.0 swap!

all i need to do is organize them a trip out of the area for about a week or two!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM

BTW, to the OP, im looking forward to seeing the dyno numbers!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

you both are talkin, but i wanna see some actual pics of this... also, you could feel a big improvement on the butt dyno, but is it any more than anyone else who has done the ISR mod??? i mean, i could go to the exhaust shop, and for 30 bucks have a pipe bent and fittings welded...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 PM

Does anyone like what i did with that cone conversion? i know it's on a ford, but i was just wondering. I am thinking of making one for my runner.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM

Well I will show the pics and dyno numbers tommrow. I think the cone coversion is cool but you can get the adapter that Machine 23 is talking about for $40 and it includes the brackets
Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
10 bucks says the new air filter and/or intake would not yeild more then 5hp to the wheels... You cannot shove more air into the 3vze, the VAFM, Throttle body and intake runners are WAY to restrictive...

I will stick with my 10 dollar intake simply because it takes up less room then the stocker.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Alex 400
Does anyone like what i did with that cone conversion? i know it's on a ford, but i was just wondering. I am thinking of making one for my runner.
i think it looks good... but like you said, it IS a ford...
Old 10-02-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
i think it looks good... but like you said, it IS a ford...
yeah but it hauls @$$! hahaha. those ex-state patrol cars are great. can roast the tires, 0-60 in about 7 seconds (with wheel spin). That is what we timed it as. They are geared high (3.23)and will do about 45 mph in first gear. My buddy's car, which has a fresh trans, will down shift to second from 4th at 60 mph and pull to 80, and as soon as it shifts to third you are at 85 and you are on you way to 100. 0-60 sucks but the thing cruises at 95 easily. According to the Police package, brochure, the suspension, brakes, transmission, cooling systen and rear end are all designed to cruise at 100+ mph for extended periods of time. His had 120, xxx miles of washington state patrol service before he got it.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 AM

i wanna see this madness! personally, i just had a shop bend me some 3"stainless when i got my exhaust done, works good, and all i had to pay for was the sleeves to connect the parts together.

Last edited by yotasavg; 10-02-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Ok I got pics of us at the dyno and of the intake that we got. When I arrived at the dyno this afternoon I was a bummed beacuse two of the techs were messen around and they fried the printer by getting brake clean all over it in a torch fight. So they will be mailing me the actual dyno sheets. I have pics of the results on the dyno screen but they are tough to see to much glare. I also have pics of the intake and adapter plate. when I have more time I will put the pics on here are the numbers we got.

All numbers are at the rear wheels
105.2 hp stock
112.3 hp with adapter plate insalled
115. 5hp with complete intake istalled

Time tests Stock Intake
0-60mph 11.39s 9.57s
Distance 0-60 .13mi .10mi
1/4 mi 18.13s 17.05

Not to bad. I know some of you are still going to think I am full of crap. Dont care I am just stoked my 3.0l is fun to drive and I can now pull hills and smob around the dunes with great ease. And you can send you $10 any time.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Ok I got pics of us at the dyno and of the intake that we got. When I arrived at the dyno this afternoon I was a bummed beacuse two of the techs were messen around and they fried the printer by getting brake clean all over it in a torch fight. So they will be mailing me the actual dyno sheets. I have pics of the results on the dyno screen but they are tough to see to much glare. I also have pics of the intake and adapter plate. when I have more time I will put the pics on here are the numbers we got.

All numbers are at the rear wheels
105.2 hp stock
112.3 hp with adapter plate insalled
115. 5hp with complete intake istalled

Time tests Stock Intake
0-60mph 11.39s 9.57s
Distance 0-60 .13mi .10mi
1/4 mi 18.13s 17.05

Not to bad. I know some of you are still going to think I am full of crap. Dont care I am just stoked my 3.0l is fun to drive and I can now pull hills and smob around the dunes with great ease. And you can send you $10 any time.
yah we have #'s !!! where is the torque specs? did you get a foot pound measurement. and where are the pictures?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:03 PM

two of the techs were messen around and they fried the printer by getting brake clean all over it in a torch fight.
How convenient...
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM

FACT: All you need to rip up the dunes with great ease in a 4000lb. truck is 115hp.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
FACT: All you need to rip up the dunes with great ease in a 4000lb. truck is 115hp.
oh that is plenty

i mean sure it would work, but you need a little more oomph than that
Old 10-02-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alex 400
oh that is plenty

i mean sure it would work, but you need a little more oomph than that
yea... like another 100 hp oomph!!!

Quick Reply: 3.0l Improvement