Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE turns over, but won't start..... where to start (no pun intended)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any advantage to taking this truck to a toyota dealership for diagnostics service? Or is there a way to receive the computer codes?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd remove the cold start valve from the intake just to double check if you are getting fuel to the fuel rail. Then go from there...
Check the connections on the ECU as well as the AFM.

This will help you with the codes...do you have a check engine light on? http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/
Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM

has the light been on all the time. or did it come on when the truck started to f*** up?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 PM

No check light on. Just trying to think of a way to diagnosis this
Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM

I had a mechanic look at it, and he thought it might be the "ignition modual" OR "ignitor assemby" preventing it from getting fuel to the injectors.

Any thoughts

Priced one out at the Toyota Dealership $551.41... are you kidding me.!!!!

Anybody got one handy they would like to ship to Canada - Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went over to my son's one day after a big snow storm hit to help him get his wife's car dug out. I turned off my 89 4Runner (22RE) and when I went to start it....no go! We towed it all over everywhere and eventually towed it home to my house. After much troubleshooting I found the problem. The EFI relay (round silver canister) is located at the top of the fuse panel underneath the drivers kick panel. Well after all that troubleshooting, mine had come out of it's 4 prong socket and fallen on the floor. Plugged it back in and started the truck. Make sure it's plugged in and functioning properly!
If you look at it closely it has 2 wide spades and 2 narrower spades. The two wide are the contacts and carry the current of the EFI system, the two narrow are the coil that pick-up the contacts. If you put an oummeter across the two wide you should read infinity resistance (overload on a digital meter), put 12 volts (pos and neg off of your battery) across the coil and you should hear the contact close and the resistance of the ohmmeter should be zero or close to it.

Good Luck.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 AM

I have an ignitor, problem is still not solved. Intermittent issues with Fuel pump, injector signal, and now spark. I dropped off a set up wiring diagrams with the mechanic this morning. At this point I am not all that hopeful

I am going to give this guy till the end of day Thursday, then i will have it towed (home or a friend's - friend- who was a toyota mechanic)

Will update this later in the week.

Thanks for the input so far.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
In need of help!😭

Here is my situation ! I am here working on my 91 re for the past week now, literally,an now I'm tired. The issue started with a major oil leak I attempted to fix by taking off the timing chain cover, which didn't go too well. Only because I read on yota that it was possible. I tried twice an failed. So I took the head off. It was running fine until the oil leak. After days of working to put it back together an was done, so I thought, an was exited to start it, it only turns but will not start. Can I have some advice thanks.

Last edited by Diego toyota; 02-02-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Efi fuse #15 continued to break

Greetings one an all. I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light on the fuse # 15 fuse that continues to break.
Here is my story guys. This all starts when my 91re started shutting off. I went directly to the gas tank an changed the pump. It continued so I changed the gas filter, cap an rotor. It would start then cut off again. Apparently that was not the issue. I was checking the fuses when I realize the # 15 fuse in the engine compartment was popped. I changed it, it ran for 10 miles an it would break. I've changed it numerous times an the same thing would occur. I would change the fuse,it ran for 10 sec then brake, idle for 30 min then break. Can someone help me? Thanks much.

Last edited by Diego toyota; 04-27-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Unfinished
Old 05-13-2020, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 854x4
The best way to test for spark is with a spark tester but if you dont have one you could pull the plug and look for spark while cranking the engine but it may be hard if your working by yourself.
I don't know how old this is and don't know how to ask questions on here but I got to this so here it goes I got a 86 Toyota fourrunner with the 22r and I have spark and fuel but it still want start I have put new rotory button distributor cap starter and injectors I straight wired my fuel pump so I know it's working when I changed my injectors I turned it on and got good pressure to come out the line were we screws into the fuel rail idk what to do my timing is dead on I can spray starting fluid in throttle body and try to start it and if I hold the pettle to flow it will act like it wants to fire but then just stoppes and just turns over I'm getting really frustrated and need help
Old 03-17-2022, 07:45 PM

93 Toyota won’t start

[QUOTE=Christian.hipps;52444005]I don't know how old this is and don't know how to ask questions on here but I got to this so here it goes I got a 86 Toyota fourrunner with the 22r and I have spark and fuel but it still want start I have put new rotory button distributor cap starter and injectors I straight wired my fuel pump so I know it's working when I changed my injectors I turned it on and got good pressure to come out the line were we screws into the fuel rail idk what to do my timing is dead on I can spray starting fluid in throttle body and try to start it and if I hold the pettle to flow it will act like it wants to fire but then just stoppes and just turns over I'm getting really frustrated and need help[/

I have a 93 Toyota pickup truck doing the exact same thing did you happen to get yours fixed and find the problem because this thing is driving me crazy 😂
Old 03-17-2022, 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=Xcab85yota;52474727]
Originally Posted by Christian.hipps
I don't know how old this is and don't know how to ask questions on here but I got to this so here it goes I got a 86 Toyota fourrunner with the 22r and I have spark and fuel but it still want start I have put new rotory button distributor cap starter and injectors I straight wired my fuel pump so I know it's working when I changed my injectors I turned it on and got good pressure to come out the line were we screws into the fuel rail idk what to do my timing is dead on I can spray starting fluid in throttle body and try to start it and if I hold the pettle to flow it will act like it wants to fire but then just stoppes and just turns over I'm getting really frustrated and need help[/

I have a 93 Toyota pickup truck doing the exact same thing did you happen to get yours fixed and find the problem because this thing is driving me crazy 😂

I would change the fuel filter and make sure it’s not clogged. The symptoms you’re describing point to not having fuel especially since you are able to start it with starter fluid. Good luck.