YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Markarin0
22re Strong gas smell

Hey guys i just started to randomly get a very rich smelling truck. I don't smell any fuel inside but If I have my windows rolled down my goodness does it smell. When I do a walk around the car I smell the fuel the most on the passenger side around the gas cap. I checked the cap and it is still keeping pressure. Also I don't see any noticeable gas leak on the floor or under the truck and no smell under the hood. Any thoughts?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

mine runs kinda rich, and if I get on it hard it really smells like gas, but my oxygen sensor is messed up
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

cwr56
Obviously you should use weaker smelling gas.

Seriously, you should have a vented gas cap. If it's venting alot of vapor however, you might check your Evap emmisions system.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

BMcEL blainemcelwee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markarino View Post
Hey guys i just started to randomly get a very rich smelling truck. I don't smell any fuel inside but If I have my windows rolled down my goodness does it smell. When I do a walk around the car I smell the fuel the most on the passenger side around the gas cap. I checked the cap and it is still keeping pressure. Also I don't see any noticeable gas leak on the floor or under the truck and no smell under the hood. Any thoughts?
Charcoal (evap) canister:

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/engine/17evaporat.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwr56 View Post
Seriously, you should have a vented gas cap. If it's venting alot of vapor however, you might check your Evap emmisions system.
The gas cap does not vent pressure.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

bassmastry101 I NuTcAsE I
Send a message via AIM to Bassmastry101 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassmastry101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwr56 View Post
Obviously you should use weaker smelling gas.

Weaker smelling gas? It might not be good for your health to smell your gas too much man.

x2 what BMcEL said. Also if you're smelling it around the fuel tank, maybe there is a small leak somewhere that's letting pressure out enough to vent the fumes but not leak?
:: '86 4Runner: Rebuilt 22re, bored .040 over, Shaved block, Comp Magnum cam, EB Street/RV Head with 1.803" Intake & 1.481" Exhaust valves; Hedman racing header with 2.5" exhaust, Deleted Cat, Flowmaster muffler; WARN manual hubs; 3 Gauge Pillar; Grant Steering Wheel; ZUK mod.
:: '88 Accord DX: Daily beater, Rebuilt a20a1, Manual trans swap, Added LX-I power options
:: '92 s10: Stock all show no go 305

My Cupholder MOD!

FSM!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Diaz Joesph
cold start injector,mine is a 1987 the strong smell of gas started about a week ago now the 4 runner EFI has a sensor i replac it kept flooding out my friend works for Toyota here in Albuquerque NM he told me to check the coldstart injector,its was bad just dumping gas into the EFI its located just under the radiator hose near the EFI its the one on the left w/clip i think i used a 22mm to remove it.it quit running rich/smoothed out and starts back up fine if it did start on the first try it would flood and i had to get someone to pull start me............good luck...Duces Out......

Last edited by SR25JD; 03-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1986, 1987, 2002, 22rte, camaro, cavalier, gas, hood, intake, leaking, leaks, pickup, present, smell, smells, starting, toyota, truck