86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Rough Idle

I've got an 87 ext. cab w/ a 22re from an 88 4runner in it. Has been running great for forever but, lately she idles rough. I did a little tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) to no avail. Truck doesn't have a tach in her but she is deffinitley idling rough. My thinking is a vacum leak or a need for a valve adjustment.

(seperate issue; sometimes won't start. Pretty much nailed that one down to a starter that needs replacement)

any ideas from the 22re crowd?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
valve adjustment is easy enough to do- check the FSM in the links at the top of this forum's topic list for the proper procedure, .008" intake and .012" exhaust are the standards, but some people report .007" and .010-.011" work well.
replace the fuel filter
run a good fuel injector cleaner through for a tank... two or three (seafoam works pretty well, as does berryman's)
Old 09-20-2008, 11:17 PM

First off, rebuild your starter, don't replace it. What very likely happened, was the contacts wore out. That's about $3 or copper compared to a $200 remanufactured starter that probably was rebuilt with Chinese parts.

You could go along the vacuum lines with a can of starter fluid.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:48 PM

did plugs,wire,cap,rotor (it needed it) and got a brand new starter from a friend with an 87 single cab 22re for nothing. Put the starter in, doesn't start. Found out my ignition switch went south so I picked up a push button starter that's the same exact diameter as my (disconnected) cig lighter. looks pretty good too, I'll post some pics later on. Anyway, I've still got a rough idle. Right now I've got the idle screw backed out pretty much all the way to smooth everything out but I still want to get to the bottom of this. I sprayed carb cleaner in the intake by way of this open tube which mystifies me as to it's purpose but is sucking air in. It's always been open and the truck hasn't had a problem since recently. When I did this the idle smooths out temporarily. I have a pic here of someone else's 22re and they have an white-tipped adjustment screw on top in the picture with a little coil spring under it. I do not have a top for this sucker on mine but it's sucking in air pretty good. Anyone know what the hell this thing does?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM

yes thats the air bypass valve, it regulates the amount of air coming through with tha ac on. its used to idle up the engine to compensate for the load of the compressor running. u need to fix that, thats an unmetered air leak. fix that and im sure it will run ok
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM

got a new air bypass valve and a new battery after I found that the one I had was probably older than the truck and won't hold a charge anymore. Now it struggles to start up and then idles rough still. Maybe a crappy fuel filter?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
First off, rebuild your starter, don't replace it. What very likely happened, was the contacts wore out. That's about $3 or copper compared to a $200 remanufactured starter that probably was rebuilt with Chinese parts.

You could go along the vacuum lines with a can of starter fluid.
just like... wow... bad advice to begin with... simply stating "rebuild your starter" is reckless and irresponsible. you've given the OP absolutely no basis for doing so and have offered not a single bit of fact to justify your opinion... you've only offered your opinion.

/me lolz @ 200 dollars for a remanufactured starter... maybe in Canadia... but in the USA... try maybe 80 dollars at autozone with a lifetime warranty after the core is returned.

I really do not want to say this, but it seems that every time I come across a Matt16 reply to any particular 'technical' thread, I find myself biting my lip more and more in order to maintain a 'civil' tone.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-14-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by tumor21
did plugs,wire,cap,rotor (it needed it) and got a brand new starter from a friend with an 87 single cab 22re for nothing. Put the starter in, doesn't start. Found out my ignition switch went south so I picked up a push button starter that's the same exact diameter as my (disconnected) cig lighter. looks pretty good too, I'll post some pics later on. Anyway, I've still got a rough idle. Right now I've got the idle screw backed out pretty much all the way to smooth everything out but I still want to get to the bottom of this. I sprayed carb cleaner in the intake by way of this open tube which mystifies me as to it's purpose but is sucking air in. It's always been open and the truck hasn't had a problem since recently. When I did this the idle smooths out temporarily. I have a pic here of someone else's 22re and they have an white-tipped adjustment screw on top in the picture with a little coil spring under it. I do not have a top for this sucker on mine but it's sucking in air pretty good. Anyone know what the hell this thing does?
if you're having trouble idling, I'd be checking the EGR valve and its VSV to make sure that those aren't causing your idle issue.
also, any vacuum line you have should NOT be open to atmosphere at all when at idle. so maybe you need to find the vacuum routing diagram for your truck and ensure that all the lines are connected properly.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:33 PM

same problem with mine. i did cap plugs and rotor but no help.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:47 PM

I guess everyone just lives with the rough idle; I haven't seen anyone come back and tell us what the problem finally was and how they fixed it.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Boltbrkr
I guess everyone just lives with the rough idle; I haven't seen anyone come back and tell us what the problem finally was and how they fixed it.
Bolt - I feel your pain. I had a rough idle on my '88 22RE and researched it a lot. I found dozens of threads on the problem and lots of good, sound advice on things to try. However, most of the time the original poster did not come back to say what worked and what didn't.

In the end, my problem was a series of things. My cold start injector time switch was defective causing a rich condition at idle (it didn't turn off the cold start injector after warm-up). Also my TPS was not adjusted properly. Lastly, had a couple of small exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor contributing to the rich running condition. I took care of those 3 things and got it almost smooth. I suspect I needed a valve adjustment (90K on a remanu engine at that time) but I T-boned a mom in a minivan before I got to it and my truck was totaled. It was a sad day...

I'm working on my 'new' '88 now.

DCMatt

Last edited by DCMatt; 02-27-2016 at 06:51 AM. Reason: I maid a mist ache.