Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st Gen 4runner rear corner panel protection now available!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
It's certainly less likely to get hung up on stuff than the alternative:

I think having the back end wrap around would be a great improvement, especially if you could kinda cut out a grid over the taillight so it was protected too ... and then maybe a horizontal "rub rail" along the top to keep the glass/top from leaning into stuff ...
The problem with that is that it would take a huge stamping press, and about $20K to have a place build a die for it. I've talked to Chuck at BC Broncos a couple years ago about what he spent for these. They run a mere $400/set

Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or you could weld fabricate the corner. It looks like you're having them laser or plasma cut anyways, so it seems like it would be pretty easy to have it cut with the right curve to cope in there, lay down a bead, and call it good.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:44 AM

I like em. I'll probably run them with my wrap around bumper and have the best of both worlds. My rig is pretty clean so I'm not as into dents as some
Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you could do something like that it would be awesome......

Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oops double posted lol

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 05-01-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's a good idea. I do want to see one installed. I guess my worry would be it spreading out the load and making a larger dent but it does look like you'd need a good hit to spread out the load bad enough to get a wicked dent. I guess more than anything I'd like to see you go beat the piss out of a set of them and post picture after The only thing I would change is the slope above the tail light, I'd keep it going straight up. Stoked to see the local guy killin it! I know steel prices are jacked but it does seem like more than I'd personally pay unless it served some pretty severe protection. Good idea rolling it under the bottom of the quarter panel.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, I don't get...
if I had the option of rails that kept the rocks away from my bod, or my bod away from the rocks..., or a plate that rocks could hit which in turn would hit my bod because it's only 1/8" or whatever from my panels, I think I'd lean (pun?) towards rails instead of plates.
OTOH, 1/4" diamond/tread plate welded on top of rails as the primary contact surface... woo hoo!

Just a thought.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-01-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Luvmeye22re
I think it's a good idea. I do want to see one installed. I guess my worry would be it spreading out the load and making a larger dent but it does look like you'd need a good hit to spread out the load bad enough to get a wicked dent. I guess more than anything I'd like to see you go beat the piss out of a set of them and post picture after The only thing I would change is the slope above the tail light, I'd keep it going straight up. Stoked to see the local guy killin it! I know steel prices are jacked but it does seem like more than I'd personally pay unless it served some pretty severe protection. Good idea rolling it under the bottom of the quarter panel.
Unfortunately, we maxed out the section forward that we could go. These are built out of a 4'x8' sheet of 3/16" cold roll steel. So, we are limited on how far forward we can go without wasting a ton of material and making our costs go up.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
yeah, I don't get...
if I had the option of rails that kept the rocks away from my bod, or my bod away from the rocks..., or a plate that rocks could hit which in turn would hit my bod because it's only 1/8" or whatever from my panels, I think I'd lean (pun?) towards rails instead of plates.
OTOH, 1/4" diamond/tread plate welded on top of rails as the primary contact surface... woo hoo!

Just a thought.
I've been on many trails where having a fender bar (or rail as you called them) actually hangs you up against the rocks. Having the rear quarterpanel plated like this will keep you from getting hung up and getting severe body damage. I experienced the body damage in the quarterpanel area last year and would have loved to have something like what Addicted is selling to save the body. I seriously doubt that these will create a large dent in the rear quarterpanel if used. It would have to be a massive hit and if that's the case, you've got other problems than a dent in the quarterpanel

I've now taken the sawzall and cut all of the bent up sheetmetal out and am in the process of rewelding new sheetmetal back in.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 PM

Sorry, double post. YT is acting slow today when replying to threads.

Last edited by Volcom; 05-02-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 05-02-2008, 04:26 PM

too late for my baby
Old 05-02-2008, 04:29 PM

too late for my baby
Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 PM

I think it's a good idea, maybe could use a little extra protection around the tail lights though. Doesn't have to fully wrap around, just enough to protect the top of the tail light. Like a dovetail kinda thing....sheesh I wish I could just draw it out for you! look at the "J" on your keyboard. as if the truck were facing away from you, and you were on the pass. side. doesn't have to be the full lenght of the bottom of the "J" just where it starts to curve. know what I mean? Here, lemme try to draw it in paint...
Old 05-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Play like the black lines are the truck's passenger side quarter pannel. The blue stands for the "new" design I'm talking about. It might still be hard like what your saying about the die, but this could be just at the top of the tail light, or bottom or just do both. I'm not much of a fabricator, how about a small kick out or something???

Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
Play like the black lines are the truck's passenger side quarter pannel. The blue stands for the "new" design I'm talking about. It might still be hard like what your saying about the die, but this could be just at the top of the tail light, or bottom or just do both. I'm not much of a fabricator, how about a small kick out or something???

That requires a molded die to bend like that. Those types of dies run around $20K to build. Its just not in the cards. Could a couple pieces be welded? Sure, but that also increases the cost.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
If you could do something like that it would be awesome......

Float me $20K to have the die built for it, and I'll build whatever you want.

Chuck had 100 people buy in at $200/ea just to be able to afford to have that die built. Then those 100 people had to pay another $200 when it was done. OUCH.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:08 PM

I think the design is a great idea, and I'm glad to see someone has come up with it. I may be interested in a set when you get them done for pickups. Good work. I'll keep my eyes out for your post about when the other stuff for pickups is available!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by DCYota
I think the design is a great idea, and I'm glad to see someone has come up with it. I may be interested in a set when you get them done for pickups. Good work. I'll keep my eyes out for your post about when the other stuff for pickups is available!
If anyone in the Fort Collins, CO area has a 2nd gen pickup, that wouldn't mind swinging by for a test fit I will cut you a discount on a set of panels later. We don't need to drill, just test fit the panel to see if these will work for the pickups as well.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Yeah my cheapest bet would be just to get some extra tubing bent from the rear bumper to the sliders. (when I get sliders)

And yes I know it would be cheaper to get the prebent panels instead of sliders and tube bent and welded but I have wanted sliders for a while.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
Yeah my cheapest bet would be just to get some extra tubing bent from the rear bumper to the sliders. (when I get sliders)

And yes I know it would be cheaper to get the prebent panels instead of sliders and tube bent and welded but I have wanted sliders for a while.
Sliders are a must IMO. As for the other tubing, I just don't see a point in running anything similar to an exo on a rig that sees a lot of hwy use. I've owned a fully built rig with an exo and couldn't keep up with traffic after adding the exo even with 5.29s and only 35s. Mileage dropped by 5mpg too.

Last edited by ScottyC; 05-04-2008 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen 4runner rear corner panel protection now available!