86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1992 Toyota Pickup 2wd Long Travel Prerunner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 Toyota Pickup 2wd Long Travel Prerunner

So I finally made an account and would like to start a build thread for my truck. First a little history. This truck was my dad's daily till the head gasket blew at 316k. We have had the engine and transmission rebuilt since then by Performance22re. Great engine now, not at fast as I'd like but it's a strong runner. It has 15k on the new rebuild and I have been itching for long travel for 6 months now. The main goal of this build is to have a daily driver with a locker in the rear. The front end I would be doing custom 2" extended uppers and lowers, boxed lowers tabbed for coils. Not sure about how I'll create the upper shock mount yet. I have been searching and searching all about long travel. I don't know everything but I think I understand it. I also go to the Oregon dunes every year and would like to take the truck.

FRONT:
2" Extended control arms top and bottom uniballs and heims
4" Lift spindles. CTW (already have them)
2" Extended Heim steering upgrade, Been searching through threads and have some questions.
2.0x8 coilovers.
Bumpstops
Front fenders I'd like to roll myself. I will not be caging this truck
Front tube bumper with led light bar
I have a heim steering conversion in the making. will post pics and links

REAR:
Fabricate a bed cage and cut holes for bypass shocks.
2.0x14"? will have to measure after i mount everything.
Deaver F67 leaf pack
Fabricate lift shackles. Not sure if I'll do a top of the frame mount yet.
Weld new shock mounts to the axle
4.56 Gears
Spartan Locker
33'' General Grabbers (heard they're great for sand)

ENGINE:
Needs to be extremely reliable so I won't do too much
Cold Air intake
TB Bore?
TB Spacer
Electric Fan
Header is brand new, will have a 2.5" Exhaust made by a local guy

Okay so far this is my build list. I haven't done these things yet but I have started to line up all my parts. I will be buying used coilovers and rear shocks to save cash. So if anyone has a line on some nice shocks I would love the info.
I have acquired 4" lift spindles custom made by ctw out of socal. They look great and I can give info on them for anyone who wants to look into them. I also want to do a heim steering upgrade. I picked up a conversion bolt from speedway with a 7 degree taper. then ill mount the heim on the threaded end. The bolts I picked up are the PINTO version. measured the holes and they fit really well, no side to side play. At the moment I'm saving cash for the uppers and lowers to be custom made. So this thread will be updated periodically with pictures and how im progressing. I chose 2" to extend on each side because I won't be putting on glass. This isn't a race truck or for hucking sand hills( although I would be interested in that....) I'm keeping most everything stock, no cage, no tearing up the interior. Just doing suspension upgrades and locking it so I can have a blast on the dunes. I would love feedback and questions and ideas and help. Ill have a bunch of questions on the steering upgrade I'm building. To start my questions if anyone can tell me which side is left hand thread and which side is right hand thread? The left hand thread would be for making sure the bolt doesnt back out over time I'm assuming?? The steering looks super simple. Buy a stick of 1" 4140 and cut to length, drill and tap and thread heims and tighten jam nut? I'm probably not right on the but I haven't seen and tutorials focusing on which heim (RHT&LHT) goes on which side. Hopefully you enjoyed the write up and I'll be sure to have more to come. Thank you so much for reading and please comment.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this thread is in the wrong place I apologize in advance