Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1991 Toyota Pickup Leaning Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
there's other vendors and brands around. old man emu has some (p/n: 303003). i think t-bars are sold in pairs, but you should call the store and find out for sure.

more vendors:
http://www.rocky-road.com/4runner.html
https://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.co...dproduct=-7711
http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Prod...nbarsclearance
http://www.jbccoffroad.com/toyota4.html
http://www.eshocks.com/sway_mult.asp...sQTo&SubChar=Q
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
wow, yeah i just suggested unmatched t-bars as a guess, but now looking at the pics again they definitely look different. my guess is something was up with one of them and they replaced, not sure why they didn't do both - but that's most likely the reason since most of the aftermarket ones have a stiffer spring rate than the OEM ones (t-bar adjustment won't help much if they are actually different). you could buy some new ones or even hit up a junk yard, craigslist, classifieds on 4wheeling sites, offroad shops, etc - lots of people SAS their rigs, so stock t-bars a very abundant and i'd be surprised if you couldn't find several people who will just give them to you.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright so I just put an order in for new Sway-A-Way torsion bars. When I get those in I'll give an update and see if that was the culprit or not. Sure hope it was though.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
before you go and jump to sway-a-way, which is a good brand, shop other ones too, doesn't hurt.

personally I don't suggest junk yards or craigslist. theres some (most) thing better bought new than used. even "great condition" used ones are still used. you don't know how many miles are on em, just how many years they supported the weight of a truck. if that. or how the where treated, driver abuse, never adjusted, fully adjusted, stretched etc

free is always nice but they could have 300k on em of severe offroad use (not likely but still a possibility)
or come from a chicks truck and one of em (passenger) been hitting curbs all the time for a few years (I would know, I tend to go over curbs a lot. lol)
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by bruno4turbo
before you go and jump to sway-a-way, which is a good brand, shop other ones too, doesn't hurt.

personally I don't suggest junk yards or craigslist. theres some (most) thing better bought new than used. even "great condition" used ones are still used. you don't know how many miles are on em, just how many years they supported the weight of a truck. if that. or how the where treated, driver abuse, never adjusted, fully adjusted, stretched etc

free is always nice but they could have 300k on em of severe offroad use (not likely but still a possibility)
or come from a chicks truck and one of em (passenger) been hitting curbs all the time for a few years (I would know, I tend to go over curbs a lot. lol)
Yea I figured getting new would totally rule out the torsion bars cause like you said you never know what your getting used. So either way I hope it's a fix if not I'll figure out what to check next.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 AM

And thanks to everyone whos had some input on the matter definitely put me a little more at ease for the time being
Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 AM

i'm sure you'll be happy with the new t-bars, but personally i would rather spend $250 on something else important besides new t-bars, and just pick up a used set. i've never heard of an actual t-bar failing - it's always the mount but never the actual bar itself, so it's one of the only parts i would say is good to go used. yes the spring rate can diminish with time if the rig had extra weight up front or was maxed out in height for extended time - but the awesome thing about a t-bar is the ability to adjust them when this happens. plus, if you find someone parting out a rig you can simply ask them what the odometer read. also, since there are MANY Yotas out there getting wheeled with IFS and 400k on the original suspension, I wouldn't hesitate. on the opposite side, people buy up IFS toyotas only to immediately SAS with only 100k on the rig...anyways, it's too late since it seems you already bought them.

on a truck like this, i could see the t-bar money going toward something like a front bumper, bigger tires to match that huge lift, taller leaf springs to eliminate those rear blocks, an upgraded idler arm with brass bushes and idler brace since you're most likely keeping it IFS, etc etc but it's not my truck.

also, looking again at the pics - have you touched the driver's side t-bar at all? in the pic it looks like someone lifted that side due to the positive camber on that side...this could explain why that side is higher than the other. if it were me, i'd even just lower that side down and call it good until the wallet is heavier don't forget you'll technically need an alignment each time you mess with the t-bars since they change the camber.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
i'm sure you'll be happy with the new t-bars, but personally i would rather spend $250 on something else important besides new t-bars, and just pick up a used set. i've never heard of an actual t-bar failing - it's always the mount but never the actual bar itself, so it's one of the only parts i would say is good to go used. yes the spring rate can diminish with time if the rig had extra weight up front or was maxed out in height for extended time - but the awesome thing about a t-bar is the ability to adjust them when this happens. plus, if you find someone parting out a rig you can simply ask them what the odometer read. also, since there are MANY Yotas out there getting wheeled with IFS and 400k on the original suspension, I wouldn't hesitate. on the opposite side, people buy up IFS toyotas only to immediately SAS with only 100k on the rig...anyways, it's too late since it seems you already bought them.

on a truck like this, i could see the t-bar money going toward something like a front bumper, bigger tires to match that huge lift, taller leaf springs to eliminate those rear blocks, an upgraded idler arm with brass bushes and idler brace since you're most likely keeping it IFS, etc etc but it's not my truck.

also, looking again at the pics - have you touched the driver's side t-bar at all? in the pic it looks like someone lifted that side due to the positive camber on that side...this could explain why that side is higher than the other. if it were me, i'd even just lower that side down and call it good until the wallet is heavier don't forget you'll technically need an alignment each time you mess with the t-bars since they change the camber.
Yea I would love to spend some money on the things I actually wanted but this pulling to the right and lean is messing with my head big time. I was thinking about adjusting the driver's side t bar first to see if it would help but now that I ordered the new ones I may just wait and have the new ones installed just so I don't mess it up anymore
Old 07-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Inu

Dont forget to jack the truck up when you adjust the t bars. I snapped a socket before wisdom smacked me on the head.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Just measured all the gaps from wheel to fender and the right is definitely down in the front AND back.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Before I go buy a socket to fit the TBars and hop under there and start wrenching can the Tbars affect both the front and rear suspension height? Because after taking the measurements around the vehicle it's definitely off in both the front and back.
I also called Big O back too because my truck was pulling more after they messed with it and they said they tried both TBars and they wouldn't adjust.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Fail on Big Os part. Yes the front being low can pull down the rear slightly, but not a whole lot. If the rears are off by more than 1/2" or so from each side then something else is wrong in the rear. What were your measurements?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
Fail on Big Os part. Yes the front being low can pull down the rear slightly, but not a whole lot. If the rears are off by more than 1/2" or so from each side then something else is wrong in the rear. What were your measurements?
Alright I definitely need to work on measuring skills as I think it came out different each time haha. Anyways about 3/4" difference in front and around 1/2" in back.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:12 PM

By the look of your drivers side control arm adjuster bolt Your bushings are bad or the control arm mount points are pushed inward, Mine are like that but on the drivers side due to previous owner accident.

Your control arms look like they need to be angled down a lot more, If you already have the Tbars cranked all the way then I think you have the mini truck Tbars or they are really messed up.
OEM Tbars should go way beyond that angle.

You should have about 1/4"-3/8" space between your upper control arm and the upper bumpstops.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Punchy
By the look of your drivers side control arm adjuster bolt Your bushings are bad or the control arm mount points are pushed inward, Mine are like that but on the drivers side due to previous owner accident.

Your control arms look like they need to be angled down a lot more, If you already have the Tbars cranked all the way then I think you have the mini truck Tbars or they are really messed up.
OEM Tbars should go way beyond that angle.

You should have about 1/4"-3/8" space between your upper control arm and the upper bumpstops.
So would what your describing be a collision shop repair or my new TBars I ordered?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by lilyota91
So would what your describing be a collision shop repair or my new TBars I ordered?
just worry about your t-bars for now. you should probably get a haynes manual anyway, and that should help you if you want to try and replace the bars yourself (not too hard). you can pick one up from your local advance-auto-zone-reilly store.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
just worry about your t-bars for now. you should probably get a haynes manual anyway, and that should help you if you want to try and replace the bars yourself (not too hard). you can pick one up from your local advance-auto-zone-reilly store.
Alrighty. Got the TBars being dropped shipped from Sway-A-Way today and the Haynes manual coming from Ebay. Hopefully by next weekend I can get under the truck and start operating
Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 AM

yeah, you can pretty much take apart the whole truck with 5 wrenches and a hammer, the haynes just tells you which bolts undo which parts
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM

careful with the t-bars, they are under pressure, jack the body of the truck up to release some pressure, but if it wants to come flying down move fast. buddy of mine broke his collar bone and chipped the top of his humorous with one snapping down.

granted he's not the sharpest knife, but still don't stand/head under the bars when taking them out

and to highonpottery, I've totally seen them fail lol. not from normal use tho, buddy stuffed his tire on a wall after putting used ones on from his old crawler at full crank and it cracked when he slammed down on the ground. he drove it home but it was leaning and every bump he hit his head on something lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:49 PM

Yea gonna have a buddy install them with me and hopefully we get lucky and solve the problem.

Quick Reply: 1991 Toyota Pickup Leaning Passenger Side