Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1986 4Runner 22RE rough idle, rich, no power

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You're talking about the knock sensor. Alan's already ruled that one out. He has a wire going to his KS.

Edit:that's the location for the temp guage sending unit....der. Sorry.

Last edited by thook; 06-27-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thook, I don't have time to read back. I know you said "he's ruled that out", and I'm assuming by my interpretation, ...you meant, "KS is hooked up and fine". If he's not figured out where it goes.....Just curious, ..does Alan have that Sensor in the middle-top of the manifold(screwed in vertically) that has a blue connector and single wire? It looks like a sensor for a dummy light, maybe, ...because it's running coolant by it and the gauge, well, that's directly into the thermostat housing on mine.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, ...."Could it be his dummy light sensor, Mid-point on top of the lower intake manifold?(believe it's just behind the #2 or #3 injector. I'll get pics....if that's possible, hahaha. Just saying, ....that's one that one can miss when trying to slap the harness wiring and such through the gap and 'all this and thataways" lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-27-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my knock sensor isnt in that location. mine is right in front of my starter and fuel filter, middle ways of my block.
i had this strange wire not going to anywhere just hanging around and a cel that was for the knock sensor and i found the sensor and plugged it up and the light went away. and then i pulled the efi fuse to reset it just to be sure.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:27 PM

the sensor im talking about plugs into the intake in that location. looks like the same wire on my engine. but mine has the end of the plug and is connected to the sensor.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:20 PM

this lil guy, here.>>>>

Name:  May18Build038.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  145.9 KB
Old 06-27-2010, 03:21 PM

You'll have to ask thook, ...or someone else.....but I THINK that's the engine dummy light sensor for overheating. Hope to find out myself if that's the one. Mine has a blue connector and looks original.

That the one?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 PM

right location. and i have no clue what color mine is due to my whole engine is brown.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bigalan006
I dont know about yours, but on mine i have i sensor in the location i have circled that has one wire that looks like the one you are trying to figure out.
Originally Posted by thook
You're talking about the knock sensor. Alan's already ruled that one out. He has a wire going to his KS.
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thook, I don't have time to read back. I know you said "he's ruled that out", and I'm assuming by my interpretation, ...you meant, "KS is hooked up and fine". If he's not figured out where it goes.....Just curious, ..does Alan have that Sensor in the middle-top of the manifold(screwed in vertically) that has a blue connector and single wire? It looks like a sensor for a dummy light, maybe, ...because it's running coolant by it and the gauge, well, that's directly into the thermostat housing on mine.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, ...."Could it be his dummy light sensor, Mid-point on top of the lower intake manifold?(believe it's just behind the #2 or #3 injector. I'll get pics....if that's possible, hahaha. Just saying, ....that's one that one can miss when trying to slap the harness wiring and such through the gap and 'all this and thataways" lol.
my knock sensor isnt in that location. mine is right in front of my starter and fuel filter, middle ways of my block.
i had this strange wire not going to anywhere just hanging around and a cel that was for the knock sensor and i found the sensor and plugged it up and the light went away. and then i pulled the efi fuse to reset it just to be sure.
the sensor im talking about plugs into the intake in that location. looks like the same wire on my engine. but mine has the end of the plug and is connected to the sensor.
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
You'll have to ask thook, ...or someone else.....but I THINK that's the engine dummy light sensor for overheating. Hope to find out myself if that's the one. Mine has a blue connector and looks original.

That the one?
right location. and i have no clue what color mine is due to my whole engine is brown.
Here are some pics of my connectors. They might clear up a few questions and comments.

Guage temp sensor right?

Name:  DSC02850.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  37.1 KB

Is this the oil pressure sending unit? Don't worry I will be using a Toyota oil filter when I change the oil.

Name:  DSC02856.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  48.8 KB

I believe this is the knock sensor.

Name:  DSC02854.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  57.3 KB

Here is a better pic of the VSV for the FPR and how I have it hooked up.

Name:  DSC02851.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  61.0 KB

I just loop this hose for now.

Name:  DSC02852.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  49.5 KB

This vac rail came from a later model. I'm thinking about trying to use it to clean up some of the vac lines while eliminating the kinked one that I have. Of coarse there will some ports not used. Any thoughts?

Name:  DSC02853.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  32.7 KB

I have a family member that works at Toyota I'm going to have hime get me a price on a IACV and a VSV. The cheapest IACV online so far is $195 can't locate a VSV online yet.

Due to church and VBS didn't have much time.

Thanks for all of the input.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:16 PM

I'll let someone else chime in on the vacuum rail. It looks quite a bit different, but if you have enough lines and can block off the rest, ....and most important, ...IT FITS(meaning, there's nothing on your rig that's in the way of those rails, lol), then I guess so. Can't find an original, used, for your model, Alan?

I still don't know which coolant plug runs the gauge. Mine is in my thermostat housing, i thought, ...and I thought this one you've shown above was mainly a dummy light switch. I'm sure thook or someone knows. My oil pressure sending unit is on the block under the filter, ...RIGHT UNDER, but I've seen that type and I thought they were for DLX or whatever, ...You know, without the SR5 Gauge Cluster. I know some have a dummy light, only, and they look like a smaller(bout size of a car lighter) plug. My book is so vague on so many things. I'm really trying to find an actual FSM paperback.

Maybe Thook or others feel differently, but I would go OEM-dealer on the IACV and obviously on the VSV. I get 20% off and I think the VSV was 135$ for me, but I can't find the paper....Need to find it in case I need it soon, lol. I'm calling him tomorrow anyway, .....But anyhow, it sounds like you have a good in through your FAMILY MEMBER WHO WORKS AT TOYOTA! Nice lol.

Best wishes, Alan,

Mark
Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 PM

PS> Thook, does he have to AT LEAST pull his plenum and lower intake bolts out some(all the way on the one that slides through the vacuum rail eyelet), in order to get a vacuum rail in?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-27-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM

Yeah, sorry about that. I was posting in a hurry and realized I stated the wrong part afterwards, but I wasn't able to get back to the computer to change it. I have now, though.

As well, if this post actually goes through, I'll be amazed. My area has been stormy today and poor internet connection. Plus, my computer at work, the ISP has been wonky. So, in all, my responses have been thwarted the past couple of days by seemingly uncontrollable circumstance.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:49 AM

Holy moly....I have internet today. It stopped storming!

Okay....looks like you have all the sensors correct, Alan. That wire, I'm sure it goes to the would be temp switch on the thermo housing. I'll have to run a search here in second. I know there's a thread that describes what that switch is for. That'll clear up the questioning around it.

Alan, I would think as long as that vacuum line rail fits in between the plenum and head (I don't see any reason it wouldn't.....it's all 22re) that it would work fine as a replacement.....as the Chefmeister's already said. And, yes....you have to atleast remove one bolt to get it on. But, what I'd do is cut the end of the bolt hole/mounting tab open so it's like the other side. Then, you could just loose the bolts and slide it down in.

I looked on my '86 last night at the oil press. sending unit and it's to the left of the engine mount. But, it does indeed look there's an oil galley plug inside the motor mount which is where your sending unit is. So, so long as it's in the oil galley, it's in a fine location. However, it's seem to me it'd be easier to access not being in the motor mount. .

Last edited by thook; 06-28-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Glad you're out of the Bermuda Triangle, Thook! lol.

Yeah, that's why I logged on, just now, to suggest just that. Just snip the corners of that eyelet and IT'S IN LIKE FLYNN! lol. I only mentioned the "things might be in the way" portion, Thook, because when I look at mine it's REALLY snug in there,...and I'm just not familiar enough with post 87 22re's to know if they added more trinkets in there that might be in the way. It looks like there are more lines, no?...so I would just recommend getting a good vacuum plug kit or just get a couple factory ones from the dealer(I think they're 2$ or so).

It's probably not going to be a problem, Alan. If so, just let me know and I'll be glad to help you fish for a factory Junk Yard rail. IF you can't find one, ...and I can around me, I'd be glad to pick it up for ya and you can just reimburse me.

Best wishes to ya, Alan,

Mark
Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 AM

Yeah, I saw Elvis while I was there. And, he dyed his hair blonde! Looks kinda odd, but he's still rockin'.

I don't really don't know positively if the rail will fit, Mark. I'd atleast try it first, though, since it's on hand. What's a dude got to lose? But, that's just me....
Old 06-29-2010, 10:30 AM

THAT'S WHERE ELVIS IS? Danggggggg, I could have sworn I saw him in this movie named Bubba Ho-Tep! ......wait, that was Bruce Campbell, nvm, hahaha.

Of course, Thook, ....indeed, nothing to loose, sure. YET, .....to tear off the plenum and all that, I would personally first TRY to find the stock one for his truck, just so I wouldn't have to tear it down again if it didn't fit properly. Like I said, "I WOULD probably", ...and I have no idea if he's REALLY strapped for time or cash and needs it back, ....so....>just throwing it out there. This is one from a 22r, and I know it's not the right on, but this seems to be the price range on ebaymotors..... 9-25$.... Junk yard might be around the same price, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-To...item335096650b
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Why would he have to tear the plenum off??? Granted, I've not had the vauum rail on my vehicle in a long time, so I went out and looked at my vehicle. I even dug my rail out the pile o' parts in the shop to check. Looks to me all he'd have to is loosen just two lower intake manifold bolts to slide the rail down in. Shouldn't even affect the seal at the manifold and head. Because I'm not sure of the length of Alan's proposed replacement, the only issue I could imagine is clearing the thermo housing. But, that's a very off chance for that to be one.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Just a quick note from work. I said what the heck, I'm gonna drive it to work (15 miles) this morning and blow some of the soot out of it. I made it without incident. It actually ran really well. It was idling good at stops and no backfiring at all.

I contacted the guy I know at Toyota and he said my price for a IACV is $193. I thought he could do a little better than that. He also said toyota discontinued the VSV.

I checked the oil when I got to work and and it seemed to be watered down with gas. I had forgotten to check this before. I changed the oil and filter (Toyota).

The Toyota guy also sent me a fax of the vac layout and it seems that I had the VSV hoses backwards for the FPR. I swapped them around and also pulled the EGR blockoff out. It started right up and idled really good for now, no more popping as of now. I'll report back tonight if it makes it home. LOL.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 AM

Oh, and I was just getting ready to tell you how the vac lines ran to the regulator. Since I just went out to look at my vehicle moments ago, it reminded me to post like I said I would....der. Oh well. It's done. And, it seems as if you're finally getting somewhere. Very good news for you.....alright!

Gas in oil? Ooooo....not good. Hm....seems as I recall that being a problem with fuel return/evap and all that. Don't remember exactly offhand. I know I posted a link for evap, though......maybe in a different thread for someone else. Me might have to read that again, myself.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Gotcha, .... Remember, thook, ...I was asking you, "wont he have to....?" lol. That'd be great if he didnt' have to pull the plenum.

THAT'S GREAT, Alan! Hope she keeps giving you some trouble free operation. I agree on the Gas in Oil thing, ...but can't remember what it was with my friends truck. I think he had 'return' problems, ...and I guess that would be the Evap system, canister, etc., right Thook? Anyway, thook'll find it! lol.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:32 PM

I hope to post more tonight. I did make it home and it ran pretty good. I need to set the idle some. I'm contemplating trying to clean the IACV someday soon.

I'm thinking the fuel in the oil was from it running so rich, and the injectors bleeding down after shut off and it ran past the rings. Just a thought.

Gotta go.

Quick Reply: 1986 4Runner 22RE rough idle, rich, no power