84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Wheel won't come off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
yes the losseness is what made me think i was missing something so i stopped kicking it and put the nuts back on.
i will let the oil do it's thing or not overnight and try again tomorrow.
stuff like this happens all the time to me(and everybody else) ....to go from A to B involves A1,A2 etc....and B gets further away. that's why i try not to have an unrealistic list of things to do today.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM

HAZ MAT......no, I've heard of Raush Creek....heard there were trails that were tame there as well as high degree ones too, don't want to destroy my trucks, just play a little......used to go wheeling around here in the "strippin's".....for non-locals the "strippin's" are abandoned roads and mountains after "strip-mining" took the coal and left just rocks and dirt everywhere. they are everywhere up here,but of-course all illegal to go on nowadays.
live out in the country now, but all the land is owned by someone no matter where you go......not as fun as it used to be. had procrastinated about going to Paragon in Hazleton but now they are gone and nothing is there anymore.

gold3vze...why 4LOW???
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will let you know the next time were heading to RC. I tend to stay on the easier stuff cause i like the way my far from paid off vehicle looks as well.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:01 AM

yeah but even when they are paid for it still hurts to put money into them........i search the forums looking for 4x4 clubs and stuff in this area and just find old stuff. my 92 has been wheeling many times and only knocked off the alignment once.aside from scrapes and dings it's been very good. However this 1988 4runner is still a work in prgress, that's why today was the 1st time i was taking a wheel off...like i said, done it a million times on my 92 without a problem.
ideally, need to do some motor work on the 1988, waiting to find a bucket of money though 1st. but that vehicle would be my vehicle of choice to goof-off in because i can safely have my 2 sons with me.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Nope.
tried it again.
didn't like the idea of trying to wobble it off driving it.
jacked it up,protected me with a 2nd jack as well.
kicked the crap out of it from uder the truck and turned the tire a little at a time to kick evenly.
no dice.
even with the lugs barely on i rocked th truck side to side and also got in and turned the wheel back and forth several times.
she's on there good.
didn't end up getting the PB Blaster today. I have been soaking it repeatedly with WD40.
i'm done for today.will probably buy the PB stuff tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM

I've used a 10lb sledge hammer on the tires before to remove them. Work them side to side, some times it takes a lot of force to get them to budge.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want to get creative find something solid behind your wheel that you can put a hi lift jack against and just start cranking on it til it comes off. i did this with a truck that had wheel locks and we broke the studs and everything. but only do it if your that desprate. haha.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:35 AM

WD-40 is a water displacement product. PB blaster is a "penetrating catalyst" Go get U some.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HazMat
Nope That's Hamburg, PA. Mechanicsburg is right across the river from Harrisburg.

Do you ever make it out to Rausch Creek? A couple of us are trying to get up there in the next few weeks. More Toyotas are always better.
keep me posted, I'd be interested!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
yes the losseness is what made me think i was missing something so i stopped kicking it and put the nuts back on.
i will let the oil do it's thing or not overnight and try again tomorrow.
stuff like this happens all the time to me(and everybody else) ....to go from A to B involves A1,A2 etc....and B gets further away. that's why i try not to have an unrealistic list of things to do today.
4 low would provide a lot of instant torque, which would "shock" the rim into twisting back and forth, breaking it loose. Try this, honestly, as you stand basically no chance of damaging anything by doing this lol... remember, 4 low, 1st gear, pop the clutch and simutaniously pour on the gas... just not too much...

remember when you put it back on, DO NOT put anything on the studs, as you could "hydrolock" your lug nuts, preventing them from tightening the entire way. In other words, they could stop turning long before it tightens down the wheel. This spells big trouble...

edit: for cost savings and the same effect, just smear the back side of the rim where it contacts the hub with grease. I bought my 97 4Runner in MA, and they use a ton of salt lol. The previous owner had done this and it made the whole process of removing the rim absolutely painless. Literally slid right off.

Last edited by bigtrucknwheels; 07-22-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 AM

yeah thanks.
not much in the mood to try it today.
busy with other stuff.
no anti-seize on the threads??????
yes i will grease or anti-seize the mating hub surface when this is finished.
rausch sounds cool for us too. would love to go someday......when all my vehicles all up to snuff.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

yeah thanks.
not much in the mood to try it today.
busy with other stuff.
no anti-seize on the threads??????
yes i will grease or anti-seize the mating hub surface when this is finished.
rausch sounds cool for us too. would love to go someday......when all my vehicles all up to snuff.
well you could put it on the lug studs, but I honestly don't think you'll need it. They came right off this time, right? frozen lug nuts are one thing I have never encountered haha.. but I guess it wouldn't hurt. Just don't lather them up with grease
Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
keep me posted, I'd be interested!
Will Do!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:59 AM

I think we will all agree FROZEN NUTS ARE BAD!

Yes they were pretty well stuck there as well, so 3 days of WD40 applied each day was enough to free them up.

I have some Copper Anti-seize stuff that my neighbor that works on CATs uses at work on them. I put that on the lug thread of my 92 and it works fine, so I will likely do the same here.

HAZMAT and BIGTRUCKNWHEELS .....PM me when you guys are gonna go to Raush and I'll see what the status of my vehicles is at that point.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had to use a 18lb sledge hammer with a 4ft handle to get mine off.....and it took me about 3 hits on the front and back of the tire...be sure and hit the rim..but dont go crazy...you dont wanna bend your rim..or crack it..or bust a hole in a tire..

and yes..PB helps ALOT..always
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow they really must have over tourqed them at that tire shop you went too..... thats rediculous....um yea you need to try pb blaster. It will get the rotors off cars that they have been on fo 10 years in mud and salt so yea. I use PB blaster on exhaust parts and its perfect. no prob. are you sure one or moer of the studs is not bent? I hope not... but its possible...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 AM

Cool...I'm talking to ya on 2 different posts......

Anyway the guy we bought the 88 4runner from in April had tires (Bridgestone Dueler REVO's 31x10.5-15) put on sometime soon before that. So either they tightened so much that they warped the wheel as someone suggested or it's just the normal crap that happens up here from the salt-treated roads.

like I said, I've never had this kinda problem before.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just go knock that thing off already.......
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 AM

F!
That was STUPID HARD!
Got the wheel off.

Thanks to whoever suggested dropping the clutch........1st I tried wacking the out of it with a sledge to a 2x4 protecting the wheel and hitting it from the backside......splintered the 2x4 (in case somebody was wondering if I was trying hard enough) and not a budge!

Put the lugs back on and put it in 4LOW and dropped the clutch a few times with the wheel cut hard to the right and finally I was able to HEAR it break free.

Did the fit-test on my 92 (that's how this all started, looking to swap tires / wheels to check the different sizing between our trucks)...put some anti-seize on the mating surfaces and lugs, it's all back together and that's DONE.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions, but the twisting motion as well as cutting the wheel hard in 4wd did the trick.

Now......another question...........31x10.5-15's mounted on 15x8's versus 15x7's was the original puprose of this whole thing.

My 15x8 American Racing Type-8's apparently have a substantial offset as compared to the 15x7 SR5 rims from the 4runner........so the end result is I am going to take my 31's and mount them on my ORIGINAL (now painted black) 15x7 wheels that came with my truck standard with the itsy-bitsy tires....look like those wheels have the sme offset as the SR5 rims, but before I go paying to have tires peeled off rims, does anybody have any objections??????

I'm doing this because a State Trooper pointed out (1st time in 18 years) that my tires stuck out more than 2 inches (I always knew that, just never got pulled over). so I have my original rims and tires back on my truck temporarily (yes, 18 year old tires that look like new).
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

My 15x8 American Racing Type-8's apparently have a substantial offset as compared to the 15x7 SR5 rims from the 4runner........so the end result is I am going to take my 31's and mount them on my ORIGINAL (now painted black) 15x7 wheels that came with my truck standard with the itsy-bitsy tires....look like those wheels have the sme offset as the SR5 rims, but before I go paying to have tires peeled off rims, does anybody have any objections??????
they are slightly different, but I have run a 31x10.50 tire on a stock rim (it was my spare that I upgraded in size to match the 31's) and it worked just fine, no rubbing or anything. Of course you loose the cool wider track look, but what can ya do?

Quick Reply: Wheel won't come off!!!