84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Wheel won't come off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Wheel won't come off!!!

Trying to swap around tires on my trucks to check different size configurations. Anyway, on the 1988 4runner, took the lug nuts off driver's front and just assumed I should be able to pull the wheel right off. That's the way it is on my 1992 truck and I assume every other vehicle in the world. What gives???? I sprayed wd40 in between the wheel and the hub thinking something is bound up,but that did nothing. Actually the hub moves when I wiggle the wheel and that doesn't feel right either,but I would think that I could hardly do damage with my bare hands pulling on this.

This 4runner is only ours for the last 3 months so we are still tweaking things and discovering and fixing, and taking these wheels off has not been done by us....but....these are new tires so these wheels have been off in the last year (look brand new).Previous owner said they were new and they look it.

HELP!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the tire raised off the ground? J/k man. Give that thing a good kick or two.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM

yes.
i kicked and i pulled then i cursed and repeated pushing and pulling. then i put the lug nuts back on ,came in the house and found something else to do.
i just didn't like that the hub was moving, but if the wheel is bound up on the hub, i wouldn't expect anything else.
i will let the wd40 soak until tomorrow and try it again.
maybe should have some steak tonight.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could also try a rubber mallet
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Spray some PB penetrating catalyst (http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4) on each side of each lug and let it soak in.

Repeat.

Take off wheel.

Last edited by TheBrownNote; 07-21-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 AM

my concern was that somehow i was missing something.
in my case it seems it is just bound up.
just wanted to make sure there wasn't some simple detail i was missing.
otherwise i will jsut wait for the oil to penetrate enough to free it.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 AM

lug nuts were off.
tire was jacked off the floor.
just couldn't pull the wheel off and it seemed almost as if it was one with the hub.
so i gather it's supposed to be as every other wheel i've ever taken off.
never had a situation like this before. have had my wheels off my 1992 a million times. this 88 is new to us, so i just wanted to cover everything.

glad this is happening in my garage and not on the side of the highway somewhere.

i know when i get this back on i will be coating the lug threads and mating metal surfaces with anti-seize before putting this wheel or any of the wheels back on.

electrolysis?? or just the shameful effect of road salt etc from pennsylvania winters?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 AM

i've seen that PB stuff at the store.probably get some later when i'm out.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

You just have some corrosion between the back of your wheel and the hub body. A little persausion and she'll come off.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 AM

Yeah, try PB Blaster and a rubber mallet and beat the crap out of it.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Shopping list...
PB Blaster
rubber mallet
steaks
Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Sierra Nevada Summerfest
Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
um... you live in penn so i imagine its snowed there a few times with that truck being in it maybe.... You said you took it too a shop and had tire put on it. They prob rammed thoose lug nuts on there with an airgun which they are not technically supose to do but does not hurt its done everyday by alot o shops. Just rust man. Beat it off. I'm guessing its got steel rims. If its got those alloy aluminum then the tech at your shop you took it too for tires must not realize aluminum warps if touqed down too much with an airgun. Home they didn't the rim. But the only way to find out is to get the tire off. Be a man and beat the hell out of it its got nowhere to go but off. don't worry unless your entire hub on the inside has completely grinded up and the spindle broke or something it won't hurt the hub.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 AM

kiroshu, thanks.
original sr5 rims. just got the truck 3 months ago. the previous owner had new tires put on sometime shortly before he sold the truck.
the beatings will continue tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 AM

One of my old cars had wheels that just loved doing this same thing to me. Couple of blows to the back of the wheel with a rubber mallet should do you right. Extra step: when you do get it off, chances are that you'll see the build up of corrosion that was holding it on in the first place. If you can get your hands on a die grinder, it'll take that stuff right out. Then hit it with anti-seize.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
electrolysis?? or just the shameful effect of road salt etc from pennsylvania winters?
PennDOT loves that salt. x3 or 4 or whatever on the PB Blaster. That stuff is awsome.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 AM

thanks HAZMAT......yeah PA roads sure do have a high sodium diet.

surprisingly, the underside of this truck looks soooooo good. especially as compared to my 92 truck.the body itself was very good too.just some rust at the wheelwells, mostly surface, mostly repaired, right front fender needs TLC to try to not have to replace it. gonna take it real slow on that one.

is mechanichsburg where cabela's is at? we're up about 20 miles west of wilkes-barre.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:17 AM

We don't have much rust down here but I had a good one a few years back. County lifeguard trucks. All they do is cruise up and down the beach and often right into the saltwater. The wheel and hub were at one with each other. Tried everything as I couldn't make any money if I couldn't get the wheel off. The mallet was like using a flyswatter. I used a BFH after a night of soaking. Nothing worked.
My last ditch effort was to just put the lug nuts on a couple of turns and drive over a curb at an angle and let the weight peel the wheel away from the hub. Worked the second time without any additional damage other than the rust.

I don't recommend trying this on city streets and only at very low speeds. We were able to do this in the driveway. We had to do this on both front wheels.

Don't worry about hurting your hub, this doesn't hurt it any more than driving it in its current condition and it sounds like you need to address the looseness anyways.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Just put it in 4 low and drop clutch in forward and reverse a couple times with the lug nuts just barely on. Should pop right off. I've had to do this a few times with those 4 spoke sr5 wheels.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
is mechanichsburg where cabela's is at? we're up about 20 miles west of wilkes-barre.
Nope That's Hamburg, PA. Mechanicsburg is right across the river from Harrisburg.

Do you ever make it out to Rausch Creek? A couple of us are trying to get up there in the next few weeks. More Toyotas are always better.

Quick Reply: Wheel won't come off!!!