84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Spacers

I have a set of 33's mounted on 2nd generation wheels - just for wheeling.

I'd like to run them on my 85 but the fronts won't clear the calipers. I am afraid of the aluminum spacers for wheeling - should I be ?

Anybody got a deal on a set of wheel spacers ?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:00 AM

Instead of buying a set of spacers, I would just buy a cheap set of wagon wheels with more backspace. If you really like the 2nd gen. wheels then go with the 1.5'' spacers used for a SAS and don't worry. Just remember that every time you swap wheels, you'll have to swap the spacers on and off, unless you want to run a wider track with your stock wheels too.

Also, I don't know if your 85 is lifted but the extra backspace will increase the chance that the tire will hit the pinch weld inside the fender well (on the firewall).
Old 09-03-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got done with a bad spacer experience... I bought a set of Marlin 1.5"'s to help fram clearance when running 285/75/R16's on 16x7 wheels. They _did_ help the frame clearance, but they created a HUGE issue with the tires hitting the fender lip at full stuff. They also threw my front end WAY out of balance, to the point that the on-road vibrations were so bad my rearview mirror "sang".

I pulled them off after a day and sent them back to Marlin. To their credit they gave me a full refund, though it took 2 months to get it.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I ran 1.5" Marlin wheel spacers on my 85 for over 2 years as a dd...not a problem if installed correctly. PM/email me Doc if you want to know more.

I'm putting 2" wheel spacers on now...

Old 09-28-2006, 07:28 PM

I ran 2" spacers on an truck I had a while ago with 1.5" in back, never had any problems at all. however I just have better backspacing on current truck/rims
Old 09-28-2006, 07:32 PM

I swap wheels all the time (diffirent years) and have never had any trouble with caliper rub. Can you explain why they are rubbing on one and not the other? I know i'm not helping you, but i am curious??
Old 09-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by millertime_t1
I swap wheels all the time (diffirent years) and have never had any trouble with caliper rub. Can you explain why they are rubbing on one and not the other? I know i'm not helping you, but i am curious??

It's a problem specific to the 1st gen Runners if I remember right. My 85 had the same thing.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MNBOY
It's a problem specific to the 1st gen Runners if I remember right. My 85 had the same thing.
not just 1st gen 4runners but all factory SA trucks and 4runners
Old 09-29-2006, 01:50 PM

Well can one of you explain why it is a problem? I have never encountered it. But I have only had a couple of originally equipped solid axle trucks.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by millertime_t1
Well can one of you explain why it is a problem? I have never encountered it. But I have only had a couple of originally equipped solid axle trucks.
the tie rod end hits the wheel
Old 09-29-2006, 05:10 PM

The reason that wheels can’t be swapped between IFS and SFA is due to the different backspacing. The rear axles on SFA trucks is 3in narrower then IFS rear axles. The hubs on the front axles are what creates the different width in the front. The point at which the wheels mount to the hubs is 1.5inches narrower on SFA then IFS, thus making the front of the SFA 3 inches narrower the IFS. The pics show the difference.

SFA hub

IFS hub

If you want to run these wheels that are off an IFS truck with out using wheel spacers or you just want to widen your truck do the following: Swap out the rear axle from an IFS truck to your SFA truck. The axles are exactly the same except, as stated earlier, the IFS is 3” wider. You may have to sawp the ebrake cable also do to the longer width. I had enough play and adjustment in my ebrake cable that this was not an issue for me. For the front you can swap the hub (the part the wheel and brake rotor mount to. Not the locking mechanism, they are not interchagable between IFS and SFA) from as IFS truck on to your SFA. Here is a write up about the conversion.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=sfa+ifs+hub
Its pretty strait forward and took me a day to do and by no means am I an experienced mechanic. Sky manufacturing also sells a kit to do this. They put a spacer in-between the rotor and hub to space it back so you can mount the brake caliber in the stock location. The best part for me about this conversion is I have an 86 parts truck sitting around so everything was free.

Last edited by MtnToys; 09-29-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:45 AM

yeah but he said he is having trouble clearing the calipers. I have never seen them cause a problem?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:50 AM

when I first swapped to american racing black spoke wheels on my '85 4runner I encountered the balljoint problem solved easily with a set of those cheep insert spacers. After doing the brake upgrade to the v6 caliper and landcruiser rotors I had problems with the heatvents on the calipers rubbing the wheel.... this time the cheepie insterts wouldn't do the trick and I had to go to the 1.5" bolt on spacers...I purchased them from allpro offroad. I dont have any problems with these at all and this vehicle is my daily driver.

Last edited by WVpizzaguy; 10-06-2006 at 03:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:24 PM

Just tried to put on my 32x11.5 MT tires but found out it was rubbing against the tie rod ends. If I go w/ Marlin's or TG's wheel spacers/adapters what is the bare minimum I would need? The wheels are stock from my 86 4R. I am not sure on exact backspacing it has currently. Would I be okay w/ the 1.25" spacer or is the 1.50" the one I should use? Also, would I just get the same size spacer for the rear axles?

I really would like to run these tires on my truck but have to figure out the wheel spacer situation first.

Thanks for help guys.
Steve
Old 10-08-2006, 04:43 AM
Banned

Either TG/Marlin/All-Pro all make a good wheel spacer. See how much you are rubbing and go with what you need to clear it w/ some extra.

Torque the wheel spacers to 100 ft-lbs and use RED Loc-tite.

Yep, you'll want the front to match the front on a dd, on a trail rig only, don't matter, as a wider front is usually the norm.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:57 PM

Thanks wabbit for the info. I have another question about the spacers. If one of my wheel stud is broken off a little by previous owner will that give me any problems installing the spacer? The stud is still there but I can't thread a nut on it cause its broken off about half an inch or little less.

Thanks

I can post pic of it if needed.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:58 PM

No pic needed ... definately replace it.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Thanks! I will replace it when I do the front axle rebuild. Does anyone know the part # for the stud?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by WVpizzaguy
when I first swapped to american racing black spoke wheels on my '85 4runner I encountered the balljoint problem solved easily with a set of those cheep insert spacers. After doing the brake upgrade to the v6 caliper and landcruiser rotors I had problems with the heatvents on the calipers rubbing the wheel.... this time the cheepie insterts wouldn't do the trick and I had to go to the 1.5" bolt on spacers...I purchased them from allpro offroad. I dont have any problems with these at all and this vehicle is my daily driver.
im in th eprocess of doing the brake upgrade, i have aftermarket wheels im hoping the wheel will clear the new v6 calipers. if not i was gonna buy new wheels and tires anyways.

as for the wheel stud, i picked up 2 at auto zone forgot the part # but i know they can look it up. they were like 1.25 a piece

Last edited by titicaca; 10-11-2006 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 AM
Banned

Just an FYI...all the aftermarket wheel studs I have found for an 84-89 4Runner DO NOT fit properly as they are about 2mm too large in diameter, yet all the parts stores have the same stupid part and part #. I posted a thread about it. Even though they cost a LOT more, the dealership has the CORRECT wheel studs.

IMO you will not clear the new V6 calipers if they are the finned ones w/o some wheel spacers...so just be prepared. Nothing wrong w/ running the 1.5"-3" wheel spacers if installed properly. I did it for 2 years or more when my 85 was my dd.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers