84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Question about new timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about new timing chain

I printed instructions off here to put a new timing chain and guides on. Everything was surprisingly easy and step by step. Much better then the FSM.
MY question is this. In the instructions it says dont move the crank or cam and reassemble. Should i align the cam and crank with the timing marks or since i didnt move anything can i just reassemble it as is?
Thanks for any info and opinions you may have. I love you guys and
yota tech.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:10 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
OK..gonna give this answer a whirl.

you don't want to move the cam or the crank independent of each other because the valves and pistons will touch each other because they are not coordinated any more....what i've seen said is it's an "interference" engine....which i guess means what i just said.

are you doing the head gasket?

assuming you are not doing the head gasket, then i would say as long as your marks are correct, you are OK......should have had it at TDC on removal....so with the "bright" link on the cam gear the right way (will be at the approx 11:30 spot) the crankshaft gear will be lined up correctly as well.....and then you are all good. i will search for some pics

EDITic added to show the top of the chain

Last edited by 92 TOY; 10-17-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:22 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If you know the painted marks are correct or you you are going off the detent mark on the gears than yes. I'd align them.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:42 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
with the chain on and tensioner in place, he can put the crankshaft bolt back on with the harmonic balancer and turn the crank until it's TDC....right?

that would make sense to me that if he took the chain off without moving the cam or the crank independent of each other that he should be OK anyway since he was OK to begin with (presumably).

do you have the cover on??? i assume not. don't know how you would be able to see where the chain is lining up on the crankshaft gear with the cover on....you would only be guessing i think.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Chains stretch with time, its the whole wear thing and why we replace them. Or wear in the guides. There could be a difference do to past engine work if the block or head were significantly decked and a shim headgasket wasn't used.

Really its the OP's decision, the timing will compensate for a good bit (won't effect the crankshaft/camshaft orientation) after all it ran before.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:25 PM

Thanks, now trying to time it

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and put it together. The bright links on the new chain on the mark on cam gear and mark was between teeth on crank so put it next to mark.
The truck is all back together and it actually started right up. Im amazed. But only issue i have now is its missing a bit. not bad. Hoping i can fix it with the dist.
Ive tried to put it at 5 before TDC and the dist at sp #1 but still missing a bit. So i guess have to play.
Would it miss only a little if i put the chain on the wrong crank tooth? Ill do research on here.
I actually enjoyed working on truck, Few cuss words but only a few. Normally working on vehicle uses many cuss words LOL!!!
Took me 3 days but that was short and easy days. No Rush. Next time wont take me more then a day.
Im a girl and done some work on vehicles. rebuilt and supped up a VW bug engine before and minor other stuff. First time doing a timing chain while engine in car. So i really needed yota tech. Thanks again for the help. Ill post some pics of my yota when i get it fixed up a bit. Sharon
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 PM

good to hear.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
OK..gonna give this answer a whirl.

you don't want to move the cam or the crank independent of each other because the valves and pistons will touch each other because they are not coordinated any more....what i've seen said is it's an "interference" engine....which i guess means what i just said.

are you doing the head gasket?

assuming you are not doing the head gasket, then i would say as long as your marks are correct, you are OK......should have had it at TDC on removal....so with the "bright" link on the cam gear the right way (will be at the approx 11:30 spot) the crankshaft gear will be lined up correctly as well.....and then you are all good. i will search for some pics

EDITic added to show the top of the chain

as far as i know all toyotas 22r/e and 3.0 are all non-interferince engines i actually figured this out the hard way i got my motor compleatly disassembled and told my girlfriend to roll up my windows well ofcorse leave it to her to turn the key all the way over it made easy 2 full rotations and THINK GOD nothing happened, im not sure what would of happened nothing good though
Old 11-11-2010, 04:59 AM

22RE's are an interference engine, the 3VZE isn't.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by pruney81
22RE's are an interference engine, the 3VZE isn't.
oh no not this again. that's twice in two days.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM

hey i have a question for you guys i just put a new timing chain on new gears guides chain tensioner everything and i tightened everything down good and after about 40 miles my timing chain came off again anyone have any ideas why this could have happened this isnt the first timing chain ive put in it either
Old 12-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by oldred84
hey i have a question for you guys i just put a new timing chain on new gears guides chain tensioner everything and i tightened everything down good and after about 40 miles my timing chain came off again anyone have any ideas why this could have happened this isnt the first timing chain ive put in it either

The timing chain just fell off from your cam shaft??
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unless there was some other serious damage/ problems, that is really unusual( unlikely).

Last edited by sam333; 12-10-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:13 AM

yea it is i dont think ive ever heard of this happening...ever
Old 12-11-2010, 10:54 AM

yeah it just poped off the cam gear im completly stumped on this one too do you think it could be the tincioner got weak cuz after i did it i pulled the head and put new valves in it and maby it made it weak from the spring extending out and than getting pushed back in
Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldred84
yeah it just poped off the cam gear im completly stumped on this one too do you think it could be the tincioner got weak cuz after i did it i pulled the head and put new valves in it and maby it made it weak from the spring extending out and than getting pushed back in

I believe that would destroy your motor, or the valves/head at least, since it's an interference engine.

Do you have photos of the carnage we can look and and try to understand what happened and how to best approach?
Old 12-11-2010, 02:43 PM

22RE is not an interference motor. If it was I'd have had to replace the intire valve train. As I have managed to install a cam 180* degrees off! If you switch firing order to 1-2-3-4 it will even run! Doesn't run worth a damn but runs. Lessons learned lol
Old 12-11-2010, 03:25 PM

its a 22r witch is a non interference motor the only reason i had to change valves was i sucked some water and it whips out the valves on the #4
Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 AM

I agree some pictures would be helpfull, but as far as what your saying the tenchioner very well could be the problem
Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have rebuilt 4 22r's, and checked each one and they ARE INTERFERENCE engines.

One pre 85 22r and dont remember if that was interference or not.

If you have the cam off 180 the valves will not hit, but your ignition timing and fuel injection will be off for the cylinders now on TDC compression.

Last edited by sam333; 12-13-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about new timing chain