84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

not a stocker with a locker anymore!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not a stocker with a locker anymore!!!

Well, here is what i have been doing in the last month. ever since i ripped my rear spring hanger off i started lifting my 84 and one thing led to another:

Here it is before, stock on 31's:

and here it is now:

yeah a little different!!! i will get my camera up there and get better pics for you guys soon.

Specs:

84 extra cab

63" chevys in the rear with added leaf for 6" of overall lift
RUF with added leafs, hanger moved down 1" and Forward1" for 6 " of lift overall

39.5"x15-r15 TSL's ran down the highway with 2PSI and still dont buldge at the bottom!!!!

aussie locker in rear
Trail gear cross over

Warn M8000

Drivetrain: stock, for now!

Total cost of truck: $2800 (counting major parts and steel none of the lubricant, selant type stuff but still pretty good)

Soon to come mods:

Longs
Buick V-6 swap running 275HP and 310 FT/LBS!
5.29's aussie rear and elocker/arb HP front
camper shell with pop out tent to sleep 5. (i just have to put it on there
)
Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

whoa. quite a difference!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
hell ya dude that thing looks BA.

I would decide on what gears to get after yuo put the engine in so you can better figure out which ones to put in.

Looks great though, keep the updates coming,
Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM

Wow, that's a pretty big tire to be running on stock gears. I would think about some 5.29s before anything else.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by oldgold3vze
Wow, that's a pretty big tire to be running on stock gears. I would think about some 5.29s before anything else.
yeah i really want gears but that is alot of $$$

I was surprised how well it did on the HWY with the 4.10's.

I cruised at 60 for around an hour, in third and it pulled most the hills pretty well and on the trail it did amazing. I pulled a hill that a f150 with 44" boggers and a 460 could not make!!!!!

I am going to try and do the mtor swap next then the gears, and put longs in whenever i snap the stockers but we are already into the snow wheeling season up here so it is alot easier on the axles, and i also moved the steering stops in alot so i dont hook a lug on the springs while spinning and snap one that way. also it helps to protect the birfs becasue they never get to the extreme angles that usually kill them

Also wheeling up here there are almost no rocks mainly all mud and bogs and with only 4 PSI on the ground in the front and 2.4 in the rear it floats pretty well in the mud and snow.

It was like driving a totally different truck!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:33 PM

thats fricken sweet love the way it looks. i thik regearing it would be the best thing to do as of now. then longs, then a front locker,then duel cases, and finally after that the engine swap. unless you think your engine is gonna go soon i wouldnt worry about it, it sounds like its pretty strong to go 60 with 39 inch tires.

oh also ive heard of just taking the valve stems out and driveing around the block to help loosen up the sidewalls on those tires.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 85toy
thats fricken sweet love the way it looks. i thik regearing it would be the best thing to do as of now. then longs, then a front locker,then duel cases, and finally after that the engine swap. unless you think your engine is gonna go soon i wouldnt worry about it, it sounds like its pretty strong to go 60 with 39 inch tires.

oh also ive heard of just taking the valve stems out and driveing around the block to help loosen up the sidewalls on those tires.
thanks man

yeah i might have to try that becasue they are way stiff, and i got to break the bead and put in some airsoft BB's anyway for balancing.

I was jsut saying longs first becasue i can live with slow and no power but i cant live with a broken front shaft... reliability before performance!

I dont think i will ever do dual cases or 4.7 low becasue i dont need it up here, we dont do any rocks really, all bogs and mud so i think the 5.29 and the motor will get me through.

And my motor is pretty strong but the head is going i think becasue it burns oil alot and at high rpm floats valves and i really want the V-6 power!!!
and it is taking up room in my garage so i need to get it in there!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
hell ya dude that thing looks BA.

I would decide on what gears to get after yuo put the engine in so you can better figure out which ones to put in.

Looks great though, keep the updates coming,
i thought about that but if i regear i will go as low as is strong, 5.29 becasue when the tsl's wear out and if i can afford a trailor i am thinking ag tires!!!

they make some 18.6-16 ag tires that come out to be around a 40" tire and it would be sick!!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:27 PM

so here is a better side pic.

i got a couple more but i need to get time to post them up still

bad news is i blew the motor so the v-6 is alot more of a priority now!!!

also think i am selling the camper becasue it is nice being able to sleep 5 but i need the money for the motor swap and it is a little top heavy.

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 11-03-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81

i got a couple more but i need to get time to post them up still

bad news is i blew the motor so the v-6 is alot more of a priority now!!!

also think i am selling the camper becasue it is nice being able to sleep 5 but i need the money for the motor swap and it is a little top heavy.
Moving 39.5x15 TSL's and stock gears? Naw!!! Really though that sucks man.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:57 PM

well i got all the engine swap parts ordered up so in a couple weeks i will be throwing that thing in and get to try her out for some good snow wheeling!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
come do that to my 4runner man!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:10 PM

looks like you moved the front axle up a bit.

EDIT: I see in your sig, nvm

Last edited by hmmwv15; 11-19-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by thedude42
come do that to my 4runner man!
it was actually really cheap and only took two really long weekends!!
used shocks out of a stock full size dodge, rear chevies were 50 bucks and rears i had, plus about 100 bucks in steel and some planning and you could do it too.

I think my next project will be a 2nd gen 4runner with 4.3 and 37's for the fiance, so when she starts popping out little ones we can still wheel!!

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
looks like you moved the front axle up a bit.

EDIT: I see in your sig, nvm

yeah it is actually 3.5" forward, moved the hanger forward an inch, the best part is i didn't have to do any fire wall mods besides trimming the seam, just so i dont cut tires and i havent rubbed yet (in the front).

I think i am going to lower her and inch or two when i relocate the gas fill neck and cut the rears out more, should be able to take some of the other leafs out of the front and make it ride better and have a better stance.

V-6 swap is going first and i have to get it going by january for a trip up the stampede trail to the infamous bus from into the wild!!! should be a good time!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 PM

so finally got the new motor in. not quite running yet but getting real close!!
some pics:

and the new stance, only about .5" lower, if that:

Is it bad these pictures make my mouth water? i want to wheel it again so bad i can taste it!!

All i got to do is exhaust, 4 wires and plumbing and she should be rocking!!!

hoping for the weekend after next to be able to try her out!!! I will keep you posted
Old 12-29-2008, 03:53 PM

63" chevys in the rear with added leaf for 6" of overall lift
How did you get 6" lift from chevys?
What was the extra leaf?

I got 3.5" from Chevys with an AAL.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 4runner Freak
How did you get 6" lift from chevys?
What was the extra leaf?

I got 3.5" from Chevys with an AAL.
1) i used the bigger 4+overload packs vs the smaller 3+overload pack. slightly stiffer, cause i haul alot of and used to have a camper on it.
2) I have really long shackles to match my custom hangers that came out kind of tall i think i have 7.5" shackles at 45º

so prob only 3-4 out of the spring and the hanger and shackle made the extra 2-3.

I want to tub the back and then lower the hanger about an inch to lower it more but that might get scratched if i ever go to AG tires like i want to!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:31 PM

1) i used the bigger 4+overload packs vs the smaller 3+overload pack. slightly stiffer, cause i haul alot of and used to have a camper on it.
2) I have really long shackles to match my custom hangers that came out kind of tall i think i have 7.5" shackles at 45º

so prob only 3-4 out of the spring and the hanger and shackle made the extra 2-3.

I want to tub the back and then lower the hanger about an inch to lower it more but that might get scratched if i ever go to AG tires like i want to!!!
Now it makes sense!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 AM

TS ALIVE!!!!!! didn't get any new pics but got to hear her roar last night!!! all i got to do now is get exhaust done have my custom P/S line made and wire my electric fan and i will out for a test ride!!! i am so stoked!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Good lookin truck. Maybe I missed it but who makes that front bumper?

Quick Reply: not a stocker with a locker anymore!!!