84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Need some guidance on lifts/ tire size

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some guidance on lifts/ tire size

So right now i have an 85 4runner, with a 2" OME suspension lift that was installed when i bought it. Leafs all around also has 31" tires. Its my dd, but i enjoy wheelin it sometimes and i will more in the future.

I possibly want to lift it up to 4", but i dont know what all that would mean, like new shocks and/ or leafs? And then tires, i worry about the loss of power.

You see, im a noob and was raised in the city, so some advice would be great. Yes i know theres already a lot of info on the stuff.

Honestly im pretty much looking for a good combo of on and offroad performance, and looks.... and i dont want any rear end sag!

THANKS
Old 05-17-2014, 08:04 PM

OME is a nice lift. Have you considered trimming for 33" tires? Get out wheeling first and see if you like it. There is a lot more to consider besides lift. Recovery, good maintenance, winch,lockers, your safety. I say start small. Learn to build it yourself.as you build it and wheel with each change your driving skill should improve. Learn from people that have done it for a long time.

I find too many times people try to build the badass rig before they can drive. Build a rig based on what you need which is based on what you found to be your rigs biggest weakness. It's only my opinion but you will enjoy learning as much as the driving. Your tool selection and fabrication/ mechanical skills will evolve with your truck.

That's what I would do. Two of my rigs only have 2.5 " lift with 35's and I been wheeling for years.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will get that ome suspension
Old 05-29-2014, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bambino840
OME is a nice lift. Have you considered trimming for 33" tires? Get out wheeling first and see if you like it. There is a lot more to consider besides lift. Recovery, good maintenance, winch,lockers, your safety. I say start small. Learn to build it yourself.as you build it and wheel with each change your driving skill should improve. Learn from people that have done it for a long time.

I find too many times people try to build the badass rig before they can drive. Build a rig based on what you need which is based on what you found to be your rigs biggest weakness. It's only my opinion but you will enjoy learning as much as the driving. Your tool selection and fabrication/ mechanical skills will evolve with your truck.

That's what I would do. Two of my rigs only have 2.5 " lift with 35's and I been wheeling for years.
Hey thanks man thats some great advice!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 PM

I'm with Bambino. Lots of guys build these rigs to "go big or go home," and that's awesome, they can certainly do that -- it's an amazing breed of vehicle. Just remember once you make the migration from a 2-inch to 4-inch lift, you're entering territory where other mods become necessary, stuff wears out faster, day-to-day driving can be less pleasant, etc., depending on what you do specifically. The Emu lifts are wonderful -- you've already got a good, crossover setup between a DD for the highway and light to medium off road use. If you want that thing to do heavy crawling or just have a big stature, don't blame you a bit, but that comes at a price, both the wallet kind and others.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 AM

I actually watch the classifieds quite heavily for guys that blow a tonne of cash for parts for the big rig and then realize they are in way over there head. With patience I've been able to pick up truckloads of new parts from guys " just want it gone"