84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My boy's '85

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wardamneagle
Apologies for the thread hijack. Are you saying that your 85 4Runner is an SR5 and did not come with an altimeter? I have a hard time believing that. Are you sure it's an SR5?

I have an 86 4Runner SR5 and it didn`t come with the altimeter/inclanometer either, but i have one that i will be installing.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm told it has 112K on it. I'm going to go over it real good with him when I get home in June. Stuff like brakes, fluids, cleaning it up on the inside, etc.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Well, I've been back from Korea for a few months now and we've done several little projects to his 4Runner. We got the gears fixed and swapped out, but blew an old rusted brake line while bleeding the brakes. We're replacing the section of brake line tomorrow. Here's a link to some updated pictures.

http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/p...z71/?start=all

Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW! I thought I cleaned mine up nicely when i put it back together, that is pristine!

What floor kit did you use? I've seen a few different ones fo rsale (assuming that is new)
Old 09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Nice Job on cleaning up the interior looks great. the Runner did not have the rear heat? Console looked kind of short to me, my'86 had the rear head and it is something I was wondering about adding to my '81 Trekker for the kids in the back...Keep up the nice work..
Old 09-12-2008, 06:05 PM

B-e-a-utifull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 12:56 AM

Very nice looking rig!! Mine is far from that clean. )
Old 09-14-2008, 05:44 PM

nice runner, i like the old 80's side graphics.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 88wildrunner
nice runner, i like the old 80's side graphics.
Hell yeah! Those diagonal side striped are totally... 80s. I'll be gettin some if I ever get a paint job!

Beautiful 4Runner.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:06 PM

We got the vinyl floor from www.auto-interior.com. If I remember correctly it was around $130, including shipping. That was for the front and rear passenger area only; the vinyl in the cargo area was still in great shape.

No rear heat on this one.

We took the stripes off, they were pretty faded. He wants to leave them off, so we got some buffing to do to get the paint to match a little better.

Last edited by mountaineertom; 09-15-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 PM

Well, It's been a pretty productive month or two and a good Christmas for my son (and me too ).

For Christmas, we got him a set of tube doors from 4xInnovations. Adam is great to deal with. I didn't realize how handy the dorr hinge kit would be and didn't order them with the doors, but then ordered them later. Thanks to members 1985 4Runner and lofreqjeff for answering a bunch of questions I had a bout theirs and helping me on my decision. We can't wait for summer to get here. We're planning on adding a bikini top by the time summer comes around too.

My mom got him an Inclinometer off of Ebay. He was very happy with that.

And we changed out the bulbs to blue LEDs. I like the color (it matches the sterao pretty well) but I don't like that they won't dim, they are either on or off. I guess they don't draw enough power. Not that big of a deal though. I can't take pictures without the flash without them being blurry.

He used the money he got from relatives and some that he had saved up to get a new set of 35x12.50.15 BFG KM2's. He's dying to get these things on, but is saving up for some black steel series 97 15x10 rock crawlers.

We did a lot a maintenance on it this wekend; Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, pcv valve and front brakes. I couldn't believe how easy the front brakes were. I didn't realize that you didn't have to remove the calipers to change the pads. One other thing we did was to add an underhood light. I got the light off of a car in the junk yard 10-15 years ago and intended on adding it to an old Chevy Beretta we used to have, but never got around to it. It worked out perfect for the 4Runner.

Last edited by mountaineertom; 01-20-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
NICE TRUCK!

Here is a Badland bumper the Baja model

Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 PM

Very nice 4runner, very nice colour, looks a bit like my grocery getter but higher

Last edited by Justinvd; 01-19-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 PM

Were did you get the vinyl floor?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by oleboy
Were did you get the vinyl floor?
He posted a link earlier in the thread.

Nice lookin 4runner! I second or third or tenth what everyone has said about that front bumper, it is hideous lol. And if the fenders are clean under the fender flares, I would ditch those too, it would look alot cleaner IMO.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:27 PM

The vinyl floor came from www.auto-interior.com .

The front bumper has kind of grown on me. It surely ain't pretty, but it's sturdy as hell and gets the job done. I've stood on it several times and it doesn't budge. Someone had mentioned earlier that they were suprised the front bumper has held up. It's welded to the frame and not attached to the bumper. It's definately unique.

I like the fender flares on there. It is rusted a little bit behind the flares on the rears. While I was in Korea, my son said it had no rust on it, put I was pretty sure he didn't know where all to look. I think he was so excited about the possibility of getting that he didn't notice little things that needed fixed that us older guys notice a little more. I think he got a little down after I pointed out a few rusty spots. He mentioned that maybe he shouldn't have got it. I told him it was fine and to be expected on a 23 year old vehicle.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaineertom
We can't wait for summer to get here. We're planning on adding a bikini top by the time summer comes around too.
Nice looking truck and I am envious of the father/son work on the truck time! Mine aren't quite old enough yet, but they already help when they can.

I know where you can get that bikini top kit as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Nice looking truck and I am envious of the father/son work on the truck time! Mine aren't quite old enough yet, but they already help when they can.

I know where you can get that bikini top kit as well.

Thanks. I love working on it with him and that he has that interest in him. We've had a lot of fun together working on it. Years ago, I thought he was going to be one of those kids that likes to play video games all day and night. I was just telling him the other day while we were doing the brakes that one day when I'm old and can't do anything, he could have all my tools and would have to take care of doing all my oil changes and brake jobs.

Your site was one of the first site we came across when researching them. We were considering trying to fab up our own using an FJ40 top, but if we don't I'm sure we'll be hitting you up.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Kinda cool you get to hangout with your kid like that, I had to learn it all myself and do it all myself since my fathers an alcaholic... Your kid will look back on that someday and enjoy it.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Your kid will look back on that someday and enjoy it.
I hope so.

I don't know, I think it's pretty clean on the inside, concidering it looked like this when we got it. Thats a pack of tennis balls that were holding the stock radio up. It wasn't even attached to it's mounting points.

We got his wheels and tire put on this weekend. We're going to mask off around the wheels weights and spray them black so they don't stand out as much.

Last edited by mountaineertom; 02-02-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: My boy's '85