84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Incessant drive-train squeal. Cannot figure it out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Incessant drive-train squeal. Cannot figure it out.

I have a very annoying high-pitched squeal coming from the drive-train somewhere and I cannot figure it out. I just got the front end back together with- Professionally installed OEM wheel bearings, which I thought for sure was the cause, even though there was no play in the originals. I had the brake rotors turned and I installed new pads even though the ones in it were only at about 1/2 wear. New, professionally installed u-joints in the rear d-shaft.
The squeal occurs above 20 mph, in 2wd, 4hi, 4low; hubs locked or not; with front d-shaft removed (rear-wheel drive only), with the rear d-shaft removed (front wheel drive). Hubs lock and unlock smoothly. Temperature does not effect it at all. Squeals every second (with a millisecond break in between squeaks, almost like having a card in the spokes of a bike). Constant with drive-line speed, increases consistency and volume as speed increases. Constant from 20 mph up to above 45mph, when it kind of squeals in "waves", meaning it squeals for a random amount of time, goes away, then comes back. Its not the speedometer cable ( present with it installed or not). Spindle bushings were lubricated with the wheel bearings. The rear pinion flange is not loose, nor does tightening/loosening it effect it. T-case out-put flange has no play, but is weeping a very little amount of oil. Is present whether the brakes are engaged or not. Was present before and after the engine rebuild. New clutch, pilot bearing and throw-out bearing with the engine rebuild. Does it in any gear, whether the clutch is engaged or not. There are no vibrations, shakes or rumbles of the like in the steering or of the wheels. I cannot reproduce it with the tires in the air in my garage. I cannot tell if it is from the front of rear for sure, but it does appear to be coming from the front, or at least in front of the rear seats.

Some bearing in the rear axle maybe?

I am at a loss. Its very annoying.

'95 4Runner, 22re 5spd.

I put this in the wrong section on accident. I meant the '86-'95 forum... Could it be moved please?

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 03-02-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good one. Let me just throw this out there and confuse you more. Many years ago early 2000s Nissan pathfinders had a rolling hum/rubbing/squeal due to defective (too hard rubber) front wheel bearing seals and a front dust shield redesign recall. Wouldn't make noise rolling in air. I know we're talking apples and oranges. Seals new? Same brand? sorry.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 AM

i had an identical issue on my 4runner, i pinpointed the noise to my right rear brake and after i took the drum apart, i found that my right spring retainer had lost its pin and my spring and those two little plates were rubbing the brake pad. To pinpoint the noise i jacked up the truck and spun the wheels looking for noise. Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hm, rear brakes. Possibly. I'll look into it. I have never gone through them. Was your squeal present with the brakes engaged or not?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:45 PM

mine was constant until about 50mph then either i couldnt hear it or it stopped, i couldnt tell you. oddly enough, when i used the brakes, the squealing didnt change.