84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Here's my 85 Toy---Wha' do ya think ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my 85 Toy---Wha' do ya think ?

This is my 85 toy.
We bought this truck brand new from dealer in Memphis.
Went from stock tires to 33's, then to 38.5's, then after about 4 years sold it.
I tracked it down after 20 some odd years and found it
in a barn behind a man's house. It had been in the barn and out of the weather for over 15 years.
Below is what it looked like at it's best, with 44's.
Currently has 35's and either staying with that, or going down to 33's, gonna make it a daily driver and take care of
"my baby".
Attached Thumbnails Here's my 85 Toy---Wha' do ya think ?-22.jpg   Here's my 85 Toy---Wha' do ya think ?-21.jpg   Here's my 85 Toy---Wha' do ya think ?-28.jpg  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought my 4Runner was high, when you open the door is there a set of steps that lower down so you can get in ???. It is a very nice looking truck though.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Well...
If you're looking to actually wheel it, then you're gonna wanna get springs that dont run down at a 90* angle, lol.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 PM

dude that thing is huge hahaha, i love it
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Pretty cool you found it after 20 years.... I found my first car a while back in a heep next to someone's house.. was tempting to buy it... the ol 82 Honda Accord Hatchback...that thing would mob with meaty snow tires on it. I took it up lots of trails to parties in highschool. As long as you didn't get high centered it did great. Are the kids on those photo's all grown up now?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
20 years ago .. that was the way it was .. where do you think "monster trucks" came from .. Very cool you found it after 20 years ..

I parted my "baby" out after owning/building it for 12 years (it was an /80) I just couldnt bare the thought of someone else beating up on her ..

building a trekker now though ..

what are your plans for the truck .. I know DD , and 33s .. but over all -- are you now going to restore it ?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:44 PM

Man that is one big truck.. Can't believe you found it after so many years..
Old 08-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Sorry....

Hadn't been on in a while, but saw all the responses, so I'll try an answer all the questions....

1st-when i got it back and it had 44's on it, I had to grab a hold of the steering wheel with my right hand and put my leg on the front left tire to get a push off enough with my right leg stretched out to get it(with a big grin on my face the whole time)...granted, I'm 6'4" tall, and once you got in, it was even better.

2nd--no steps or ladders that open up when door opens, however, i did have 2 different size step stools for my wife to step up on while i held her hand for her to get it.

3rd--yup, i am restoring, just sold the lift kit on Ebay,rhino lining on the inside(any comments).

I still have 8" springs for it if anyone is needing($150), hoping to have A/C and paint done before Christmas, then start working on the inside next year. Contemplating doing

Lastly, I am trying to find original doors that were on the truck with the smokers windows in the corners, anyone know where I can pick up 2 in good shape ?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you prep the hell out of the cab when you go to rhino line it, i am in the process of the same right now with my 86'. Get u a wire wheel and a power drill, then scuff away, makes life so much easier but remember to go and touch up any missed spots by hand or block. Pull all the plugs from the floorboard, tape off any body mounts/screws accessible and for god's sake make sure you take your time, you don't want it to be a waste. other than that you'll love it i am sure