84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Heater trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater trouble

Hey all,

I am having an issue with my heater. Living in Northern California I do not use my heater that often. But lately with this wet weather I have needed my defroster, and have not been able to use it.

I have run a search on this issue. But have found no pertinent information.

When I turn on my heater is makes a very weird noise, kind of a high pitched intermittent whirring. Not exactly sure how to describe it. I have made a video where you can hear the noise. The noise comes on no matter which setting I use. No air comes out of any of the vents. I want to start pulling it apart, but do not know where to start on repairs. Also I am too broke to buy any replacement parts at the moment. But I would like to find out what it is so I can start setting money aside for the parts. It would be great if it was something that is disconnected, or some other free fix.

I have never taken a heater apart before, I will be using a FSM when I do start taking it apart.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone heard this noise before?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Not sure whether this video is going to attach, here is a link to my photobucket: http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/Ra...d64a8.mp4.html

[/IMG]
Old 02-13-2014, 03:33 AM

It sounds to me like it is your fan (obviously). Haha. My guess is something broke in the assembly. From the sound, it's the blades. Possibly where the motor shaft attaches to the blade base. I would try pulling it apart and see if you can fix it without buying parts. The motor works. I with the plastic, you can normally heat it up and try to glob things back together if you are broke and can't afford a new part for a bit. It's a thermoplastic so it will permanently deform and change the chemical composotion. So only do it as much as necessary because it will slowly weaken.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the hints xcFunrunner. I have been looking in my FSM and there is no write up for the heater. Other people have asked about from the searches I have done and it is not in the FSM at all.
From what i have been reading you have to take apart the entire dash to get to the heater core. Seems like a major PIA job, not something I can just take an hour to do and poke around and put back together, its going to be an all day operation.
I think I am just going to wait until work picks up I can afford to buy all the parts I may need at once. If anyone has any ideas or hints in the mean time I would really appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take the lines to the heater core and disconnect them at the little valve. Then use a piece of hose and connect it to the outlet line. Then take a rag and a blowgun and sealing it off as best you can take the air and blow into the inlet. This will blow out any built up gunk or whatever in the core. Just did it on my T100 as I was NOT going to take apart the dash unless I had to.

btw, you need a helper as someone will have to hold the return hose in some sorta container. I used an empty coolant jug, then I poured it out over a rag to see what was in there. YOu wont lose much coolant either btw.