84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Guess I wont finish, selling project advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Guess I wont finish, selling project advice

Well, teaching myself would take too long. Ill spend a fortune relative to my income to store it so i can finish it. Mistakes and all told, at least 5K went into what ill call updating my 85 Pickup. Now i need to get some advice on how to best sell a truck that will need to be towed. I have for a while had a feeling it sat too long without a real mechanic lookin at it. 2 years in a garage then 7 months not running half of which id say I was sadly unaware of ˟˟˟˟ it would need in that situation. A lot was spent just cleaning the engine. Im gonna clean it up and get pictures of where I am, suffice to say i kept having to redo the electrical when i discovered something new. but i have all the wiring you could need for the job, brand new headlights but screwed up that job and you cant get it back to clear after that, unused lmao. Levity, only thing keepin me smiling on a depressing day. So, all told, heres the trucks condition. New 2 barrel carbeurator installed, a KIPA off of Amazon. New spark Plugs, and possibly wrong 8mm noise suppression wires I bought before i knew it mattered or there were different kinds. new valve cover gasket. New igniter off amazon, Accell performance coil bought before I learned a thing. front brake pads and rotor replaced Duralast and ACdelco, also new shocks non coil, and flushed brake fluid. over and under leaf spring helpers from RideEffex..... sigh, i want to keep it. Awesome to my eye silver paint job and Slipknot S decal on the front. Dont judge, i do me lol. New distributor installed. New mechanical fuel pump. New Fuel filters, in tank intake and outside the tank, also cleaned the fuel tank. New vacuum lines in the bay. Alternator in good condition according to Autozone. Cleaned it which took a good minute. But there is a drawback to teaching yourself with borderline, impulsive. New ignition cylinder but no ignition swith in the upper bracket. Instead i have a 3 position (supposed to be my own form of antitheft) next to where the neutral safety switch would normally be, it didnt have one. Have the combination switch, but its half disassembled. laughable sized lightbar installed but not wired on top of the cab. A year ago i didnt know half the terminology. Still have the bed liner but i took it out to make real estate, but i had planned on making a camper from scratch, suffice to say the bed has some body work, its fine, just not quite complimentary to the paintjob i gave it. oh i did strip and sand it to metal for a fresh job. Bout a month there. Never had AC or as far as i am aware heater core. Have a feeling im wrong bout the heater, just cant remember.

Theres more, pictures will tell more but i listed the bulk of my work since August. Now i have 6 days to sell or find a way to store it. I dont want to lose it, but again, dont have the means and im out of time and things are being decided for me. I need to know how to proceed. How and can I even sell it, have one mechanic buddy offer me 2 grand before i touched it now wont take it. He isnt a truck guy, hes mostly got BMWs in his garage he runs in his garage. Also doesnt do electrical which is really vwhat i was teaching myself. California didnt make it any easier. All told, Id call it a project car no more no less. Tons of potential. I THINK.

Please, advice, humbling day.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:42 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to get rid of it. 85's go for pretty good money depending on condition. Look on CL and see. Post up on FB Marketplace or BAT and see what you can get. Post up some pics so we can give you a better idea.
The following users liked this post:
2ToyGuy (04-13-2022)