84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Dave's 1984 Toyo Pickup. Marlin Crawler, and lots o stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
You are gonna want to brace those shock hoops. They usually have two braces on each side.
too bad they put in 14" hoops. 12" don't need the inner fender cut...
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will do. Any ideas on how to brace them? I know they are welded to the frame..other than that IDK
Old 11-26-2012, 07:52 AM

nice rig i have a friend in MI with simular gear set up on a 4runner..... lots of gears to choose from lol
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that guy really put in a ton of work into it.

Originally Posted by dropzone
You are gonna want to brace those shock hoops. They usually have two braces on each side.
too bad they put in 14" hoops. 12" don't need the inner fender cut...
I'm going to be doing the same thing you said. I'm gonna be ordering the 12" shocks on mine when I finally Get my SAS parts all ordered. Don't like that fender cutting letting mud and dirt into my motor area.

Looks like you have a ton of work, in cleaning, to do on your rig. Lol good luck man.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 AM

Not sure what all cleaning there is?j
Any idea on HOW to brace the shock hoops? I may try to fab some covers that protect the top area of the shock hoops and keep crap out of the engine compartment.

I posted a thread on pirate..and got flamed like crazy for my front shackle being too close to the frame.. Ideas?

Last edited by dropzone; 11-28-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM

I'm not sure on that information. I'm still new to the SFA scene. Barely getting into it myself since mine is coming in the near future. If you find out let us know. About the pirate website, I wouldn't.trip too bad on it. A lot of people on that website hate on a lot of people. Although a lot also know whAt they're talking about a lot of others just trash talk. Which is why I never joined to begin with. Yotatech always seemed to be the most helpful to me prior to making any accounts.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 AM

I understand their points..but ive never dealt with a front leaf sprung vehicle. Ive built 3 solid front axle vehicles...just all had coils up front
Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Pirate wants to see tech. A SA Toyota was nothing new.
As far as your front shackles they are resting on the frame and therefore your front springs aren't gonna work like they should.
Looks to me whoever built your truck put longer lift springs on the truck and didn't use a dropped front spring hanger.
I moved my front hanger 3/4" forward. Some boomerang shackles might help in your situation (look at sky's off road's website)

Bracing shock hoops: they should have had a tube brace going from the hoop to the frame
Think of a smaller diameter tubular gusset.

Hope this helps
Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 AM

Ill definately look into the boomerang shackles. Hopefully that will be a fix. The truck flexes great. I just dont want to create more uptravel than whats good.

Ill talk to my fab bud about some shock hoop gussets.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM

The goons over on Pirate are actually offering viable information now.
Boomeranges will not help, so they say, and my buddy agrees.
Answer is to move the hanger forward.

2nd..My noise is from my drive shaft..need to get a full CV shaft..my pinions are off phase.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 AM

Have you found your water leak yet? I had a 71 chev that was leaking down the drivers side pillar. It was from the rain gutter rail failing. I ended up using some calking to fix it. I don't remember what kind of calking, I'm sure it was some sort of auto body specific.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Hasnt rained lately, and havent washed it.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM

What would be the best way to upload videos on here? FOrgot I got a few on my phone, in one video you can hear the metal sheathing noise, in one you can kind of hear the down shifting noise.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 PM

I usually upload my videos onto YouTube. Best thing is you can upload your videos off your phone using the YouTube app.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 AM

So for christmas im going to invest in a few things for yoder.
1st will be a Marlin Crawler knob to replace to stock toyota t case knob which is useless now that it is only a H or L shifter.

Need opinions on this.. My tranny shift knob is wearing out, looks pissy.. Should i invest the 50 bucks into the nice Marlin Billet one on there site? Looks darn nice.. but 50 bucks?

Will probably clean out the floors, add some bondo and fiberglass, re-bedline with raptor liner or herc, dynomat the floors, and then add some cheap carpet. Been asking around about paint jobs and found a few decent quotes..this will prolly happen around tax time..

Only question is..what color?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 AM

barbie pink! just kidding, honestly i like the blue that comes on the newer tacomas, i havent seen aybody do an older pickup in that color and i think it would look good, as far as your trans issue goes im not sure how i can help you, you could pick up a junkyard trans and swap your cases onto it
Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
barbie pink! just kidding, honestly i like the blue that comes on the newer tacomas, i havent seen aybody do an older pickup in that color and i think it would look good, as far as your trans issue goes im not sure how i can help you, you could pick up a junkyard trans and swap your cases onto it

Dont think anything is wrong with the trans? Only thing I need is a shift knob... lol

The noise ive been hearing is the drive shaft. That will get addressed soon.

I like the darker blue like tim Steele's..but i dont wanna copy him. May go just standard red, yellow, or dozer yellow
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 AM

alright i must have missed that part, dozer yellow would look pretty good on our trucks but nody has yet to do it lol, you would def be the first
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 AM

Got an offer...someone wanted to trade me a clean 99 taco with a 6" lift and 33s. Idk if i want to deal with ifs though
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM

So.. when I address the front shackle being too close to the frame Id like to take the front up another inch or so and get it level with the back. Would I be better off buying new leafs? Or buying an extended shackle? I doubt this shackle is stock..maybe it is ..toyota noob. Just want to get the angle right, and get it up another inch or so up front.

Quick Reply: Dave's 1984 Toyo Pickup. Marlin Crawler, and lots o stuff.