84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Advice needed for 1985 4x4 pickup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed for 1985 4x4 pickup!!!

I got a 1985 Toyota 22r carburetor base model pickup for $500. All in all its in pretty good shape but when I bought it the carburetor was missing so I had to buy one of those. Also I noticed that the previous owner had drilled bigger screw threads in the intake manifold so I had to buy one of those as well. The shop wanted$600+ to put the manifold and carburetor on. But my question is should I do this and hope the truck runs right or should I switch the truck to EFI? Also while I'm doing this I have considered just rebuilding the motor it only has 200k What's the cost to have it rebuilt or buy a new one that is EFI and have it installed. And how hard is it really to rebuild a 22r yourself? Thanks!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:58 PM

But at only 200k I think I'm going to try to hear it run first and if it's not sounding fun or leaking oil I think I will just leave it be considering that the 22r can do 400k pretty easy. And I could just rebuild then. Main question is about carburetor vs EFI is it worthwhile?
Old 06-04-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Ok. As far as a rebuild goes your spot on. See how she runs and then if you have more questions. Full tuneup, compression check, fuel filter (and relocate to fender). Then if you find bad consider rebuild.

As for EFI. Was the truck originally EFI? Do you still have the wiring harnes in the truck? ECU? If not or you are missing some or all of these items. It would be by far easier to swap to EFI if you have a complete do we truck next to you to get all the parts and the routing. Could be a truck with a cooked motor or what ever. Just want to make sure it has all the plugs and sensors.

Carb's aren't really all that hard and are very reliable. You just like other aspects of a truck need to maintain them. Do your tune ups. Change your fuel filter, ect. Hope this helps
Old 06-05-2016, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would switch to a Weber if your local restrictions will let you. If your truck is not originally EFI, it is way over your head to convert to EFI just by the questions you are asking. It is not an easy job, you have to swap fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump, computer, all wiring starting from the head lights to tail lights. I have done it a few times and know what is involved.

I like EFI but the thing is finding a truck with a complete and good system. The wiring in the EFI trucks is getting in brittle and bad condition and handling it just makes it worse. I have had to get harnesses out of two trucks to make one good harness. Most are butchered up that you will find in the salvage yard or any other truck for that matter.

85-87 use the same fuel injectors. Newer trucks use different injectors. I can identify trucks by looking under the hood. Each year the harnesses vary from each year. 87 has a square plug for the windshield wiper motor, 85/86 has the round plug that is the same for the starter relay of an 87, 85 has a round electric fuel pump connector,.. the list goes on. You need a complete donor truck, don't try and piece it together.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Alot of guys go with a weber if your going with a carbm but Im here to tell you a holley 350cfm runs way better than a weber and they are much easier to tune and work on. only my 2cents from experience.