84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 blown head HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 blown head HELP

Aloha all!! im pulling apart my 85 22r and am having a few difficulties gettin down to the head gasket which needs to be replaced..

...first off the idiot before me used one wrong bolt when he put the head back on and, low and behold thats the one bolt that snapped when i tried to take it out..IDIOT, i mean who does that really?..My thoughts are just to pull the head and heat the bolt with a torch and try to vicegrip it out or something but if anybody knows of something better let me know?

..Secondly, the head is completely unbolted (i think), i got the ten head bolts and the extremely well camouflaged head to timing cover bolt and it is still stuck as a muther, i tried prying on it and shocking it with a dead blow but still no luck.. any suggestions for breaking the seal on this badboy?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Heating the bolt will make the bolt expand more. You may want to heat the area around the bolt and not the bolt itself. Just a thought.

Just double check to make sure you have absolutely everything unbolted and then go from there. If you are certain then use a little more force.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 AM

Hey right on thanks for the advice... so heres the break down..

I quadruple checked and gaurenteeed got evry last bolt, then i finally sucked up my pride and got my cusin over here whos a professional mechanic, he's built these 22rs from the ground up and we could not get it to come off, turns out the bolt twisted when it snapped and is binding on the inside of the head.. we tried every trick he had and he told me bottom line it would be more worth my time to pull the motor and get a used one than to even try fixing this one but... imma drill that sucker and see if i cant get it to come out anyways!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 AM

Have you tried an easy out on that bolt to see if you can get it out? I have broken more head bolts off then I would like to recall, and now keep a stock of easy outs handy as a result of those adventures. If the guy used a bolt that was too big, it may not work, but may be worth a shot.

You may be able to use the bottle jack trick to get the head off as well.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM

K well we drilled the bolt out and got it to relieve enough pressure to unbind it and take off the head, now its just down to taking out the bolt itself.. we're planning on using a torch and trying to vice grip it out and if that doesnt work we'll try that easy out trick, i just think that its in there too good for that..
Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM

Sorry to see this thread stopped without resolution... wa happened???

My guess is the bolt comes out only by drilling it down the center, breaking it apart. Hopefully without damaging the threads of course...
Old 08-14-2010, 10:49 AM

Hmm, I wish i had tried that.. Instead we drilled it and tried an easy out, which snapped inside of it sooooo i said ˟˟˟˟˟ it and pulled the motor, at this point i think it would take a pro to get it out and rethread it.. thanks for all the help everybody!