84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 22r won't start when hot...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 22r won't start when hot...

Hi all, I'm new on the forum, so if my question is already answered somewhere please point me in the right direction!

I've got about 5k miles on a rebuilt '85 22r with the stock carb. The truck itself has about 166k on it. Until last week, it's been running perfect, tuning has been right on, MPG good, everything as it should be...
Now, it doesn't want to start when it's hot, idles low (500 RPM) and rough when hot, to the point of almost dying. I can get it to start when it's hot by holding the gas pedal down for a few seconds, then letting it up and starting it. That works most of the time...
Starts and idles great when it's cold. Runs fine on the road, but the gas mileage dropped badly (around 1/3 less miles per tank since this problem started). Timing is still right on, I've check all the vaccum lines for leaks and everything seems ok, there's plenty of fuel getting to the carb as far as I can tell watching the fuel window.

Any ideas on what I should look for next? kind of seems like a stuck choke, but I'd think that would affect driving performance...and they don't seem stuck. Should I just rebuild the carb or is this maybe something else? I'm stumped! I want to have a good idea what it needs before I tear into anything, because I drive it every day.

Thanks in advance!

Zach
Old 11-06-2009, 01:51 PM

I would check the carb and make sure it is clean and working properly. Pull a plug and look at it too. Then check the carb and clean it. And if you still have a catalitic converter, you might want to check it and make sure its not clogged.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 AM

UPDATE:

I decided to leave nothing to chance, and replaced all the vacuum lines yesterday. Now the truck will start when hot, but is harder to start when cold (LOL)!
Also, I found that the previous owner or mechanic had plugged the vacuum line from the top of the ASV to the VCV, so I replaced it with open line. When I took the truck for a drive, it would backfire every time I let off the gas pedal. Switched the plugged line back on, and no more backfires...
Anyone know what the backfiring indicates? I've been looking through the service manual, but I'm not finding anything that makes sense to me.

Toyotabull: I did clean the carb, although I had previously cleaned it about 5k ago when the engine was rebuilt, and the plugs all look fine also (those were also new at rebuild). It does have the cat still, not sure if that may be the root of some of these problems.

thanks

Zach

Last edited by zach223; 11-08-2009 at 10:02 AM.