84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22RE rebuild, it went boom

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE rebuild, it went boom

Well, for those of you who were helpin out thanks, but it didn't make it.

I had been having a quiet knock/slap noise coming from the engine on the truck I bought a few weeks back. In attempting to get the truck back over the pass to school where I had room and tools to work on it with, the engine disassembled itself for me. I can now stick my fist through the side of the block.

So I dollied it over here (school) where all my tools are and have begun the teardown process today. Haven't gotten the head off yet, but from the fragments i've pulled out of the hole and the shape of the spark plugs, the #2 piston exploded for unknown reasons. The engine was SUPPOSED to be rebuild with about 1000miles on it when i bought it, though I'm getting the feeling the PO was...well....i have no nice words to insert here .

So I'm looking for another 22RE to rebuild and swap in. I'm hoping I can reuse a fair amount of parts from this engine, since most parts are new. But I'm at least down 1 piston/rings/rod, waterpump from the looks of it, valves on that cylinder, probably the injector, and possibly the crankshaft, although I haven't popped off the oil pan yet, which needs to be welded back together.

My digital camera is broken, but I'll see if I can't start posting up the pictures soon and make a little rebuild thread for anyone whos interested.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 AM

where are you located?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you buy it from someone on the forums? If so, do tell.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 AM

Im in Ellensburg, Washington. Going to school out here at CWU. If you just so happen to be around with a 22RE....

And no, no one on the forums that I know of. Best part is, I didn't get the title yet from him because it was still in the mail (had a lost title). So I get to meet up with him again in a few days to give him the rest of the money for the truck and get the title from him......fun times there.

Thanks for the luck...im hoping its all going to go smooth Class from 10-5 every day is going to cut into the work time though
Old 09-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like you didn't get what you paid for. I would be bringing this up to him. How much have you paid him already? If its not much, you might consider giving him the truck back and cutting your losses.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 AM

How fast were you going when the truck went bust? Last time I drove mine over Snoqulmie Passs I think I made 50-55 up the steep part, even worse was over Steaven's Pass were 40 was top! Sorry to here about the problems, hopefully you can get your money back or get a break on the final price.
Kevin
Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does it look rebuilt (is there fresh looking RTV all over the place)? Either way, here's your argument:
  1. PO said it was rebuilt 1000mi ago
  2. An rebuilt engine should last a couple years
  3. thus the engine was rebuilt wrong, and wasn't as advertised

And you ask your money back. The difficulty would be in proving to him that the engine was not abused while it were in your possession.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Unfortunitly, I already paid the majority of the price for the truck, so cutting the losses wouldn't be overall worth it. Raw deal i know.

As for speed, i was maybe hitting 60mph. It also had a power loss issue, really lacking any power above 3500RPMS and couldn't even hit 70mph. I'm hoping these two problems were connected. But it blew just outside of North Bend, at exit 32. Not really much of a hill there....

As for the rebuild, yea, it looked rebuilt. All new gaskets, very clean cylinder walls, valvetrain looked pretty new, although there are burn marks on the cam (which was supposed to be new too). I think someone just screwed something up on the rebuild, but whether he knew that or not would be impossible to prove. We already signed something unfortunitly saying I would pay him the remaining $500 for the title when it came in, which was originally for my benifit...now its my downfall

But alas, not all bad news.

Today I pulled the head. I knew the #2 piston exploded, but I didn't know the condition or severity of everything else. So I got the head pulled today and to my extreme amazement, its virtually unscathed. A few nicks that I'll be able to take out while resurfacing the head, maybe throw in a little thicker head gasket to compensate, but no valve damage. I was very happy.

I still don't have a digital camera thats working, so cell pic is all I got.

It looks like all that may have died (aside from the block) is the #2 piston, connecting rod, and oil pan. I need to pull the crank to inspect it, but if I'm lucky it won't be overall too bad with just rebuilding the block...and obviously tearing down the head and putting it back together to make sure everything is tightened properly. I may just pick up a pulled engine and toss the new head on it, but that seems iffy since i wouldn't know the compression...

Last edited by Ares; 09-24-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Don't waste the time or money, just get a new short block assy
Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 PM

unfortunitly that being in college aspect and spending $1000+ on a new assembly don't coenside well. If I could find a new shortblock for under $500, then sure , but I don't really room in my budget for any part of this engine rebuild in the first place.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 AM

I wouldnt bother reusing anything from that rebuild, except possibly the cylinder head ( check the valves in cyl 2 for proper operation ) . I would send it to have it resurfaced and slap a better cam on it ( you mentioned the lobes being burnt ) . You mention that you do not have the coin for a new engine. Buy a used engine and learn a lesson for your next vehicle purchase. Did the truck have any driveability issues on your initial inspection before purchase? You can mention this to the PO, but it wont make much of a difference now if he has sold you the truck in AS IS condition.
I would suggest biting the bullit and paying the rest of the money to the seller to complete the contract and finding a decent used engine.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Banned

If it were mine...

Find out from PO who and when on the rebuild. Might still have some warranty.

Then honor your agreement, but you don't have to be nice about it.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:57 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
that just sucks...Did the guy even resurface the head? Top of that block looks like crap. previous owner Probably did the rebuild himself and did not even have a decent torque wrench...

hope you at least dropped the rear driveshaft when you dollied your truck back to school...Toyota Transfer case don't hold up well if towed a lot (no flow to TC bearings according to Marlin)

Good luck, I was a poor college student a couple of times and it kind of sucks..
Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 AM

I believe the rebuild was him unforuntily, which explains alot. But yes, I'm just going to pay him the remaining money and get the hell away from him

As for the head, he said it was resurfaced, but based off the scratches in it going ever which way it definitly was not machined. Luckely I can do that myself here at school. Based off the amount of loose bolts I've found outside the engine...that torque wrench comment...yea....

We did, or I should say my roommates did, drop the rear shaft for towing. They were coming back over the mountians and picked it up on their way by, luckely remembering to disconnect the shaft At least that went well

Today after I get back from class in 6 hours I'll strip out the head so I can take it in to the machine shop on campus tomorrow and knock off a couple thousandths. Here is a pic of the #2 cylinder chamber. Overall pretty good, a couple small nicks that should come almost completely out with resurfacing it tomorrow.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ares
I believe the rebuild was him unforuntily, which explains alot. But yes, I'm just going to pay him the remaining money and get the hell away from him
That's very noble of you, but I think he most likely knew the engine was a piece of junk. Call him on it and offer it back to him, but settle with not paying in full.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt16
That's very noble of you, but I think he most likely knew the engine was a piece of junk. Call him on it and offer it back to him, but settle with not paying in full.
X a bazillion

Old 09-25-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16

Yea, I could try. The noterized document we signed though gives him quite a bit of leverage in the situation though. And he's just a straight up jerk. I'm stuck between trying to barter a better deal and probably not getting it, and giving him the pleasure of knowing he got rid of it just in the nic of time...or telling him that after fixing a few retard errors from the rebuild its running great and whoever rebuilt it was obviously stupid.... decisions decisions.

Off to go buy an engine hoist and stand
Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 AM

Alright, took care of the title issue with the PO yesterday, also picked up another 22RE. Took the head off and the block is in amazingly good condition. Unfortunitly, it didn't come with a oil pump or pan. I can weld up and flattin out my pan, but my oil pump is toast. It didn't take too kindly to the rod cutting into it.

Pulled my engine/trans/tcase on Saturday night too. Went relativly smooth, took it all out as one unit. Then proceeded to cut some rust out of the engine bay where it looks like a battary once exploded and cleaned up some wiring.

Side note, when i was taking off the trans shift tower, i noticed something...

the sludge in between the shifter and gasket...isn't that supposed to be a seat? The whole seat and bushing thing? Obviously, the bushing too needs replacement, as its only half there
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transmission/1a.htm

ahhh nevermind, took the shifter further appart and found the seat. Looks like it was replaced.

Last edited by Ares; 09-29-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 AM

Been quite a while since any update. I've been pretty swamped with schoolwork this quarter, and celibrating my birthday last weekend kinda brought down how functional I was to work on it. But I have got the new engine in since then.

I went through and stripped the engine i picked up down. Reused the rebuild head, since it was freshly ground and the ground valves, new springs and caps. I ended up taking out the newer cam and rockers, since the new cam was alread scrached and gooved to hell with oil burns on it. The rockers wear wasn't much better. I'm not too sure what caused this, but I figured since the cam and rockers that came with the replacement engine were in great shape I'd use those.

Once I got to the point of sticking on the throttle body, my roommate pointed out the one from the truck was completely clogged up. Every vacuum port with the exception of the one for the fuel regulator was completely clogged. We're talking there was so much crap built up, not only could you not blow air through, but you couldn't get a screwdriver through the crap. We swapped that out for the body off the replacement engine, which was much cleaner, and simply swaped over the TPS senser. Also, the EGR valve vacuum tube port was completely clogged with carbon, which we fixed. Once on, it got all new vacuum lines all the way around.

I did find I should have labeled the electrical connectors. there were more going on then I remembered taking off...so I hope they are all in the right spot. I have no class friday, so tomorrow I'll be getting to work on the clutch and getting the trans/tcase back in. Still waiting for parts: oil pump pickup, center support bearing (driveshaft, noticied it was toast), and I need to fix the oil pan.

On a side note, I found an emissions sensor (i think) on the replacement throttle body that was not present on the engine in the truck. The trucks TB was plugged where this unit connected to. It was a little spring guy that then conencted to a little dome with 3 or 4 vacuum hoses coming off it. The replacement engine is off a '84, mines an '85. The book didn't say anything, but I though I'd check. I'll get a picture to make it a little more clear.

You have no idea how happy I am we moved this year into a house with an attached heated garage....its already getting into the mid 30s over here, and the detached non-heated garage at our old place would be very harsh right now.

Last edited by Ares; 10-09-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man... I can't wait til I get to do my EFI swap this spring (I have everything BUT the fuel pump, air intake setup, and knock sensor). Your engine is hotter than Megan Fox bending over to pick up an ink pen.

Yea, I've been criticized about my priorities before

Quick Reply: 22RE rebuild, it went boom