84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22r losing Oil & Coolant but no smoke ... head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
22r losing Oil & Coolant but no smoke ... head gasket?

Well I think I know why i got a pretty good deal on my new (to me) truck last month. It's an '85 w/ 22R, 167k mi.

I have found that it's consuming oil, I put about 1/2 quart in every 400-500 miles. Is that much for a 167k mi 22r? I replaced the valve cover & half moon gaskets since there was some oil leaking up there. There was never any drips under the truck though. I'm Still losing as much oil as before.

The coolant level has been going down slightly, not quite as much as the oil though... maybe half a gallon or less in the last 1000 miles. I checked the coolant and there is NO oil in the coolant.

The truck doesn't burn oil that I can smell or have bluish smoke.
It does not smell like it's burning coolant either or have white smoke (other than cold startup from choke - even that doesn't smell like coolant)

There is a little bit of off-white gunk on the inside of the oil cap which I'm pretty sure is what's left of my missing coolant. I pulled the valve cover off and everything looked fine under there... it was only in the oil cap.

The truck never overheats and the radiator looks like it's the original with half of the fins missing. but it's also winter so maybe that could help prevent the truck from getting too hot?

The engine is running good and truck gets 15-20 mpg.

So now I'm thinking head gasket... maybe just a little leak - not full blown?

This is my first Yota, I came over from Honda land. I wanted to see what you all thought about these symptoms before I ordered a head gasket (victor or OEM only from what I've read on here)
thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
"There is a little bit of off-white gunk on the inside of the oil cap which I'm pretty sure is what's left of my missing coolant. I pulled the valve cover off and everything looked fine under there... it was only in the oil cap."

Normal as long as there is no milkyness in the oil when drained. Particularly when first drained.

Check your floor boards on the passenger side. Loosing coolant through a bad heater core is a possibility. Which would make the carpet wet on that side. The smaller the leak the further up the firewall carpet the moisture will be.

1/2 quart every 500 miles is a lot. IMO. Check the top of your skid plate in the front if you have one for oil residue.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Normal as long as there is no milkyness in the oil when drained. Particularly when first drained.
Well I'm glad to hear that!
Truck has the rubber floor, no carpet so I'd see if that was wet... unless it could be leaking and running down behind it- not sure how far up the firewall that mat goes. Will look into that.

Will check the top of that skid plate. I did see a tiny bit of oil around the oil pan gasket, but not enough running down to make a drip.