84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1985 22re Open Loop

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 22re Open Loop

Hey guys and gals,
I just posted this in Marlin Crawlers Forum also. I have been around these forums for years using the search function and have learned a lot from everyone but I am now stuck and could use some help.

I have a 1985 SR5 4runner 22re 5 speed that I have been at war with trying to get a smog cert.
The truck runs great, has no performance issues, and sounds great.

Engine specs:
Pretty much stock 22re
LCE Header
LCE intake with K&N filter

I first did the basics:
Timing to factory spec (also tried timng retarded 3 degrees)
New cap and rotor
New plugs/ plug wires
Adjusted valves to factory spec
Ran 91 oct with RXP gas kicker
I cleaned out the EGR and tested it bc I failed off NO the first time.
EGR works correctly
I put on a new magnaflow universal catalytic converter

O2 Sensors stuff I have tried:
-Universal bosch 1 wire
-Bosch heated 4 wire
-Denso factory replacement 1 wire

-I put the header on 2 years ago after smog last time (it passed). I cracked my stock exhaust manifold and needed a new one. The header came with a special deal on the intake at the time so i got it. The LCE header moves the o2 sensor down stream about 3 feet so i went ahead and welded in a new bung approx 10" from the head on cylinder 3 header tube. Ever since I put that header on I get the common check engine light while cruising at approx 2500-3000rpm. Code 5 (o2 sensor).

-When i test the o2 sensor (doesnt matter which brand or position it is in) I get roughly -.30 DCV with it plugged in. When I unplug the o2 sensor and test the o2 sensor end of the plug I get around .6 to .8 DCV which sounds to be good. With it unplugged when i test the end that is going to the ECU I get roughly -.30 DCV. I believe it is in open loop and the ECU is blocking the input from the o2 sensor.

I then tested and replaced the ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor. The old one tested correctly but looked extreamly old so I replaced it anyway bc i thought that this was the main reaseon the truck is in Open Loop (if that is what its in.?.?)
The ECT now works correctly.
I also put in a hotter thermostat 192 degree bc i thought the engine wasnt getting hot enough.

These changes made no difference with my o2 sensor readings.

I then swapped in my friends ECU from his 4runner and everything worked the same as my ECU. No change in readings.

Smog test with best results so far:
15mph @ 1646rpm
CO2 11.5
O2 3.9
HC 168 (fail)
CO .80 (close to fail)
NO 930 (close to fail)

25mph @ 2580rpm
CO2 14.4
O2 .9
HC 95 (close to fail)
CO .49
NO 855

I am now going to try to get the truck to pass in Open Loop and it is apparently running lean. Everything that I have heard is that they should run rich in open loop. My plugs are new but they still look good. I have adjusted the wheel in the AFM that changes the air fuel ratio. I moved the wheel counter clockwise three teeth in an attempt to lighten the spring tension that closes the door. Hopefully this will make it a little more rich even though it is in open loop.

My question is

Is there a way to tell if the truck is in Open loop? Does anyone know what the o2 sensor should read in open loop?
Is there a way to make the truck go into closed loop manually?
Is there anything that I have missed or need to check?

Thank you for any feedback. Glad to be finally posting something to these boards. Sorry for the long post with probably a ton of spelling errors haha.