84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1984 Toyota 22r overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 Toyota 22r overheating

I have a 1984 22r long bed truck 4x4. A few months back I installed a Weber 32/36 and it has been running alright. Recently i have noticed that the engine bay has been getting very hot, and while driving daily I started to notice my temp gauge wanted to stay towards the upper half of the gauge. I could not pinpoint the problem so I started to replace anything having to do with the cooling system and from what i could take from forums on this site. I have done the following things and still cannot get the thing to run any cooler. I have replaced my thermostat, radiator fan clutch, water pump, radiator cap, flushed my radiator, new coolant, adjusted timing, and heat painted my stock header manifold. Now that i have replaced all of this, it never climbs above half way, but the engine bay is still so incredibly hot that i worry for the hoses, wires, etc.. It is almost hard to trust my temp gauge, because when i get out of the truck after driving and pop the hood, every single component is so hot that you can hardly put your hands in the bay. The truck only has 190,000 on it and i am desperately looking for help with this problem. I would really like to not mess up this engine. I bought the truck in California with the stock carburetor and drove it home to Texas. My lady and I use this truck as a travel vehicle and plan to take it on the road again in a few months. Any help would be so gratefully appreciated.

A mechanic friend of mine told me that it could very well be my Catalytic converter clogged up and heating up those headers. I am not sure if i should replace the cat or remove, or try and clean out? Also when i installed the weber i of course pulled off the insulator box above the headers along with the air intake that blew down on them to cool them. I was thinking that maybe without the cooling system, that just how hot it runs now with the exposed headers, but i have not seen anyone else with this problem after weber install. Again any help would be appreciated.

Thank you- Josh
Old 07-22-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The cat on my 84 is under the driver's seat so I doubt it would heat up the engine bay. When I put headers on a truck I usually wrap the primary pipes (not the collector).
Old 07-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 833 Likes on 558 Posts
Cars with clogged cats run awful. That is not your problem. If you have an aftermarket header, the engine compartment will be hotter for sure. You can wrap it. It will be much cooler then. But first i would go to Harbor Freight and get one of their hand held laser thermometers to put actual numbers on your perceived problem. That way you'll know what your temp gauge at halfway is really telling you.