Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Rust repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust repair

I've just encountered some pretty intense rust near the roof on the driver side, right along the A pillar/windshield area. the spot looks very tough to cut and patch, but there are holes through the metal. the largest hole is maybe 1/4in. diameter. besides cutting the rust out, what are my best options? I'm worried that the rust will still be active in spots that I can't see and get to, and will come back.
What I had planned to do was sand it the best I can, get some small craft paint brushes and try and get primer and paint under the edges of the holes. Then get some bondo and body filler and smooth it out, then finish it up with primer and paint. Is that the correct order? I'm going to try and do this tomorrow because of the nice weather and I have the day off. Does bondo have to be applied to bare metal, or is a little primer in spots ok? It does look pretty bad, but I'm really more interested in stopping the progression and then make it pretty later on.
Thanks

Old 11-14-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
dont even try to fix that .. you'll be sorry if you do !! My recommendation , is to find a new/used roof skin and weld that on ...

Old 11-14-2009, 04:10 PM

You can A) remove the sunroof, cut all ruseted areas out, patch it back in with metal, grind, filler, sand, prime, paint (which is how any pro would do it.) or
B) Sandblast the rust completely away, fiberglass from the inside, filler on the outside, sand, prime, paint. (which is effective but not as permanant as replacing it with good metal.)

Anything other than that will only result in it coming back.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Don't think you'll stop that permanently. As pointed-out above, new roof skin is probably the best option for long-term fix. In the meantime, you could hit it with rust inhibitor, fill it with expanding foam, and bondo / paint over that. I did that on my old Chevy (minus the bondo), and it lasted a surprisingly long time. It will look ghetto tho'. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Yodaforce
You can A) remove the sunroof, cut all ruseted areas out, patch it back in with metal, grind, filler, sand, prime, paint (which is how any pro would do it.)

well I consider myself a "pro" ... and if you have ever tried to repair a Toyota roof .. you would know this suggestion would be assinine !! not a chance !

Old 11-14-2009, 07:07 PM

i have cut and replaced metal in parts on the cab for instance around the window lips etc. only short of a new cab which would probably result in more work than replacing it. For your case i would get a new skin and go from there. You could cut and replace but you are in for some work probably just as much as a skin would be
Old 11-15-2009, 08:20 AM

well removing the windshield and fixing the rust around it is the next thing to do, but for right now I am going to get some spray rust converter, bondo, primer, and paint. Going to try and get up under the affected parts as good as I can. It just needs to last a year or so before I graduate and get a real job and then maybe I can throw some real time/money at it. I'm sure it will come back, but if I can slow it way down, then i'm ok with that. I'm just now sure of the best way to patch the holes. If I use bondo, won't moisture get to the back of it and destroy the work? Is there something better? I've never used expanding foam for car repair...is there a certain kind or brand I should look at?

thanks