Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Ready to buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Received the new Aisin Carb and have been working out the vacuum line replacement. Didn't label 3-4 of the lines when I pulled the engine and thought I'd be able to decipher from photo's. Guess my memory isn't as good as I figured, anybody make that mistake? I replaced all lines with 1/8" fuel line, little beefier than the old and a lot beefier than the vacuum line available at the auto parts store. I am finding that I wish to go a great deal further than I originally planned but I dream that it will be worth it. Although I must confess this, it cost more to replace the fuel preparation system than it cost to rebuild the engine.

Still waiting for these B/O parts

Also Got a phone number from a dealer in Atlanta to order an FSM. If it is legit and I actually receive my $80 FSM I'll post the number.

Last edited by Flek23; 12-07-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I would be very interested in an FSM, even for that much money... yeah let us know.

So you're replacing the egr and all that, huh? I'm thinking that's a good idea. I should at least clean mine. Got a weird problem that sometimes happens when I first start it up so I know something isn't quite right. Still getting really bad gas mileage, too, actually. I've been in 4wd all week and all in-town driving but I think I'm still getting just over 10mpg...that just isn't right.

You'll be very happy with that truck when it's all done. Some would say that for the money you're spending you should have tried for an EFI conversion, but that gets pretty complicated unless you've got a friend who's done it before. Aside from my gas mileage I'm liking my truck more & more all the time.

I had a LOT of stuff that took me awhile to figure out, becuase it seemed so simple when I took it apart, figured of course I'd know how it went back together. Luckily I could figure just about all of it out with the photos I took, and vacuum diagrams & stuff.

Last edited by 83; 12-08-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Still waiting on parts, I guess the holiday season slows things down. My Toyota dealership says they can't get me the Reed Valve (part # 17350-35020). Mine is totally trashed the "vacuum plunger" is seized. If anyone knows where I can get one that is functional please let me know.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Awesome resto!! Its looking very nice! I like how you're making you're own dash, do you have any finished pics of it?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

I finally received my FSM. It cost $86 shipped and I'm thrilled with what I got. It's very comprehensive and specific to my year. I called 1-800-622-2033 to order it. Definitely worth the investment! I'm still trying to solve my reed valve problem. I'm currently trying to see how feasible rebuilding this thing will be. I got the plunger moving smoothly again but in the process destroyed the rubber disk. the reeds are in good shape in fact the problem lies only in the rubber parts. For the disk I was thinking about looking for some sort of rubber washer and a steel washer welded to the post to mount a new rubber to seal the valve. We'll see if it will work as the part seems impossible to find and even harder to figure out if a used part offered is functional. MTC

Last edited by Flek23; 12-13-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 AM

Hey Flek, what part of georgia are you located in? Im in Columbus Ga myself. I'd love to find a buddy who loves the yota as much as I do and needs someone to wrench with.

That engine looks beautiful, How much did the rebuild run you?

I would go the weber 32/36 route instead of the Asian. The parts are so hard to find for them anymore and the webers are a lot easier to replace and repair when needed.

Last edited by scooper; 12-13-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

I'm in W/R. If you are ever in the neighborhood let me know and we can try to hang out. Hard to say how much is actually in the engine because I'm doing so many things to the truck. So far I've got about $5K into the project. That includes truck purchase, engine+intake, suspension, tools, heat for my shop, paint, paper towels, you name it. It's all coming out of one pot. I'm hoping to finish within a $8-10K range. That's a full restore; interior, paint, and mechanical. I thought about the weber for a long time but decided on the original setup. Parts are an issue but I'm not in that big of a hurry. Just hope to finish before my 91 quits. She needs an engine overhaul too but is hanging tough at the moment.

Last edited by Flek23; 12-13-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:38 PM

I have been to Warner Robbins alot, i'll shoot you a PM next time I head that way and maybe we can meet up, would be cool to meet a fellow toyota fan. I have to finish rebuilding mine first.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Merry Christmas everybody. I've been striping the truck down for paint. Should be out for paint next week. Still haven't found a reed valve but I'm still looking. Paint shop is going to pull the bed+cab off so I can take the frame back home to finish up the POR-15, suspension and maybe even the engine installation if that is possible.

Last edited by Flek23; 12-25-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Back to Work

Well, I'm back to work at the FD which is slowing progress but increasing funds for the project. I haven't done much over the holidays but I did find a guy in Colo. Sp. with a reed valve. $35 so we'll see if it's functional when it gets here. Today and yesterday I got back to stripping down for paint. The more I take off the more I worry about reassembly. Taking lots of pictures so hopefully it will all work out in time, but it is no less daunting. I wanted to get one of those YT calendars but when my wife saw "Mrs. February" (wife's b-day is Feb) it was a no go. Shame on "Mrs. February" for being such a hottie.

Last edited by Flek23; 01-06-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 AM

Wow. I'm hoping to take my truck down to that point someday before too long. Don't worry about putting it all back together. I mean you will worry, there's no way around it, but after screwing a few things up a couple times you'll get it right. And there's always going to be someone around here who's done it before that will help you.

Hey what exactly does the reed valve do? I've realized lately that whatever I haven't yet replaced on my truck, I will need to before long.. I decided not to when I saw the price of it, even though mine has a corroded metal hose on it. I've had my egr out a couple times too trying to get it clean, but it looks like the vacuum modulator at least will need to be replaced. All that stuff is pricey!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I think I spent like $400 on VSV, BVSV, Vac Modulator, Therm switches and Reed Valve. Tried to buy a new Reed Valve but it seems to be out of production or just sold out. From what I can surmise the reed valve feeds fresh cold air into the exhaust to give the oxygen sensor a baseline constant. Some say it just dilutes the exhaust for emission testing but I just don't buy that. I'm going stock so I'm not cutting anything out. My objective is quality daily driver and not crawling or serious off road so I want it the way it came new. The setup that gave Toyota the reputation for going and going and going.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 AM

Ok. I don't think we have 02 sensors, but either way it seems like something I don't need to replace right away. Although some of that stuff is weird in that if it wasn't even there the truck would run fine, but if it's there and not functioning properly, it will really hurt performace. I'm into keeping my truck the way it was made, too, but man some of that stuff's expensive. I'd love to replace the egr & modulator right now, but that's about a $300+ combo! I'll be doing a carb rebuild before that, but I will likely replace the vacuum modulator pretty soon if I can't figure out how to clean it.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 AM

try 22re.com, they have most all of that stuff. cool project
Old 01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Be cautious with the vac modulator. I had to replace mine because I broke it trying to get that little filter out of it (cold weather+plastic parts=broken plastic).
Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 AM

Yeah, I've been pulling it off & on a lot over the past couple weeks...I broke the cap a little, but not bad. It is hard getting that thing off the first time.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Ty

nice project!
I like the motor, it looks familiar...

Thats my motor btw hah
Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM

If you get the truck back together soon you'll need to let me know how you like the carb. I obviously get most of my advice here, but I recently met a guy in town who builds serious Toyotas and seems to be up there with some of the more experienced people here & on places like Pirate as far as the builds he's done, and he just mentioned to me today that if my carb is going out I should get a Weber. He says he's never seen an Aisin carb work right after taking it apart, and that people have claimed they can get it right but he's never seen it. Anyways...just the latest I'm hearing. I'd be really interested to see if yours is good, although I'm guessing that I'll have already done one thing or the other about my carb before you've got your truck all put back together & all bugs worked out enough to be able to say how you feel about the carb.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 AM

On a side not, what's that Lager you're holding? Looks like a beer my friend from Pennsylvania always talks about. Does it come in a dark? Or porter or something? I grew up in NY and I never it saw it there...pronounced yinling or something?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah it's Yuengling. We haven't been able to get it in GA so when I go down to FL to see my folks I usually pick some up. Supposedly Budweiser picked them up and will be distributing in GA this year. I can't wait, I want to get a keg of it for the shop kegerator.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy