Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Ready to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:55 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
That's very cool! It will especially come in handy since she's a girl.
Felpro aught to be fine. I bought some hoses from autozone when I replaced all my hoses, and a few from Toyota, and even one from Carquest, and the autozone hoses were by far the worst quality of the three, so I just don't trust getting much from them these days.

Nice veneer. I may do something like that someday.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part Resources

It's bewildering to me when I hear people talk about getting parts from Toyota. I've been down to my local dealership several times and they give me the cold shoulder. They say they have zero parts available for an 83. I need front and rear window seals to put in after the paint work and upholstery are done and I've had trouble hunting them down. Seems like some geographic locations have no problems getting part's from Toyota. WTF?

Last edited by Flek23; 11-19-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 AM

Not sure....I've never asked for a part that my dealership couldn't get me...haven't tried for window seals, although they're on my list. The guys at my dealership are great, they don't even make me pre-pay anymore and depending on who's behind the counter, I even get the parts discount.

So how do you like working on the engine? Funny thing my machine shop guy said to me. He said something like "I don't know about you, but I hate working on vehicles". I kind of looked at him weird, so he said "engines are fine, I love that, but not vehicles". Makes sense. You've got a nice clean engine with a bunch of brand new parts, set on an engine stand. So have fun because soon you're going to be bent over in all kinds of uncomfortable positions getting really dirty and banging your knuckles on things!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Cherry Veneer Dash Trim

Made the templates for the cherry veneer dash trim while I am waiting for paint to cure.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 PM

man, that is SWEET, reading this engine rebuild and stuff, totally makes me wanna do this to mine( i have to anyways ) lol but mine might need more work, i need new cab mounts in the back, and patch the frame behind the cab ( dang canadian roads ) and new springs
Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

Winter, G'rage, Kerosene Heater, And An Engine; It's A Beautiful Thing

Got a few things done today. Still hoping for one more warm day to finish some painting (with as little wind as possible LOL). Planning to order an Holley reman Aisin and a Zoom Kevlar clutch in a few days. Oh, and I talked to the guys at Summit Racing today, they told me that a Toyota Dealership has to be set up to get parts direct from Japan for something like my 83. Not likely the case in this little town so maybe I'll try calling some of the dealerships in Atlanta to see if I have any better luck.

Last edited by Flek23; 11-18-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 AM

That's looking really nice.

I guess that would make sense with the dealership...that could be why mine is at least a 2 day wait for any part other than spark plugs/wires etc. Plus I don't know about where you are, but there are a lot of older Toyotas around here. Not many as old as mine, but lots of mid-late '80s.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Finished Painting Engine Parts

It was just warm enough this afternoon to finish painting brackets and pulley's. I considered having the majority of this stuff powder-coated but the expense seemed too great. I hope I don't regret it down the road. I'll be letting this stuff cure in the heated shop for a while before I finish assembly. Not sure how well it'll all hold up, I hope I'm not disappointed.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Dash Veneer

Well...I just spend about 5 hours cutting and sanding and test fitting this piece of cherry. This small piece is almost there but I'm done for the night. This is going to take a LOT of time. I hope it looks as good when it's done as I imagined it would. Once I get the fit I will finish it with a hot boiled linseed oil and beeswax mixture to warm up the look of the cherry.

Last edited by Flek23; 11-20-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:33 AM

That looks really nice. Good work.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Waiting For Carb & Clutch

Got er all back together except for the intake and clutch. While I'm waiting I'll just be sanding on the veneer to get it to fit right.

Last edited by Flek23; 11-21-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:19 AM

Damn that engine looks good. Nice dog too! Border Collie or Australian Shepherd? I've got a cross between the two. Really really good dog, but a big commitment!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good too bad you couldn't score a 22re intake and wiring harness and ecu convert it over to fuel injection.
BTW your 22r looks like it has the bolt pattern for a fuel injection manifold so it would be pretty much bolt on. You just have to find a block off plate for your fuel pump.

Lol small world I was stationed in S. Korea 1991-1994 was at Camp Humphies with 377th Medivac used to goto OSAN AB all the time.

Last edited by 934rnr; 11-21-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I spent some time over there training with their fire department. We also spent 2 months at Suwon during the 2% runway replacement at Osan. Had to move 3/4 of our fire apparatus there to cover all of our F-16's and A-10's. I loved Korea could have stayed there my whole career if my family could have been with me.

Firefly (Fly for short) is an Aussie and she's my shop buddie, except when the engine was open because she is blowing coat at the moment. Would have driven me nut's trying to keep hair out of the block.

Last edited by Flek23; 11-22-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 AM

I agree Korea was aweomse. SPent 1 1/2 years down in Camp Carroll (waegwan). Went to Kunsan and Osan a few times for some of the penensula wide exersizes. Kunsan was my favorite, we got to set up right between the runway and the beach. Getting to be literally 100 ft from the runway and seeing f-117's take off and land all day and night was awesome. but it was COOOOLD. I get to go back next october, can't wait.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Waiting

I got an OME (light duty) suspension setup ordered as well as the carb, clutch and a POR-15 system setup. Won't be doing much till some of it gets here. Except trying to get the remnants of the timing cover bolt I snapped off out of it's hole. Heading down to have Thanksgiving with my folks. Due to having been a military firefighter I haven't been off for an actual holiday for at least a decade so it ought to be interesting. Hope everyone has a pleasant holiday.

Last edited by Flek23; 11-25-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:46 AM

This thread is getting old & dusty.
How's it coming along? Get your suspension and everything? After I finally got my truck running again, it's been running pretty strong. I replaced the ignition coil, ignitor and distributer, and I feel like I might actually finally be getting decent gas mileage, but I haven't put on enough miles yet (and now we've finally got snow so I've been driving around in 4wd) to really tell. Wonder if, even without a timing light, I got the timing set a bit better? Or if all those new parts could actually = better gas mileage? Or if my rings just finally seated or something. Anyway, I think I've finally got the major bugs worked out in time to not have to be doing much walking in cold snowy weather. It was sure nice when I still had my Subaru and the truck could sit for a while without stranding me.

I'm really interested to see how that veneer turns out. I kind of did a hack job on my radio & heater control area, so I may look into that stuff once I figure out exactly what I want to do with that area. 8T3 on this site especially has me thinking big...

Let me know when that thing gets fired back up! It was really scary for me. I had been waiting to drive it for months but when it was finally time and there was nothing left to do I almost didn't want to and I was looking for other things to work on on the truck. It took a few seconds of cranking but it fired up. Then you've just got the frantic/excited search for leaks etc. so you don't destroy your new engine in it's first minutes of life. If you didn't check out the motoman link Bill gave me, be sure to do that. I didn't really break mine in that way, but I wasn't exactly really easy on it, either. I got a lot of conflicting info on how to break in an engine.

Last edited by 83; 12-03-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

I'm working on the intake portion and working on getting the truck out for paint. I was planning to use POR-15 on the frame but have been advised that it would be better to have a shop take it down to bare metal so I'm pricing that out. I want to take care of the frame before I put the engine in and the OME suspension. So I'll be fiddling with vacuum line labeling and whatnot while it gets painted if all goes as planned. then once it's running I'll take it up to Atlanta for the interior.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

Intake Portion

I sat out here in the shop tonight and labled all vacuum lines and disassembled the intake. Haven't got the new carb yet but it looks like I will be cleaning stuff for a while anyway. Wow, seams like every possible spot on the intake has been leaking. It's really amazing that these old 22r's keep going like they do. When I bought this truck I thought it ran pretty strong. I'm giddy thinking about how it will run when everything is sealed up and clean like it ought to be. Hope to be taking the truck out for paint soon.

Last edited by Flek23; 12-03-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 AM

Wow. Were you planning on doing this stuff when you first bought it? Seems like you've gone from deciding to rebuild the engine to deciding to restore the truck! Which is awesome, btw.

I wonder how tight my intake is. I think it's alright, but a complete disassembly & cleaning would be a good idea. Pretty sure I've got all the gaskets for it in the rebuild kit.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy