Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Ready to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flek23's 83 Rebuild

Ok, here's where I'm at. I got an 83 with a carberated 22r. I blew the head gasket on I-75 a while back. I was crusin' along at about 70 and she started bogging down on me. I downshifted to 4th and was okay for a sec and then bogged out again. I looked down and the temp was pegged. I rolled of to the shoulder and spent the night there until my buddy could get there with a trailer (thanks a billion Trent). so I spent some time talking around and what I've come up with is that the lower old soft hose collapsed and cut itself off causing the cooling system to cavitate while the radiator built up enough pressure to pop the top off and blow that hose.

Since, the engine will roll over but there is no resistance and she won't start or fire so zero compression would appear to be the situation. I've already purchased a new radiator and am about to make a purchase from LC. I talked to the guys at engnblder about the dual row conversion for my 83 and they indicated there was an issue with the oil pump and that I would not be able to put the metal rails for a timing chain replacement. LC says they have a drive spline for the oil pump and metal rails to boot.

So since I'm taking the head off for a new gasket I figure its a good time for a timing chain as well. I plan to replace the water and oil pump while I'm at it and maybe new rings but the old girl only has 89,000 original miles on her so we'll see what the cylinder walls look like. I'm throwing this out there because I'm a bit of a novice and I want my old "roller-skate" to get the best I can give her. So here's my shopping list...by all means tear into me if anyone thinks I'm erronious in my selection or diagnosis.
-High torque starter
-Head bolt set
-Dual row timing chain set
-Oil pump drive spline
-Pro oil pump
-Street water pump
-Head gasket set

All from LC engineering

Last edited by Flek23; 11-11-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 PM

I was in your shoes a few years ago, and I cooked the motor.

If you overheated it bad, the head might be warped (happened to me). So you might want to figure a new (or milled) head into that mix.

Also, you don't need a high-torque starter, unless you go high-compression. The 22R's stock gear-reduction starter does just fine.

What I'd do: head bolts, head gasket, timing chain, water pump, oil pump, front main seal, rear main seal, and maybe head, if necessary.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Toyota has two diferent starters for the 22RE, there is a 1.0 KW and a 1.4 KW, i just had to replace the starter on my 86 4Runner and a bought a rebuilt 1.4 KW starter from auto parts warehouse, this was a quality rebuilt denso starter, not some kragen piece of junk, so if you need a new starter i would recomend auto parts warehouse.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

The starter

The starter is actually for my 91 but I had to canibalize from the 83 for now because I have a major problem with the 91. I have replace the starter in the 91 six times and rebuilt it several more. I have replaced the battery cables, the battery, and cleaned the Neutral start switch. Anyway the 83's starter has been working for a few days and unless I start having problems again I will probably put it back in the 83 when the LC starter arrives. The issue with the 91 seems to be related to Temperature (Hot Georgia Sun) and LC's really expensive High Torque Started touts correction to this kind of problem. That's my logic anyway and the starters are interchangeable between the 83 and 91. I need the 91 as a daily driver while I do this restore project so this probably wont be the first and only bandaid fix. I hope I don't sound argumentative, my intention is only to convey the logic in my mind to give folks an opportunity to set me straight.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Make sure your block surface is completely flat once you've got the head off, too. Otherwise you'll never get a good seal there. 89,000 is good low mileage, so hopefully you're alright there. But blowing a head gasket does some bad stuff if you overheat enough.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I read your correspondance with Bill

Zach,
I sat and read through your rebuild corespondance the other night. I have been back and forth with whether or not to go ahead and do a complete rebuild or just the gaskets and timing. I picked something up from reading your process. That is that it will make itself clear as I go along and the illusion that I can go out and buy all the parts at once and be good to go is at best naive. This process is more like an unveiling and I won't know till I get there. It sure was cool the way Bill stuck with you through the tough parts and gave you insight as you needed it.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

beginning engine removal process today

Today I got out the chiltons and the haynes manuals and started disconnecting hoses, wiring, A/C compressor, PS pump, air cleaner, belts, fan and throttle linkage. Going to try to pull the engine this week. Any thoughts on taking out the engine with or without the tranny? Is one less likely to result in damage? is there a significant difficulty difference? working on figuring out how to uploading images to postings.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:06 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Engine removal: I would recommend take it out with the trans attached. Just be sure to use a jack inconjunction with your Engine hoist to slowly lower the transmission when you raise the engine. Than lift out the whole assembly. Others may chime in too.

before you start pulling all the little stuff off, be sure to take pictures and label wires, hoses etc...helps on reassembly instead of wondering 'where the heck does this thing go'

Upload your pictures to a free service like http://photobucket.com/ and than copy and paste the [IMG] code that you will find next to the picture. I use it on several different forums and probably have over a 1000 pictures on it...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

This restore

I would like to post the progress on my 83 as I'm going along. For the time being I'm posting progress in the YT Photo Gallery. I bought the engine stand today and now I'm waiting for my neighbor to get home so I can borrow his Hoist. I'll try to have my wife take some pics for others to benefit from my learning curve on the removal.

Last edited by Flek23; 11-09-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 AM

I know what you did last summer

Yes, Bill was great. He wouldn't really let me take a shortcut and end up doing a bunch of work that I would have to do over again because I didn't do everything. If I had just done the timing chain and put it back together I wouldn't be too happy right now.

Good luck! Keep us posted with photos. I've always been told it's pretty crazy trying to get the engine & tranny out together, plus it's a LOT of weight on the chain, so if you do it make sure you've really got things secured. Don't just use the hooks on the head. You've also then got to get the two apart, and now neither is attached to anything so you'll have to find a way to secure one so you can pull the other off while on the floor. Seems like a hassle but I'm sure somebody who's done it will have good ideas for that. I just pulled the engine, then put a jack that was like a tranny jack under the transmission and lowered it down while some people held it steady. I guess a lot depends on what equipment you have and how many people are willing to help.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Much progress today

Today the engine came out. I decided to pull just the engine and leave the tranny in for now. I placed a 2x4 across the leaf springs to hold up the trans. It was easy to jack right under that so it was already in place once the engine was seperated. After making preperations this week it only took about 20 minutes to pull, remove clutch and flywheel, and mount on engine stand. However it took me four hours driving around town to find bolt's long enough to safely hold the engine on the stand. For some reason I assumed that the bolts from the bell-housing would work. Shame on me for not checking. Head surprisingly "seems" unwarped but shows signs that there was indeed leaking through the gasket. Plastic timing guides were found mostly in the oil pan and timing cover has 16th of an inch groves so maybe new cover. I would venture to say I will need to hone the cylinder walls if not have them rebored. So it will be off to the machine shop tomorrow. This was a great deal easier than I imagined so maybe reassembly will get me cussing. I took a gazillion pictures, some of which are in the YT Member Photo Gallery. Feels good to be moving on this and can't wait to hear that "new" engine purr.

Last edited by Flek23; 11-11-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Machine Shop

Got a guy in town that has a couple 22's in his own driveway and has been doing them for a while. Says $1300 will do everything reassembled if I brought him the short block. $460 if he does all the Machineing and I disassemble and reassemble. Cleaning everything, decking and honeing the block, rework the head to include pressure testing, and polishing the crank as long as it doesn't need to be ground. His kit is $360 w/ timing cover and engnbldr's is $280 shipped but no timing cover and the machinist want's to wait till it arrives to finalize the cylinder bore. I'm finishing disassembly this weekend and taking it to him Tuesday. Much joy!

Last edited by Flek23; 11-11-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:27 AM

Nice! Good luck. If you go with his kit, find out what he uses for gaskets, etc. I'm sure you read that part of my saga, too. You DON'T want to go through all that and use sub-par parts in your new engine, if you want it to last like a Toyota should. Engnbldr uses only parts that pass his test and he's got pretty high standards.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Question Cleaning solvent/solution?

Got the engine back today. Wondering what a good solvent for keeping everything clean might be. don't want to use something that might etch a machined surface. Any suggestions. I'm not satisfied with the cleanliness of everything coming back from the machine shop and I'm also painting the block before I put everything back together so I'm in cleaning mode for now.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Question Thrust washers

I'm beginning reassembly and have hit a glitch. Before i go back to the machine shop and make myself look stupid I wanted to bounce it off you all. The thrust washers seem to be way to thick like twice as thick. Is it common to have to go back and forth on thrust washer size or is this an odd thing, did they screw up, or am I just stupid. The Hanes manual indicates they should just slide/rotate in after the crank is seated.

Last edited by Flek23; 11-11-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:46 AM

Hmm....did the crank get machined at all? Although I'm not sure that would matter..Where did the rebuild kit come from? If they don't seem like they fit...yeah, might be a screw up.
Oh and I don't have advice for cleaning the block. Mine came back looking like new. I would say brake cleaner since that's what most people use to clean up greasy parts but I'm not completely sure.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Smile Solved

Got the right thrust washers. The kit had the washers for typical 22r and I guess 83's are unique. So I'm back to work.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Smile Good day in the shop

Got the crank in and torqued. Also got the pistons in today. Maybe rear main seal and timing tomorrow. Bought one of those nifty 12mm/14mm offset box end wrenches too, like it was made for my truck, very cool. I'm using Synergyn Assembly Lube. Not sure yet if I'll use the old timing cover, gonna try using carb cleaner on it and the head probably tomorrow as well.

Last edited by Flek23; 11-11-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics Flek23? I wanna see what you're doin. Post a url between
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 AM

I agree. It's nice to see some progress in your avatar, but post up some progress pics!

If nothing else, a lot of people who have never seen (and maybe don't care to see) the inner workings of an engine will get a better understanding of how it all works. I hardly took any photos after my teardown because I was too busy worrying about getting it back together & on the road. Kind of wish I had taken more.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy