Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Picked up 22R last night Pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up 22R last night Pics!!

Well I picked up a 22R motor last night and today I cleaned it as I as I could. Here is a few pics of before and after. Take a look at the last few pics of the valve cover off. Not sure if you can see or not but there is like NO build up. Makes me wonder if this motor isnt rebuilt or just was well taken care of. Down side to this engine is the timing chain is done so I have replace it. Gonna be easier with it sitting on a stand but still wasnt wanting to worry bout it. Either or I think I am set since this motor was a freebie !!!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatcha going to do with it?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by neoworm0
Whatcha going to do with it?
Its going into my 82 yota since that motor needs to be rebuilt bad.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well looks like a good candidate.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Great job cleaning it up, and a freebie to boot

Lucky!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Here are a few pics from todays work. Decided to wait to pull old motor and paint this one. A few bucks for paint and well lets hope it runs good. Gotta love ADD!! lol

Old 03-22-2009, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats quite the color
Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford blue? I like it will make finding leaks easy noe you just got to find a nice color the will match for the head and valve cover.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 PM

Gonna paint the valve cover the same color and oil pan is gonna be painted black. Head is gonna be cleaned up pretty well so I dont want to paint it. Its gonna look like its polished at least for a little while.
What can I say I like fords and yotas plus the blue goes with my paint for the most part.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:22 PM

Forgot I took this pic with my phone. Its a little blurry but you can kinda see how overboard I got with the water pump and timing cover let alone every single other part I took off the donor motor. Shes gonna look brand new soon if I dont get it in my truck.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Nice work cleaning it up!
You should just go ahead and do a build thread, so you can keep all this stuff in one thread rather than having a bunch.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 83
Nice work cleaning it up!
You should just go ahead and do a build thread, so you can keep all this stuff in one thread rather than having a bunch.
Ya I should lol
Actually I am gonna make this the build thread. mind as well since most of the pics are here.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM

Ok so I managed to remove the old motor today and clean up a few things as well as get a few more things mounted on new motor. Was rather suprised that I didnt notice the welding to front axle before. Seems a few mods where done. Take a look at pics and tell if u can spot them.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:23 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Going with the dual row timing chain? Nice. I kind of wish I had. I'm not sure anything's been done to that axle...
Unless I'm missing something, I thought the same thing when I started working closer to mine, but 83 had stock gusseting. '84 & '85 got even more gusseting. The only ones without it are maybe 79-80 or 81. But maybe I'm not seeing what you're talking about?

Nice work! Especially by yourself. I hope you're planning on reusing that water pump, it looks pretty good to me!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:14 AM

Oh ya that water pump is like new. Even comes with pre glycol build up. Thats stuffs the best !!!! LOL Ya when I took that pump off my old motor I was rather shocked. Im starting to think it was the original pump from 82.
As for the axle. Ill have to circle whats been welded. Pretty bad welds to boot.
Since I am driving a company truck I am able to spend some more time on things most wouldnt bother. Me I guess I just want it to look cherry when I am done. I have an engine stand being dropped off this morning at the yard and I am gonna put new motor on it so I can rotate it to get to the oil pan. Thing I am gonna paint that some odd color 2.
This is really gonna suck when I try to put this engine in without someone to help me. I have a nice big list of parts to get today. Blah

EDIT: Oh and that timing chain is from my old motor. I compared the 2 blocks and even test installed it on the 84 motor to see and its a perfect fit. So I am rather happy to be able to get rid of the stock single row. Gotta love 84 and below yrs.

Last edited by crazykooter; 03-24-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:58 PM

Ok today I got pulled away to do other stuff so I didnt get much done. I did however pull the oil pan and heres a pic of the lower end. Not sure by looks if you can tell what condition its in but to me it looks aweful clean for a 22R thats 26 years old. I guess we wont know for sure till I fire it up and compression test it.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM

looks nice...sure hope it runs well for you. free motors are great. i got my hands on one a few years back for an '83 i had...ran like a top!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by idayota
looks nice...sure hope it runs well for you. free motors are great. i got my hands on one a few years back for an '83 i had...ran like a top!
Ya freebies are always kick butt. I found a 20R brand new on craigslist for 300 bucks. When I say brand new I mean brand new. In a create and still wrapped in plastic. Too bad those motors dont have the power.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM

I agree with lucking out on that timing chain. I got lucky as well when I purchased my 22r to replace a blown 20r in my 80 yota. I was so happy to find a used engine that ran, i didn't even bother to check it. Later down the road, I slung a rod in the 500$ 22r i got and ended up buildng my hybrid with the original 20r head and the 22r block. I was happy to see that double chain sitting under the valve cover when i started ripping the 22r apart. Everything fit up perfectly and went togather like peanut butter and jelly.

Dont let em bother you about it being ford blue, I painted mine ford red and did the valve cover grey and an more than happy with the way it turned out. I was a ford many for many many years prior to getting my yota. Now I dont want or dream of any other car, and only want to make my yota stronger, bigger, and better.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks scoop ! Ya I dont let that sort of stuff get me. Heck I am gonna paint he the valve cover today and its going to be FORD RED Not sure if I should do the oil pan red or black but I am sorta on the good ole USA red white and blue theme atm. Well see how it turns out with pan black. Besides rearing this motor apart I am amazed how clean it is. My original motor is an 82 and this is an 84 so I have no doubts in been rebuilt just can be sure when since I havent seen rings and crank. I need all the good luck I can get right now. Putting the final pieces together and will be ready to drop it in today but without someone to help me guide this thing in I wont bother. Did find out my transmission mount is trashed. Love taking apart old stuff !!

Quick Reply: Picked up 22R last night Pics!!