Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

My 81 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Dynabeads in both my Yota's tires, and I love them. I have an issue with one of the tires or wheel being out of round, but otherwise it's kept my tires balanced no matter what gets into my tread. I got em cause I was tired of losing wheel weights when I wheel it.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
I have Dynabeads in both my Yota's tires, and I love them. I have an issue with one of the tires or wheel being out of round, but otherwise it's kept my tires balanced no matter what gets into my tread. I got em cause I was tired of losing wheel weights when I wheel it.
Nice to hear some feedback on these. they seem like a really good deal

So im getting really tired of the rubbing and its only been a few days lol. So im gonna order the lift parts today or tomorrow.

This should let me accomplish the rear right?
-Ubolt flip
-chevy spring hanger
-shackle mounts
-chevy 63's with all the hardware

Front is direct bolt up correct? Just need a new driveline possibly.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 AM

They Charge so much do to the tires are over sized and heavy. Also balancing a SS takes a ton of weights and usually when wheeling get thrown off
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM

More questions!

i looked around but couldnt seem to find anything on brake lines. can you double up the rear brake lines? if not where can extended brake lines be found?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Marlin or Trail-Gear both have extended length DOT rated brake lines, others will too. All-Pro maybe. I got Marlin's cause I was already getting other stuff from them, so I can't say much about other's quality, but as long as they're DOT rated they should be good.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Marlin or Trail-Gear both have extended length DOT rated brake lines, others will too. All-Pro maybe. I got Marlin's cause I was already getting other stuff from them, so I can't say much about other's quality, but as long as they're DOT rated they should be good.
It just seems that everywhere i look its like 80 bucks for the lines. Marlins looked promising tho

From what ive been able to find tho it seems that you can link two factory brake lines together. and a buddy of mine has his stock ones still.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Yeah, in the rear you should be able to, now that I think of it, as it's got male/female ends instead of female/female like the front lines. I think you'll still need longer ones for the front, though. When I went looking for a new clutch line, I eliminated the hard line connected to the slave and went through the brake line book at Napa to find one long enough and with the right flare and threads. You should be able to get the book from them for a few minutes and find some that are long enough for less than Marlin's. If you live near Aloha, the guys at the Napa on Shaw definitely would, and I believe there's a couple Yota guys and maybe even a Yota gal still working there.

Just realized this is kind of an all Oregon thread, with the exception of me. I grew up in Aloha though!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Yeah, in the rear you should be able to, now that I think of it, as it's got male/female ends instead of female/female like the front lines. I think you'll still need longer ones for the front, though. When I went looking for a new clutch line, I eliminated the hard line connected to the slave and went through the brake line book at Napa to find one long enough and with the right flare and threads. You should be able to get the book from them for a few minutes and find some that are long enough for less than Marlin's. If you live near Aloha, the guys at the Napa on Shaw definitely would, and I believe there's a couple Yota guys and maybe even a Yota gal still working there.

Just realized this is kind of an all Oregon thread, with the exception of me. I grew up in Aloha though!
Good to know. Thanks man.

I was just sitting here thinking about this tho and came up with this conclusion/idea.
All the threads and thread lengths are the same for both front and rear. So for the rear i could just buy a replacement brake line from autzone and couple my stock one with the replacement. For the front since the front is female/female, i could just buy another two rear brake lines since they are male/female. the male end of the rear brake line would go into the end of the female stock front brake line and leave me with the female end going to the caliper. Doesnt this all sound correct?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 PM

nice build Ill be watching this one
Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Just make absolutely sure there's no leaks. I like to have as few connections as necessary so there's fewer things to go wrong. KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Not that I'm calling you stupid, that's more what I say to myself when I get all kinds of crazy ideas.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 AM

I run 33x10.50s (BFG KM2s) with not a single external weight on them. I cruise down the interstate at 70 mph and it's smooth as glass. I run the good quality airsoft pellets inside each one. Go to Walmart and get the quality ones (not the ones that have a visible "seam" in them).

Here's a chart that'll tell you how many (by weight) to put in each tire based on the size of the tire.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

I can tell you that I'll never use another lead weight again...
Old 02-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Just make absolutely sure there's no leaks. I like to have as few connections as necessary so there's fewer things to go wrong. KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Not that I'm calling you stupid, that's more what I say to myself when I get all kinds of crazy ideas.
I will definately make sure there is not leaks. i dont think it will be a problem tho considering that the existing connections dont leak using the same connectors. Maybe a bit of teflon tape on the threads?

Originally Posted by Gov't Mule
I run 33x10.50s (BFG KM2s) with not a single external weight on them. I cruise down the interstate at 70 mph and it's smooth as glass. I run the good quality airsoft pellets inside each one. Go to Walmart and get the quality ones (not the ones that have a visible "seam" in them).

Here's a chart that'll tell you how many (by weight) to put in each tire based on the size of the tire.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

I can tell you that I'll never use another lead weight again...
Ive heard of people using the airsoft bb's but kinda chuckled at the idea. Might have to give it a try now since youve given me a firsthand perspective on it.
Also i have so much airsoft stuff around here from my milsim days. If anybody has any questions about airsoft guns i would be more than willing to offer advice on that haha.

As im sitting here typing the ups truck just arrived with my lift parts
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 PM

Just to get this right. I have been reading all of the faqs and writeups i can find on the chevy spring swap and from what ive gleaned i need to mount the front spring hanger ~11inches forward of the stock hanger. The shackle mount need to be moved about 4inches back. i am also probly gonna drop a plumb line just to be sure. Does this all sound correct?

also the parts that just arrived were:
ubolt flip
front hangers
shackle mounts
shackles
bolts

with the exception of longer brake lines this should be all i need to put those bad boys on there right?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Yeah that seems to be about right from when I did mine recently. Depending on how many leafs are in your pack, you might have to do some work on you e-brake. I had to but I'm also running the overload and 4 leafs.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Shock mounts on the axle? And I forget, but where'd you get all that stuff from?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sokoji
Yeah that seems to be about right from when I did mine recently. Depending on how many leafs are in your pack, you might have to do some work on you e-brake. I had to but I'm also running the overload and 4 leafs.
I figured im gonna have to do some extra tinkering with things here and there to get it all working right. im not worried, but thanks for the heads up

Shock mounts on the axle? And I forget, but where'd you get all that stuff from?
No my shock mounts are on the ubolt plates i believe. Im going to see if my uncle will let me use his welding stuff this weekend and i can fab up whatever i need to for the shocks and such, as well as get those hangers and chebbies mounted up
I got all my stuff from low range off road.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM

So yet again thanks to the help of this forum and its members i was able to pick out a welder which i will be purchasing tomorrow. Should have alot of fun with that

During the coarse of this week i hope to get the hangers mounted and the lift on

Here is some pics from a while back i felt like posting. Its up at browns camp during the little snow storms we were getting around here. First pic is one i took at work right after the gears and tires were done.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Updates.

Picked up an almost brand new high steer kit with hydro tapped steering box for a few bills of craigs

If it ever stops raining im gonna go start welding hangers on and hopefully get those chevies hung by the end of the day.

Quick question about welding the hangers to the frame. The hangers are quarter inch thick and the frame is 3/16. So i set up the welder for 3/16 right? any other useful tidbits i should know before melting metal together?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Got the chevies hung last night. Not completely sure if im happy the way they are sitting. could have been becuase i was staring at them so long lol.

but it seems to me like the springs are angled funny. Anybody else run in to some issues when hanging these springs?

ill post up more info on what im talking about after i go stare at it a while longer
Old 02-23-2011, 05:40 AM

Did you get the spring hangers and the shackle hangers square before welding them solid. Mine have a touch of angle and the still do great. Let me know how your RUF project goes. I just finished mine and have some death wobble to get figured out.

Quick Reply: My 81 pickup