Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

loose timeing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loose timeing chain?

So i've read various posts about the timeing chain on the 22r. From what I gather, it is not unusuall for the chains to become loose around 130000, which is ~where im at. I also understand that it takes a fair amount of time to change the chain, but is a relatively simple job, except for that hidden guide that can easily be broken. Now what I don't understand is --

is there any easy way to check if the chain is off one of it's guides, or needs to be replaced? or do i have to take off all the crap in the front?

thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can take off the valve cover and take a peak that way. If your over 100k I would do it anyway. Preventative maintenance.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:35 PM

Thanks Stagger Lee,

Problem is im a total rookie mechanic, but im not intimidated, all i need is time, and possibly a garage. If I take it to a shop what would they charge? $400+ ???

Also if i let it go in procastinated neglect - how much damage (typically) am i looking at inflicting on the engine?

thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 PM

If you avoid fixing this, eventually the chain will build enough slack to slip a tooth. When it does this the valves int he head no longer go up and down inside of the head and can cause them to hit a piston. When that piston hits the valve it can bend the valve, bust the head, or puncture the piston itself. Either way you will have to do a rebuild of the head, the engine or possibly both.

A local shop here gave me an estimate of 470 bucks to change the timing chain in my truck on the 20R engine. I ended up doing it myself. I however and not "new" to mechanics but by far am not a pro either. I'm what I call a shade tree mechanic, all self taught from experience and books. I have a gift for taking things apart and making a mental picture of exactly where every nut, bolt, and screw went. I have done it since I was old enough to hold my first screwdriver.

If you are as new to mechanics as you say, I would not suggest doing this job yourself. Especially if this is your only vehicle. If you have another vehicle you can use while this one is down for repairs, then by all means get yourself a FSM or chiltons or haynes, read it, then look at your truck and identify all the steps and parts that the books do. Make mental notes and keep track of everything you touch. That's the best way to learn. Tear into, it really is not that hard once you have done it, you will see. It can just be reall Iffy for someone who had never done it before.

Last edited by scooper; 12-11-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
What happens is that the chain stretches and wears through the guides. The guides get broken & end up in your oil pan. The chain can skip a tooth, but it can also just go merrily along, hitting the timing cover (hear any metallic slapping noise coming from the front of the engine?) and eventually wearing a hole through it, and dumping coolant into the engine, making it basically eat itself. If the chain breaks, it'll have the same effect scooper described. Pistons hit valves and bye bye engine. Every now and then you hear about someone's chain breaking and they shut down and fix it and somehow it didn't destroy the engine, but that seems to be the exception.

If you know what you're looking for, peering down into the timing cover with the valve cover off may show you something, but if you don't know what you're looking for, not sure it will help...

As far as wrenching goes...well, for people with experience, it's a fairly straightforward job. Some people tackle this as their first project and do fine. Anybody that tells you that even if you haven't worked on your vehicle before, this job will be easy, is either one of those with some serious innate mechanical talent, or doesn't remember how complicated things can be your first few times tearing something apart.

There are a lot of bolts that go specific places, exact torque requirements, good gasket placements and if you really screw something up you'll be worse off than when you started, BUT, if you feel that your'e a handy person, and like scooper mentioned if you've got another vehicle and this one can be down for a while while you really take your time, lable everything well, get an FSM if you can or at least a Haynes manual, it's certainly do-able for someone without experience. Especially if you've maybe got a mechanic-y friend?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Books are great for reference, but the invention of the digital camera is my best friend. I take pictures of the work step by step pulling it apart labeling screws, and then I have my own book to look at when I put her back together. Don't worry, just keep track and label everything if you don't have the photographic brain like Coop. I don't.

I would start by pulling off your valve cover to check it out. Easy job. Get your mechanic hand warmed up. Chances are your hoses are dry rotted enough to work, but also hold their position/angles/bends so you will be able to easily tell where they go back on. Otherwise its just a few bolts. Be sure not to strip the head putting them back in and make sure you get a gasket too before your tear into it.

A shop will charge you anywhere from $350 - $600. I would try to find one in the middle range.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 12-12-2008 at 06:56 AM.