Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Looks like I get to hop on the tranny-trouble bandwagon.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I get to hop on the tranny-trouble bandwagon.

First I noticed a slight slipping of the clutch, but since it's been icy around here, and I just put on a different set of tires, I wasn't 100% sure it was a clutch slip. I confirmed an actual slip yesterday by giving heavy gas in fifth gear at @ 40 MPH. I get home and look under the car to find oil dripping out of the bellhousing.

Great.... there goes my weekend. Oh well... at least it, drivable till then.

WRONG!

This morning I go to leave for work and there's no feedback from the shifter. I can't feel any gears engaging. NOTHING. "WTF???...you were working just fine all the way home yesterday, dammit!"

The clutch seems to be working fine (engaging/disengaging) but the shfiter isn't moving the gear selectors around. After rowing through the gearslots for about 15 seconds I fellt it drop into a gear (fifth I think) so I try to get rolling. LOTS of clutch pedal manuvers gets me up to a speed where the car isn't trying to shake itself apart, but I can't get any other gears, and I can't get it out of fifth. I can clutch it, but it won't leave fifth gear.

So I manage to drift through a few stop signs (not so much a bad thing in a residential neighborhood at 3:30 AM) and get my tonka back into the drive way.

Chiltons says the linkages are all internal and that adjustment are not neccessary....indeed, not even possible without removing/partially disassembling the tranny. Lovely.

Looks like I'm getting the dang thing rebuilt. (or replaced if they have one already on the shelf ready to go.)

<sigh>My cheap truck is turning into a money-pit......but it's still cheaper than a new car!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM

FRIGGIN'

Found a used tranny with a 60 day warranty for $175 NO-CORE!!

And they're even gunna PULL it for me!!<happy-dance>
Old 02-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Update

Borrowed a friends truck to run the 1.5 hours one way to go pick up the tranny. 1 hour into the return trip the rear end on his truck gave out. Turns out he had it serviced about 3 weks prior, and the tech not only neglected to replace the fill plug....HE DIDN'T EVEN ADD ANY DANG GEAR OIL!!

Weekly life prevented me from doing much wrenching, so I planned to get cracking on Saturday.

Rain. drat. Oh well....stoke up the fire, and veg for a day....I needed a 'day off' anyway.

Sunday. WOOT...sunny and warm. got teh tranny pulled and the replacement about 80% installed...just need to hook up the clutch linkage, throttle linkage, exhaust, radiator, install the starter and I should be good to go!