Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

'82 2WD Toyota needs trans...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '82 2WD Toyota needs trans...HELP

I have a 2WD '82 Toyota with the original 5 speed trans in it. I have 269,000 miles on it and the trans is starting to leak pretty bad at the tailshaft seal. I've replaced that seal twice but it continues to leak...I think worn bearings may be allowing that shaft to wobble a little and cause seal to leak. My question is...what are my options for a replacement trans?? I am looking for minimal modification, basically bolt-in. Anybody??
Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Wrecking yards will have good used trannys. You could also have that rear bearing replaced, but the internals will still be higher mileage. If you can find an honest rebuilder, have then completely go through the trans, replacing bearings, synchros, etc.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:48 AM

I've owned this truck since it was NEW, and my wife has agreed to bury me in it. I've rebuilt the motor and front end and pretty much any and all maintenance that's been done has been done by me. I consider myself pretty damn mechanically inclined and meticulous. I've thought about getting the L52 rebuild kit from Marlin and doing it myself. I guess my question is to you guys that are "in the know", how hard is it to rebuild that trans?? I have a pretty well stocked garage tool and equipment wise...should I attempt it??
Old 05-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Try PM'ing 82yota I saw in a thread earlier that he rebuild his over a weekend. He might have some insite for you. If you can get a hold of an FSM, they have a step by step process.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Yep...working on that FSM right now...I'll PM him and pick his brain....THANKS!!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 AM

I rebuilt my 4x4 manual tranny. I got the kit from Marlin Crawler but I'm not sure if he has rebuild kits for 2wds or not. I had an FSM and it was very helpful. On mine I needed a 3 jaw puller, but a small one because there was not much room for it. You need it for the front main bearing on a 4x4 tranny. My 82 FSM has the 2wd trannys in it so I could take a look and see what differences there are in it. I could even scan the pages for you and send them to you in an email if you want. Anyways I'm off to work but I'll get back to this tonight.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:48 AM

Thanks man!! I just bought an FSM off ebay so I should have it in a few days. As far as differences in the kits, I'm gonna call Marlin and ask the source. I was more curious about specifically what kind of tools (pullers, presses, etc) that you had to use as well as basically just the overall difficulty of the job with a strong mechanical aptitude and an FSM.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Good score on the FSM. Ebay is where I found mine. Felt kind of bad for the the guy I was bidding against but hey it was an auction and I wanted it

The FSM refers to tools needed at each step, even list the part number for the tool or 'commercial equivelant' But the nice thing is that it covers both 2WD and 4x4 transmissions in step by step detail. I think you will be happy with your purchase...

Be sure to let us know how the rebuild goes. I am willing to tackle anything on the truck except for when it talks about preload that sort of stuff
Old 05-22-2007, 05:53 PM

If you have a strong mechanical aptitude you will have no problems with it. You will need a press as well to press the input shaft bearing on. The worse part of the whole ordeal for me was getting the damn thing in and out of the truck. Oh and the gear selectors inside the tranny are tricky to put back together once you accidentally take one apart so follow the instructions to what they say about what gears to put it in and all and you will be fine. It wasn't that bad a job really. But make sure you have an extra set of hands for taking the tranny out. 3 guys is a bit much but one isn't enough. I can't think of anything else to say about it. I've had mine apart 2 times. First time I only replaced the front bearing but then I went swimming with the beast and the tranny did not like that so I did a full rebuild on it. And its been going strong for over a year now with no noise. If you have anymore questions just ask em.