Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1979 20R 2WD project.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It won't stay running. Could I be flooding it without a fuel regulator?
It actually stayed running with the asian carb.
Discouragement is setting in. It also smokes out of manifold heat shield pipe.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Check for a vacuum leak. Make sure the floats are set right. You might have to rejet the carb like I stated early in your post. I have to rejet my weber to make it to run and idle.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM

I thought these carbs came with correct jets. In just running stock. No performance parts.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Hmmmm....well that pobably means A. You are flooding due to incorrect jets and or no fuel regulator
B. Your settings are off for fast idle and mixture screws. Set them according to the manual....and then slowly work your way through the screws.

It helps to have either a bump starter or a buddy helping you out.

I can't see the jets being too far out though IMO.

I wish I could say that there is a quick fix but there isn't. You're gonna have to play with it. Check timing as well. I have heard that the 20/22r like about 8 advanced somewhere on this forum.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM

I dont know but I followed the weber carb manual to a tee quit a few times and notta. I got a fuel regulator from autozone and notta. i got to thinking maybe from sitting so long its got carbon build up.
Ill keep tinkering with it but Im lost. Whats funny is That wire that hooks to it on that black part on the left of the carb was accidentally off and it still cranked one time. Maybe im in over my head.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Carb cleaner or seafoam could help with that I would think. Iirc turning the idle in speeds up the idle and counterclockwise on the mixture leans out fuel.

I would try Carb cleaner and turning the idle up to see if you can get it to start. Then if you can keep it running you can put some good ol seafoam in there. About a quarter can should do the trick. Let it sit for about 10 min or so...then fire it up and keep it running until the white smoke goes away.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Seafoam through my Pvc port? Thats if it will stay cranked.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Here's how I got mine running the first time. I started with stock setting from Weber and mine wouldn't start either. Do a quarter turn in on the idle screw and try again. Make smaller adjustments on the mixture screw. Try again. If it does crank and run for a little bit smell the exhaust. The more it smells like gas the richer the mix is. There's a sweet spot in there somewhere. If you go out of adjustment with the screws that's a sign that you need different jets. Keep working with it though and see if you can get it to idle so you can sea foam it. After the sea foam return to stock settings and start again to see if you can tune it within adjustment.

You need a vacuum line for sea foam....I know they're small but its the best way to get it all through the engine. I would stay away for the pcv port because you don't want to get a lot into your oil system. You want it in the cylinders.

Aha! Here's an idea for the sea foam. Put about quarter can in a clear 20oz bottle and then with the engine running suck the sea foam up with the vacuum line. You'll probably need a buddy though since you are having trouble keeping it running.

I know all of this stuff is difficult to get the hang of. You're working on a truck that was made 4 yrs before I was even born lol. I had to learn everything as well and had the same confusion going on. Don't give up though. Its like riding a bike.

Last edited by KryptoRoxx; 11-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM

I dug this up for you too. It helped me get the hang of it.
www.racetep.com/webjettune.html
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Krypto, thanks for the link. I need to chill and step away for a day or so.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM

NP...and I understand the frustration. I do it a lot myself since I'm still learning too. Let us know what happens! I love the project.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Where do you live? Elevation makes a difference. Webers from the factory are jetted for sea level elevations (I'm pretty much at sea level here on the east coast so I had no problems) but say you live in Colorado, then you would need larger (I think) jets. Not a big deal to change but I would contact weber to see what size they recommend at your particular elevation.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kawazx636
Where do you live? Elevation makes a difference. Webers from the factory are jetted for sea level elevations (I'm pretty much at sea level here on the east coast so I had no problems) but say you live in Colorado, then you would need larger (I think) jets. Not a big deal to change but I would contact weber to see what size they recommend at your particular elevation.
Agreed but when I was researching this (I'm in the Twentynine Palms area right below Big Bear) what I discovered is that the jets don't really change till 6500-7000ft. I don't know how true this is but I haven't had any problems.....but I have no idea what jets are sent from the factory lol.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM

I live in southern Alabama. Could those two piece adapter setup be giving me fits. You know, the ones that came with the carb. I honestly can't keep it cranked long enough to check for leaks.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Well you shouldn't have elevation problems that's for sure. The weber adapter that comes with the carb SUCKS! I had horrible leaking from it.
The only thing that you can do is crank it down at tightly as possible without stripping it when you're putting the adapter together....and it still might leak a little.

This is what I replaced it with. I believe it will fit the 20r intake manifold but I would call LC Engineering to make sure. They also might be able to help you out with your starting issues as well.
http://www.lceperformance.com/Spiral...-p/1033028.htm

Last edited by KryptoRoxx; 11-06-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Update: Well I took the carb off today and was gonna apply some gasket seal on this thing and what do I see. I seen some carb gaskets with gas on them. All three of them. That confirms that these two piece adapter plates are junk. If they would have been dry I would have done that but they wern't
Well I didnt want to spend anymore money as of now but Im hoping maybe thats whats keeping my truck from staying running.
Heres a pic with gas on the gaskets. What ya think?

Last edited by d-wood; 11-07-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: pic message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 AM

I reverted back to "stock" jets and I was having trouble too. I am still working on tuning it though so I will let you know where I ended up at.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 AM

I can't keep it cranked anyway. Did you see the fuel on my gaskets. I probally need to fix that first anyway. Hex I don't know anything about jets anyway. Lol
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Jets are little pitas that you can get different sizes on depending on what kind of parts you have in your engine. Cans, performance ignition, pistons, cranks, etc affect how much fuel your engine consumes. The other thing that will affect your jets is type or octane of fuel. With of the ethanol in our fuel now this might be what's messing you up. I run 87 in mine and I'd bet you have that in your tank too.

The other thing that will change with the Weber is the timing...
But you gotta get the engine running for that.

Lemme get mine running and I will let you know what ballpark area you might be looking at for jets.

Last edited by KryptoRoxx; 11-08-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 AM

Alright sounds good. I got the o ethanol fuel in mine right now. Still I don't think I was supposed to have that much fuel on my gaskets.

Quick Reply: 1979 20R 2WD project.