Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

sandblasting

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sandblasting

I Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on sandblasting as I spent (wasted) 1 whole day fighting with my new psi sandblater. I put my new psi sandblaster together dump the sand in it I got about 5 sec of blasting it clog soild I put a broom handle in it and got some of it loose and got 2 sec of blasting this went on for a while till a small rock got jamed in the hose and I spent the rest of the day uncloging and cleaning my new sandblaster. so here is what I learned I got 200 pounds (4 bags) of sand I layed out a 20x20 tarp spread out the sand thin and let it dry really really good in the sun then I got some window screen and screened the sand into a bucket you will be amazed at what is in the sand I sure was.fill your sand blaster up and go to town I did a whole front rear with the 200 pds. I did the sandblasting in a booth I made in my garage using painters plastic stapled to the roof and walls next to a window with a fan PLEASE USE A MASK AND HEAD GEAR this stuff goes flying everwhere and is no good to breath in. after I had a beach in my garage I sweep it up screened it into the bucket and used it again with no problems. take the time to get use to the valves mine has 3 valves which need to all be adjusted 1 for the sand flow 1 for air flow and 1 for the mix of air and sand if they are not right you will go threw a lot of sand or a lot of air fast they dont have to be perfect but dont have them wide open. If this helps 1 person I will be happy to know that somebody did not waste a day like I did.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of sand you using? I always use Silica sand and never have any clogging problems, occasionaly in the Tip. but nothing a peice of hanger won't fix. 3 or 4 bucks a bag at the Home Depot.