Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Harbor Freight Tools

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up a 800lb tranny jack from them for $99.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:34 PM

My experience:
Used one of their die grinders and their air punch flanging tool. Both worked great.

I have also used their pulley remover set and slide hammer. Both were adequate to do the job.

The snap ring pliers made it through a pair of rings and then on the third the a pin that fits in the ring snapped off. This happened a 2nd time. I'll try and have them replaced next time I go.

Borrowed one of their 4.5" angle grinders before. After less than a minute the grinder was very hot and I could smell something burning. I stopped there and bought a Dewalt.

Overall hit or miss, I still wouldn't want to rely on their stuff out on the trail.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:20 PM

I bought a grinder from them about a year and a half ago,planned on using it for one job.I can't get it to die,I guess when it does I'll buy a better one. I definetly have gotten my 14 dollars worth out of it.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:17 PM

has anyone tried their pipe benders? is it worth it?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I NEED a set of boxheads....these damn accords are killing me with the 2 hidden away nuts on the bottom of the radio!

Would you guys say nay to HF boxheads?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has anyone noticed theyre shipping takes forever and a day?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Woohoo, can't beat a 25 piece metric wrench set for $19.99
Old 07-26-2005, 01:48 PM

I broke a cheap Harbor Freight 3-jaw puller a couple weeks ago
Old 08-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FingerMan20
Man we bought one of them and it darkens pretty late... Way too late to make me want to use it... I would guess that it turns on in about twice the time of any other one, but it isn't quick enough to save your vision those little spots!! The only way we can use it is to keep the auto feature off!

They have a switch in the battery compartment for fast or slow darkening

And I buy crap there pretty often... They have always taken things back when i brake them - even if it was from a case of severe missuse and abuse. I picked up an air hammer kit for 7 bucks the other for a project I was helping a friend with - Having never used an air hammer before I found it tons of fun to just break up old cement blocks for a half hour. 7 dollar tool is working great.
Also bought a 4.5inch grinder for $12 a while back and have abused that thing relentlessly and It still has not given up.

Last edited by phorunninduke; 08-11-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cacattack
has anyone noticed theyre shipping takes forever and a day?
Shipping for me is pretty fast. But I'm close to their HQ in So Cal.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Woohoo, can't beat a 25 piece metric wrench set for $19.99
Wait 'till it goes on sale for $10.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
They have a switch in the battery compartment for fast or slow darkening
Why would they have slow darkening? I will have to check that out.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

A little report on my harbor freight use.
1. I bought a 1/2 inch drill from them for like 38 bucks, I was using it to run a paddle for mixing thinset for a tile job in my house.

I put down 700 sq ft of tile in my house, and did a small bathroom in my buddies house before the drill burned up. I knew I would fry a drill using it to mix the stuff unless I paid big bucks for a hole grub. I could have bought the warrany, but I was being cheap that day. last week I was in harbor freight and the drill was on sale for 25$, I should have picked up another, oh well. all in all I saved a ton of time by using the mixer vs. hand mixing the thinset. for those of you who have mixed thinset by hand you are well aware of how tired your arm can get.

2. Bought a chuck key for an old drill, was cheap.

3. Bought a set of brass drifts for my hub replacement. You had to buy the set, it was only 8$ has a chisel lookin thingy and a brass bar with a knurled handle.

As for sockets etc.. I would echo the sentiment posted by a lot of others in this thread, go craftsman; however, my metric sockets (1/2 in and 3/8 in drive) are dynacraft form checker auto, I think. They have been great, the ratchet is still good and I have not broken any sockets (yet). I have trashed lots of cheap tools too.

I am lucky though, there is a harbor freight 1/2 mile from my house, so if I need an el cheapo replacement, or a new tool, I am a hop skip and a jump from the china connection
Old 09-12-2005, 10:11 PM

it all depends on what you buy, they sell some junk, but for dirt cheap. some things, you can't go wrong. wrenchs, there is not much to them, so buy them cheap at HF. ALL my tools are from HF. you can buy 3 sets for the price of one at sears. but if you are running a buiness, buy from snap-on or sears. this way, you walk in and get a new tool. with HF you usually need the recipt, and it takes time to get the new tool. but, you can just buy a new one and still be saving money. i think they are great, I bought over the mail, then moved to FL, and i have the store down the street, and love buying a body saw for 14.99, when the same saw, same specs at other places cost 89.99. save the money, and use HF.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Allright kids- here is the secret- scour garage sales and pawn shops for craftsman tools, get them cheap and y'all know the rest
Old 09-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
Allright kids- here is the secret- scour garage sales and pawn shops for craftsman tools, get them cheap and y'all know the rest
here is my dirty secret- I have found craftsman sockets and wrenches in the street all rusted and beat up as they probably fell outa the back of some poor guys truck. I also paid $5 for an old broken drill press. Took the wrenches and drill press and exchanged them for new ones
Old 09-20-2005, 09:25 PM

I worked at Sears...they don't exchange power tools.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:34 PM

I bought a wirefeed gasless welder from them for $115. I've laid some great welds with it and think it works fine for light duty work. Obviously being a 115 volt welder you aren't going to weld 1/2" steel with it, but I wasn't expecting that much.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GunManOsh
I worked at Sears...they don't exchange power tools.

Thats what I thought, but i figured it was worth a shot. Maybe they where new or didn't care.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive bought a TON of HF stuff over the years. I have a balljoint/ujoint service tool kit i have had for 5 years now and changed countless ujoints and like 4 sets of ball joints with it half of which were on the trail.

Pipe threader set (1/2, 3/4, 1") and pipe vise. i bought the set for what i could rent the same thing for. Worked great for the dozzen or so ends i threaded. and i get to keep it forever. (for the next time in 10 years when i have to thread a few ends of pipe)

Got a 14" cut off saw, 8" buffer, 1/2" metric impact sockets that ive had for 3 years and use about once a week, not a single problem. Bought a couple of sets of cheepy screwdrivers cause im always loseing them various places. (why toss $8 down the drain for one craftsman screwdriver when i can get a set of 6 for that at HF)
Ive gotten punch/chissel sets, autodarking helmet which works fine, cut off wheels, pipe clamp ends, tape, heat shrink all sorts of that kind of stuff that really doenst matter were you get it.

I will NOT buy there wrenches, or powertools i plan on useing a lot (unless its a name brand such as dewalt etc), or rachets/ratchet renches. Those items need high quality parts and tolances which you wont find at HF

Last edited by snap-on; 09-21-2005 at 06:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Tools