Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Haspin Acres, Laurel Indiana-pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haspin Acres, Laurel Indiana-pics

I know there are a few Indiana guys out there that might want to see these pics. Here ya go

This weekend we went to www.haspinacres.com over in Laurel Indiana. It's only an hour and a half away, which is a short drive for us for a decent wheeling spot. I finally realized that this place is much better suited for small vehicles like Jeeps and Sammis, or ATV's. Too many tight trees, deep ruts, and steep hills for my rig, and no rocks. I'm itchin' to get back down to KY where they are plenty of rocks and wide open trails.

Anyways, on to the pics. This first pic is the group I rode with, 1 Cherokee, 2 Jeeps, 1 Blazer, and my 4Runner. The Cherokee was bone stock, the yellow jeep had 31" TSL's and a rear locker, blazer was stock with 31" mud tires, blue/mud Jeep was stock with ~30 AT's, and then my 4Runner.

Next is the first small mud hole we found. Fun to play around in since the rest of the trails were dry as a bone and dustier than heck.

Next was a nice little rut that sunk your right rear tire causing your left front to catch some air (except me, my rig flexed right through it :pfft: )

Next was a nice short hill climb that passed in between 2 narrow trees. Only the yellow jeep made it since he has TSL's and a locker. The other jeep and the Cherokee tried but since they dont have lockers or aggressive tires they just spun at the top.

Now for my turn. I wasn't really sure if I could make it or not since the 2 trees were very narrow and the other trucks barely fit in between. But they said it looked like I could make it, so I lined it up, held the wheel straight, and gunned it. I got about 3/4 of the way up, hit a rut, bounced to the right, and smacked the tree, HARD. It put a nice dent in my TJM bumper, and ripped my crappy weld job on the bracket attached to the frame. So I had to tie the bumper up and limp back to camp.

Then by buddy got his 78 Jeep stuck in a big hole on the right side. We just rocked him side to side and he made it out, but it was a huge hole that would have swallowed half his truck if he would have went in it completely.

Then, late that night, we noticed a clunking sound coming from by brother's 76 Blazer' front end. I got out and could see the wheel wobbling very bad and the wheel kicked in at the top. So we parked it until the morning, when we took the tire off and realized the wheel bearings were completely gone and the only thing holding the rotor on the truck was the brake caliper and the snap ring on the axle shaft. So we had to call a flat bed to tow it home, and after $176 tow bill and 72 miles back home later, we made it. His truck was pretty muddy after some of the huge mud pits he buried himself in (which I'm still waiting on a buddy to send me pics of)

Next trip will be to Livingston KY or Slade.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice pictures! That place reminds me of the Cliffs, a 4X4 park outside of Chicago. Did you really hit that tree THAT hard? Do you think if the TJM was mounted better it would have taken the impact? That TJM is tweaked pretty bad. I would have thought that it would have taken it.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think if the TJM was mounted better, it would have been damaged WORSE. The tree I hit was a big thick tree, it diddnt even flinch when I hit it.

The bumper itself isnt really damaged THAT bad. The reason it is crooked in the pic is because it ripped the mount off the frame. I made the mount myself, but the welds to the frame werent strong so they tore off.

Here's a closeup of the dent in the bumper. Nothing I can't pound back with a sledge hammer and maybe some heat.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Pics
Old 07-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great to see haspen, haven't been all year. Would help if i'd get off my lazy ass and finish my truck.