Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Harley Davidson stuck in wash (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley Davidson stuck in wash (Pictures)

This occurred about a month ago, I just got around to uploading the pictures.
This is on the road to Seven Springs in Arizona, north of Scottsdale about 30 minutes. It had been raining heavily recently and many of the washes were flowing strong. My buddy and I were on our way up to Red Creek on the Verde to go 4wheeling and we got to the first wash on the dirt road and came across this. It was his own Harley Davidson, brand new, he just wanted to go for a scenic ride, dont know why he choose a dirt road however? Story is, he tried to cross the wash and realized halfway across it was too deep so he tried to turn around in the wash...and I have NO idea who the hippie guy is...but he was an interesting character.

look at that facial expression...

he was actually trying to PULL the motorcycle...I was dying laughing

he kept the harley running the entire time it was in the wash...probably wise so it wouldnt fill up with water...after we got him out everything was cool...
-Brian

Old 02-07-2005, 08:04 PM

You got wet?

I would have made in get in the water and take out his bike.

Happened to me almost in a similar scenario but this was at Table Mesa Rd.

A Ranger was in the middle of Agua Fria wash high centered so I asked if he needed help but he would have to get wet, not me.

On another note, I was just there last Monday and did recognize that small wash pass.

How far in is Red Creek?

I took the Seven Springs Road (24 then 41 FS) about thirty miles in and leads you to a big ranch but decided to turn around there as it was getting a bit late. Further north looked like it might have taken you to Camp Verde or something. There were some steep hills to climb.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

That is quite the crossing...
Kind of weird place to be riding a brand new Harley aswell isn't it?

Wow... what a... weird thread. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

i dotn get why he tried to go through the water... there is a good 2 lane roadway right next to the creek....
Old 02-07-2005, 08:18 PM

i didnt get wet

NO, that was NOT me on the bike, that was the owner of the bike..and the random hippie dude just happened to pull up as we pulled up. My buddy took the pictures...and I was in my 4runner the entire time just in awe and laughing...
Old 02-07-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
i dotn get why he tried to go through the water... there is a good 2 lane roadway right next to the creek....
no, in order to pass through you had to cross the wash...he had no option..but he wasnt the brightest of people to be out there on a dirt road on a harley in the first place...
Old 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

ah.... just a moron then... im sure the harley would have done fine on the dirt ROAD..... but when he got to the little CREEK, he should have turned around....
Old 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Scofco
That is quite the crossing...
Kind of weird place to be riding a brand new Harley aswell isn't it?

Wow... what a... weird thread. Thanks!
My thoughts exactly!

Old 02-07-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by KING
You got wet?

I would have made in get in the water and take out his bike.

Happened to me almost in a similar scenario but this was at Table Mesa Rd.

A Ranger was in the middle of Agua Fria wash high centered so I asked if he needed help but he would have to get wet, not me.

On another note, I was just there last Monday and did recognize that small wash pass.

How far in is Red Creek?

I took the Seven Springs Road (24 then 41 FS) about thirty miles in and leads you to a big ranch but decided to turn around there as it was getting a bit late. Further north looked like it might have taken you to Camp Verde or something. There were some steep hills to climb.

Yeah, the ranch you passed off to your right is on the way to Red Creek, if you keep going another 10 minutes or so you will come to a "T" in the road, take a right and stay on that for several miles then you will take another turn-off. I recommend looking up Red Creek in a Delorme Atlas of AZ. It dumps into the Verde nearby Tangle Creek, you will see the roads on the map, Red Creek trail actually follows the creek down to the verde, it can be hairy in places especially with water. Check it out, its a fun trail, great challenge for a stock toyota 4x4, but it is passable. I will try to post pictures of Red Creek later...
Old 02-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Open a ferry business.

That Harley rider knows how things get done.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 PM

Red creek trail is found by traveling up seven springs road past seven springs. I don't want to guess how far it is but I'd say 30-45 minutes up from the paystation is a split with a prominant sign for the great western trail. There are also arrows that point left (W) for Bloody Basin Rd (aka gwt) or right (E) for sheeps bridge. If you go right it is 11 miles to sheeps bridge which is a cool place to visit. However if you only go for a mile or so, on the left will be FR18 which is the Red Creek trail. FR16 is before it but I have never traveled on it and I believe the sign says 27mi! to the Verde.

Never actually made it all the way because of daylight issues. Its a very long ride and pretty remote. Not many people drive this! My stock truck made it as far as I dared to go and I'm sure with enough time could make it all the way. Ground clearance is the biggest issue, 33" tires would be much better than my 30's. Oh yeah low gearing helps lessen the jarring too. Here are some more pics of that trip westy44runner and I went on.

HERE

That Harley guy said several people had just driven by and laughed at him. Turns out he was looking for Bartlett lake and was crazy enough to go this far. I sent him up to the FAA tower road which was 50ft from this wash. He e-mailed me after and said that the bike was fine and the view from the tower redeemed the trip. He'll be talking about that for the rest of his life!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by westy44runner
he was actually trying to PULL the motorcycle...I was dying laughing
this is priceless
Old 02-08-2005, 03:29 PM

I am assuming the "T" is passing the ranch?
Old 02-08-2005, 07:36 PM

yes the T is past the ranch about 6-7 miles approximately.

...thought you guys might get a kick out of those pictures...
Old 02-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Y2K

Just to set the record straight guys...that is not a new Harley it is no newer than a '98.It has the old Evo motor in it and the last year Evo was '98.
'99 and newer Road Kings have the Twin Cam 88".
I'm bet'n this dip˟˟˟˟˟ was on a rental bike.
Y2K
Old 02-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
ah.... just a moron then... im sure the harley would have done fine on the dirt ROAD..... but when he got to the little CREEK, he should have turned around....
Exactly....

Q: What was he thinking?

A: Listen for the whistle sound as wind blows between his ears.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Just to set the record straight guys...that is not a new Harley it is no newer than a '98.It has the old Evo motor in it and the last year Evo was '98.
'99 and newer Road Kings have the Twin Cam 88".
I'm bet'n this dip˟˟˟˟˟ was on a rental bike.
Y2K
Whatever year it is, and I certainly belive you, it appears on first look to be (had been) in pretty good condition.
Oh well.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:27 AM

my first question to him even BEFORE i asked what he was doing out here was if it was a rental, but he swore it was his own bike...

poor guy had no idea what he was getting into out there though...just glad he made it out without damaging the bike...if only they made 2-wheel drive harleys he may have made it across the wash
Old 02-14-2005, 07:39 AM

Rokon

ever seen or drive one of these?

http://www.rokon.com/about/index.htm

my buddies friend has one, damn things will go anywhere...
Old 02-14-2005, 07:44 AM

haha yeah I have seen ads for those Rokons. That is what made me think of the '2 wheel drive harley'. I have not seen one in action, but I would imagine they are awesome trail bikes.
-Brian

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson stuck in wash (Pictures)