86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

TransAmBandit's 1987 4Runner SR5 Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TransAmBandit's 1987 4Runner SR5 Turbo Build

First off, I'm really terrible at build threads these days. So I will do my absolute best to keep this as updated as possible.

So a little about me, old school car enthusiast. Been into these things since I was a kid. My dad had first gens, and some other 80s stuff. When I got old enough, I was able to hoard all I could get my hands on. So when I found out these trucks came turbo with digi dash I had to have one.

One day in Feb 2011, I was sitting in college pretending to care, when my buddy texts me a link to a craigslist ad. Turns out it was a 87 4Runner Turbo with a BHG. Went the next night took a look at it. And $1100 later itI was mine.

The guy had took apart some minor things to take the head off, but stopped. I brought the truck home, let it sit until that summer. Started unhooking things to take the motor out. Stopped because I couldnt stop buying cars and kept jumping around from car to car. Truck sat for three years untouched with the exception of me storing Supra parts in it. lol Last week I said screw it, time to get it done.

Pulled the motor out over the weekend and started dissasembly. Turns out the motor had water in it the whole time, and water was sitting in the two rear cylinders which kinda rusted them together. Took some time with a sledge and an old wooden baseball bat to get them out. Hopefully everything is all well when it comes to machine work.

From the research Ive done these past few years, Ive noticed these turbo heads have the tendency to crack. If this one turns out to be cracked, I will be slapping a NA head into it.

Plans:

-Rebuilt Bottom end with some strengthened bolts. ARP hardware. Hopefully I dont have to oversize anything.
- MHG with ARP Studs (been reading a composite headgasket could still work well)
-I would like to do a cam but I need to do some more research on that topic.
Upgraded 22RTE Turbo kit I bought off of a friend. Precision Turbo (unsure of the specs) Turbosmart Wastegate, New Manifold, FMIC, 440cc injectors
Megasquirt with AFM Delete.

I will try to get Turbo specs and hopefully I could pick the brains of some more experienced 22RTE people here. I feel like the turbo may be too big for my setup. It was previosly installed on a 2WD truck, but they ran stock engine management and melted a piston (no kidding)

Time for pics.
Some photos.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-11-2014 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a cool build, look forward to seeing your progress!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 PM

Update:

Earlier today I dropped the block head and crank off to be checked and worked on. So far he said the block will need to be bored .040 over with new pistons and rings. The crank polished and standard crank and rod bearings. The head will be checked for cracks and if good will be rebuilt and shaved if need be.

One thing that I'm uncertain about is he said the block will not have to be decked once straight. I asked about if I go with a mhg if it would make a difference he said no.

Any thoughts on that subject would be appreciated. I was always under the impression it will have to be if a mhg is used.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:17 AM

Nice build! Looking forward to progress.