86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 4runner 3vze no power over 50 mph very lean trouble shoot

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4runner 3vze no power over 50 mph very lean trouble shoot

Hi I'm new to the board. The last few weeks I've been Trouble shooting my 3vze. I searched nonstop on forums looking for answers and found nothing. Anyhow I want to post my symptoms so if somebody else has a prob like me they will know to check this first...
Here we're my symptoms
Rough idle sometimes die first start of the day no acceleration over 3800 rpm would not make it up hills no power horrible gas mileage running really lean and very hot to the touch (blew out a coolant hose, not overheating) would not move over 50 mph puffed little white smoke light
I had it in the shop with no results so I got online and trouble Shooted it and here's what I replaced...by the way I had no codes and no cel
Complete tuneup with ac Delco plugs, new cat, new flow master muffler, new tps, new temp sensor, tore into it and made sure I didn't slip on my timing marks and made sure the key way did not wobble out, put a dollar in the exhaust and made sure it didnt suck it in ( if it does you have a burnt valve) new air flow meter (mass) new air intake (my hose had a crack) new 02 sensor compression tested it (130 on all cylinders) had it in the tranny shop (it tested good) was told to check the fuel regulator, but after reading deap into it the fuel regulator causes a car to run really rich (i was very lean) was also told to check the fuel pump, but when the go out they make a noise and usually trip a fuse under the clove box i also ran sea foam through the intake no results on anything
Finally I just started searching what makes your car run lean....results being mass, 02 sensor, clogged cat and finally the egr valve. That was it the valve was stuck open. When it got to temp it would fail. I should mention I did the test of unhooking the modulator and mine passed, but it was the only thing I had not replaced so I took it off and what did I see....carbon build up from he ll and the valve barely moved. So I cleaned it with sea foam and parts cleaner. Then the Valve moved with ease. Got the bigger chunks out of the intake, poured some sea foam in it and now it runs like a champ does not feel like a 3.slo or 3.wont go anymore. Spark plugs are chocolate brown And gas mileage is back up. So if you have my symptoms CLEAN OR REPLACE YOUR EGR VALVE!!!!
it's the best I've ever felt the 3.0 engine and I'm sas running on 35's with 5:29s auto tranny
Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 AM

Btw I bought the cheap $40 cold air intake on eBay and it's awesome great upgrade
Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 AM

Oh and make sure to unplug your battery cable and reset the computer and also MAKE SURE TO RE TIME IT that's very important
Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ha Ha u 8 my dirt?

I could pick your otherwise unintelligible post apart so much it would look like you were playing with lego's when you wrote it.

Mass makes you run lean? How so? More mass or less mass is lean? Physics says less mass is lean. My motorcycle has around 261 kilograms of mass, and my truck has around 1815 kilograms of mass, so does the motorcylce run leaner or richer than the truck?

Oh, you meant "Mass Air Flow Sensor", right? Well dag nabbit... a 3VZE doesn't have one of those.
You think there is a fuse under the glove box for the fuel pump...
... you have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU...
... and a $40 CAI is a great investment?

AND you want people to take you seriously? You SERIOUSLY don't know what you're talking about.
If you do know something, you hide it well.

You're more than welcome to return and offer knowledge, but only after you've graduated 4th year rice tuner and are ready for automotive training... and know what a paragraph is and how to form them.

Beyond all that...
Welcome to Yotatech.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-08-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hahau8mydirt
>snip<

Spark plugs are chocolate brown
>snip<
That's worrying too: brown plugs? Where are you?
Brown deposits on the plugs is a sign of MTBE, which hasn't been used for years.