YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/)
-   -   Red '86 4x4 SR5 (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/red-86-4x4-sr5-281367/)

deutschman 10-12-2014 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Roark (Post 52227691)
I like bumper, I like the white camper, and I like the small tires!!

If only the wheels were black..

Thanks man.
The wheels on the truck right now are black.

I just bought these 80's fog lights for the truck to replace the cheap Hella lights up front. One of the Hella lights has cracked glass anyways. I think Ill put the Hella thats still good in the back as a work light.
I think these will look tits on the truck :)
They are about 6" wide
Attachment 127302

deutschman 12-12-2014 10:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not much on the truck has changed. I got my "prince of darkness" lights mounted and working well with some Hella fog bulbs that make these light quite bright. Im happy with how they look and work. I really want a winch. Need to save up some money for a Warn8000 or something.
Attachment 125457

Iv been using the truck a lot for work. I was helping a friend with some landscaping a few months ago and loaded the truck up with a whole bunch of composted top soil. Im always surpised how this truck feels with weight in it. It seams like weight makes no difference. The truck feel just as strong/fast when its empty as when its loaded up with a bunch of weight. Its a strange feeling that I have never experienced with another car/truck.
Attachment 125458

I also finally got my VDO temp gauge mounted and wires in. I still need to finalize a solid mount for it. Its only taped on with 3M outdoor double sided tape right now. The screw hole on the gauge pod is really hard to get a tool to with the gauge all assembled. But it is really good to know what temp the 22re operates at. It runs around 185F and goes up to about 190 when parked and the fan isnt running. That seams like a really good normal temp to me.
Attachment 125459

I am working on a new project that I havent touched for a while. I went to Harbor Freight and bought the most heavy duty trailer they had. I welded it all together, and I am planning on enclosing it and turning it into a sort of moving tool shed for work. I hate using the back of the truck as a storage bin. I think it will also help a lot with our move up to WA next year. Ill throw some pics up when I start making some progress.

deutschman 01-03-2015 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not related to my truck directly, but this is my GF's new to her '95 4Runner V6 5 speed SR5.
Its in real decent shape mechanically. The previous owner did new Japanese head gaskets, belts and a few other odds and ends.
The only problem right now is an intermittent idle issue. Randomly the idle will dip down and start pulsing, almost killing the motor. Then it goes back to running well again. Ill have to figure that out.
Everything on the interior works beautifully.
My GF is real happy with it. She had a big old smile on her face.
Attachment 124859

rustED 01-03-2015 09:56 PM

Nice work on the temp gauge, it's nice to be able to keep tabs on the temp and have an actual reading! What part of Washington are you planning to move to?

84 yota dude 01-03-2015 10:06 PM

Nice truck! Did she get that 95 off of CL? I saw the ad for the truck in Santa Rosa. Looked really clean!

deutschman 01-04-2015 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by rustED (Post 52245516)
Nice work on the temp gauge, it's nice to be able to keep tabs on the temp and have an actual reading! What part of Washington are you planning to move to?

It's very nice knowing a correct temp. Way less nail biting.
We are hoping to move close to Port Townsend. I'v lived there before and loved it.

deutschman 01-04-2015 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude (Post 52245519)
Nice truck! Did she get that 95 off of CL? I saw the ad for the truck in Santa Rosa. Looked really clean!

It sure is the '95 off CL. It's incredibly clean on the inside. Out side has a few dents and scratches here and there, but it is a truck after all. We are both very happy with it.
I might start a separate thread for it. I had a dream of turning my truck into an overland expedition rig, but hers may be a better choice. We will see.
I'd love to do a Canada/Alaska adventure at some point.

84 yota dude 01-08-2015 09:12 AM

That's awesome! If I didn't already have a first gen I would have gotten that one. Also did that guy have a lot of other Toyotas? I've seen some of his other cl ads and I think he has a little business

deutschman 01-09-2015 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude (Post 52246584)
That's awesome! If I didn't already have a first gen I would have gotten that one. Also did that guy have a lot of other Toyotas? I've seen some of his other cl ads and I think he has a little business

Yeah I asked him why he was selling it and he said he fixes them up for sale.
It has a oil leak of some kind but thats about the only bad thing so fare. Cant tell if its trans, transfer case, or engine oil yet.

deutschman 01-12-2015 02:55 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I got to do a bit of work on the truck today.
I installed a longer rear case breather in the back to clear any future water crossings. I was going to do the front today as well, but decided to just wait till I can afford the parts for a solid front axle.
I also installed new rear drums, and adjusted the shoes. Man the brakes feel a lot better now. I painted the drums as well just to keep them from rusting and looking nasty.

The zip ties are temperary until I make it to the hardware store for the proper fasteners.
Attachment 124476
Attachment 124477
Attachment 124478

Attachment 124479
Attachment 124480
Attachment 124481
Attachment 124482

deutschman 01-12-2015 02:58 PM

Im hoping to do a 4" lift and solid front axle this year, hopefully earlier rather then later.
I think I will go with the All-Pro Off Road kit.
Im also thinking of converting to rear disk brakes with a line locker to replace the E-brake.
Mmmmm and some 33" tires.

deutschman 01-13-2015 07:09 PM

Found a good deal on a Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 SR with synthetic rope on Amazon today. I guess the box was damaged so it was a good bit cheaper. Should be a decent beginners winch set up for my truck.

dsal_86Yota 01-13-2015 08:21 PM

Good looking rig. A suggestion for your bumper light, I used 4- 3/4" orange led lights from parts store and moved my signal lights in to the corners lights. Real easy swap. I posted a build in it and also have on my build. Just a suggestion, help keep them out of rocks and other road trash.

deutschman 01-13-2015 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota (Post 52247660)
Good looking rig. A suggestion for your bumper light, I used 4- 3/4" orange led lights from parts store and moved my signal lights in to the corners lights. Real easy swap. I posted a build in it and also have on my build. Just a suggestion, help keep them out of rocks and other road trash.

Thanks for that. Im always looking to make things more functional.

deutschman 01-16-2015 04:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The winch showed up today. I go this Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 S off of Amazon for $400 because the box was "10% damaged." It seamed like a good deal as the winch usually goes for around $700. Sadly when the winch showed up and I opened the box, it was missing all the install hardware, the controller, and the clevis hook. So I called Amazon and complained, and they refunded me 20% which was $86 :) !!!!!!! I went to the Superwinch website and ordered the replacement parts for about $36!
This means I got the winch for about $350 :)
Now I just have to wait for the parts to show up to test this bad boy out.
The fit on winch with the Trail Gear bumper is really tight! Its definitely pushing in on the grill a bit. The only way to fix this would be to space the bumper out a bit by extending two of the mounting tabs, and putting thick spacers between the car and the bumper on the rest of the mounting locations. I might do that down the road. It works for now. I just cant get the winch cover over the winch to protect the synthetic line from UV.
Attachment 124318
Attachment 124319

I also upgraded the cell phone holder in the cab. I have a RAM GoPro suction cup mount I used on the out side of my track car when I still did track and autocross events, and I loved it so I got their universal cell phone mount as well. They make super heavy duty stuff the doesn't shake around or fall off. I mean if their suction cup will hold my GoPro to the side of my car while doing 1+ Gs in a corner, I am sure it can hold my iPhone on my window. They also make other mounts for tablets if your running GPS in your rig, other electronics mounts, and even fire arms mounts.
Attachment 124320

On a side note I got this cool tool. Iv wanted one of these for a long time and just grabbed it. A rivet nut tool. Super handy when mounting stuff in your engine bay or any other place where you need to add threaded inserts on metal.
Attachment 124321

deutschman 01-21-2015 08:46 PM

I fixed my aav, and replaced my pcv valve grommet and hose today. The motor is running much better now. How ever one of the small valve things with vacuum hoses running to it that sits on top of the valve cover is making a sucking noise. Is that normal?
Im going to replace all the vacuum hoses in a few days when my vacuum hose kit shows up. Maybe run some sea foam through vacuum and fuel system.
When I put the 22re in a few months ago I didnt have time to do things like replace all the hoses and put in some refreshed fuel injectors because the truck was in my landlords driveway. I hate doing things half ass but some times I have no other options because of using other peoples space and time.

rattlewagon 01-22-2015 05:56 AM

That rivet nut thing is cool Got a picture of what they look like installed?

deutschman 01-22-2015 06:53 PM

8 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rattlewagon (Post 52249244)
That rivet nut thing is cool Got a picture of what they look like installed?

This is how they install. There are flush fit rivet nuts that need to be counter sunk, and normal rivet nuts that have about a 1/16" lip. I have not used mine yet, but I will soon ether tomorrow or this weekend on my trailer project.

Attachment 124140

This is my side project. Iv been working on a tool storage trailer I can keep all my tools in and use for my future move up to the PNW. I have some plans for the trailer like on board air and water, as well as a small fold down exterior work bench and a tire carrier. So I can use it for work and auto events.
Its based on one of the larger Harbor Freight trailers. I welded some out riggers on for more interior space, and its going to get an enclosure.
This is where I am as of now.

Attachment 124141
Attachment 124142

Then I took the wheel wells off and cut them in half, then added some metal in the middle to make them wider. Excuse the bad welding/fabrication. I literally have to do all my work off of the sidewalk/street because I dont have a garage or work space. Its hard to get things correct with out a flat work surface.

Attachment 124143
Attachment 124144
Attachment 124145
Attachment 124146
Attachment 124147

deutschman 01-29-2015 05:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Back to my truck.
Today I replaced all the vacuum lines as well has some of the other larger breather hoses. I bought a silicone kit from HPSI Performance. I had one of their hose kits on one of my former BMW as well. They have a lot of nice vehicle specific kits, and the kit even came with a cigar cutter to cut the hoses lol
http://www.hpsimotorsports.com/#!veh...ose-kits/c183b
Attachment 123817

Could anyone help me try and identify this ticking? Its coming from the back of the motor so I dont think its the chain guide. I am running the correct weight oil, I did a valve adjustment to spec a few months ago.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps4incqixp.mp4 <--- click for video

I also finally got my winch working and mounted up with all the correct bolts. I still need to figure out how to mount the fairlead. There is not enough room between the winch and the sheet metal of the winch mounting plate to put the bolts for the fairlead.
It was fun pulling my GF's 4Runner while I was tensioning the rope onto the drum.
Attachment 123818

deutschman 01-29-2015 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And my trailer made some headway :)
Attachment 123816