YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Factory Sound Deadening (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/factory-sound-deadening-307301/)

mrgtstr 03-23-2019 05:47 AM

Factory Sound Deadening

I have a 1995 xtra cab and currently tackling the interior. The factory deadening material is fairly thick in areas and undecided on whether to remove it completely and put all new down or add additional in the needed areas or go over top of all of it. My only concern about going over top of it, is when putting the carpet back of it being too thick. I am leaning on removing all of it and then putting down deadener and sound insulation from here.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ksti 03-23-2019 11:39 AM

My suggestion would be to purchase something that also takes heat in to factor.
I did not see anything about any heat rating in the link you posted.
Just my 2 cents worth.

RAD4Runner 03-23-2019 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by mrgtstr (Post 52420931)
...The factory deadening material is fairly thick in areas and undecided on whether to remove it completely and put all new down ...

IF the factory sound deadener is intact, why go through the trouble of removing what those excellent Toyota engineers chose to dampen vibrations with?

deadener and sound insulation.
These are the keys. ^^^
Deadener to minimize vibration of the panels, AND insulation to prevent whatever remaining vibration/sound and heat from above the exhaust and the firewall from coming through.
I put a 3/8-inch rubber pad above my sound-deadened floor, PLUS thermal/sound insulation on firewall and the floor area above the exhaust, yet the carpet still fit well. Just make cut-out as precisely as possible where pedals would travel to, and where seats and seatbelts would mount.

mrgtstr 03-24-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
My suggestion would be to purchase something that also takes heat in to factor.
I did not see anything about any heat rating in the link you posted.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the feedback....I am considering the 80mil for the deadening and the 170mil for the thermal barrier unless I am misinterpreting the product description.

mrgtstr 03-24-2019 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
IF the factory sound deadener is intact, why go through the trouble of removing what those excellent Toyota engineers chose to dampen vibrations with?

True....Thought process is a clean slate so to speak.

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Deadener to minimize vibration of the panels, AND insulation to prevent whatever remaining vibration/sound and heat from above the exhaust and the firewall from coming through.
I put a 3/8-inch rubber pad above my sound-deadened floor, PLUS thermal/sound insulation on firewall and the floor area above the exhaust, yet the carpet still fit well. Just make cut-out as precisely as possible where pedals would travel to, and where seats and seatbelts would mount.

What kind of thermal insulation did you end up using?

That being said....I would think If I put what i am wanting down on top of whats there I should be okay on the carpet then.

RAD4Runner 03-24-2019 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrgtstr (Post 52420986)
What kind of thermal insulation did you end up using?
That being said....I would think If I put what i am wanting down on top of whats there I should be okay on the carpet then.

Thickness is no issue. In fact, before putting carpet back, I built-up dips on the floor with extra padding I had.
I posted what I did and used here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...r-work-259455/

Truck body sounds very good now, except for the loud 22RE. I wish I has put sound-thermal insulation on engine side of firewall when Inhad engine rebuilt.
I might be able to but it would be tight to work in.
You can also apply some on cabin side of firewall to some extent.