84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Got an Install Date! 5" up, up & away!!! My '85's Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hayes
look around for the DS. I can have my factory DS extended for 120 bucks locally...

Hayes
This is a complete new one. I had the stock DS off my Runner. They will be using a kit like this (it's almost identical actually)

TG sells these for $179 - I am getting mine for $150, then $150 for the labor. Remember, I have 20"+ of articulation to consider, not to mention the front axle being moved forward 1.5" - this isn't going to be a simple lengthening. They also are going to be grinding som of the CV joint for clearance too! I will get some pictures of it up when I get it.

John
Old 04-26-2007, 06:59 PM

Food for though: Al they are going to do is weld your driveshaft to the upper portion of the lower splined shaft. Having mine lengthened would just be adding material to that section of the stock ds. I have a buddy with a heavily modified 84 pickup on 35's(similar to what you have) and he recommended the extended ds. Plus it will save you ~150 so you can buy your gears...

Hayes
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by LUV24BY
Thanks Volcom - again, without your pictures from your thread our work wouldn't have been so smooth. I was hoping to get more pictures, however there were many times I needed to work and not play photographer.

I haven't gotten the gears or lockers yet. I have to work some extra OT to get that taken care of. I will see what I can find. I may do the 33's first yet I am not 100% if I will just go to the 35's. I really want em, I just don't know what the $$ will look like in the near future. I have a bonus coming up in July, if I can get geared before then I will jump to the 35's. For the time being I am going to be keeping an eye on Craigslist for some local 33's or 35's. I just don't want to choke my 22RE without the gearing.

How do ya like those fiberglass fenders Volcom?

John
I'm glad my buildup helped you out.

Your fiberglass fenders are huge! I like them but with the small tires, they look out of place for now.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Food for though: Al they are going to do is weld your driveshaft to the upper portion of the lower splined shaft. Having mine lengthened would just be adding material to that section of the stock ds. I have a buddy with a heavily modified 84 pickup on 35's(similar to what you have) and he recommended the extended ds. Plus it will save you ~150 so you can buy your gears...

Hayes
Actually, I used to have a 1985 PU 4x4 that I had these guys do a lengthening job on. It was $90 back in 1995. One driveshaft place wanted just $200 to lengthen the stock, however said the angle was to great. Like I mentioned, they are going to reuse the CV, that's it. That will be torn down, shaved out for better clearance and new U-Joints put in. I know that CV can be a bastard to take apart. I am cool with the job because I know the quality of work there is in the product. If it's not to my standards, they will redo it.

John
Old 04-26-2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Volcom
I'm glad my buildup helped you out.

Your fiberglass fenders are huge! I like them but with the small tires, they look out of place for now.
Yes, those tires will soon be replaced by the 33" I just picked up last night. I am waiting until this weekend to see if I can find some decent cheap rims. That way I can unload the wheels and tires I have on it now.

I will be posting up some pictures when the 33" goes on!

John
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Lookin good! nice build. stay away from Genunie gears. Watch those high steer arm studs/nuts. Paint looks good but as it wears the nuts will loosen up. Maybe you already sanded the paint where the cone washers touch the arms. As for the driveshaft I prefer using 1/4" wall tractor PTO shaft.

Great job.

Last edited by zman2day; 04-27-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by zman2day
Lookin good! nice build. stay away from Genunie gears. Watch those high steer arm studs/nuts. Paint looks good but as it wears the nuts will loosen up. Maybe you already sanded the paint where the cone washers touch the arms. As for the driveshaft I prefer using 1/4" wall tractor PTO shaft.

Great job.
I taped up the bottom of the arms where they contacted the Knuckles. I also taped up the holes where the studs come through. I then primered it and painted it with Ceramic added Engine Block paint. I felt this would be best (not to mention the fact that the engine paint was the only choice for the color I wanted to use!! LOL)

Thanks for the Kudos on the rig! I am like a kid in a candy store again and Thankfully the wife is letting me spend the necessary $$$ to get some things finished up! I also have a great job where I have gotten some great OT and some deductible reimbursements (this money has bought me my tires and the front driveshaft!) It was a unexdpected extra $1000 and I wasn't complaining it showed up at the perfect time!

John
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 AM

Talking Updated: New Parts!!!

Here are some new acquisitions from my favorite place, CRAIGSLIST! I got the following, prices listed as well.

DETROIT HARD LOCKER, Toyota 4CYL model. $200

I don't know if I will be putting this in before I do gears or what. I know the benefits of having one, though I will have to determine the cost to put it in and then gears, so I will be paying labor twice.

Last edited by LUV24BY; 04-29-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:35 AM

Talking Update: Part Deux

These are the new 'SHOES' for the truck. I found them seperate of one another. I paid $550 for the tires (they have 3000 miles on them and came with warranties. The rims I bought from another guy, they were $100:

I will get the tires and rims mounted Monday 4/30/07. They will be on the truck that afternoon. Then, Tuesday 4/31/07 I will be having the truck aligned. Look for pictures upcoming with the tires and rims on!!!

John
Old 04-29-2007, 09:39 AM

Awesome, I wouldn't install the Detroit until you get the gears...a waste of money to do it twice!

Hayes
Old 04-29-2007, 09:39 AM

hell ya lookin good

glad i could be of help

let me know if you ever need anything else
Old 04-29-2007, 09:55 AM

Awesome, I wouldn't install the Detroit until you get the gears...a waste of money to do it twice!

Hayes

Yeah, that was my thought too! Why waste the $200 - just be patient young Grasshopper is what I keep telling myself!

John
Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by insane04
hell ya lookin good

glad i could be of help

let me know if you ever need anything else

Thanks Insane! I couldn't have done it without your help getting the parts! Keep an eye peeled for constant updates! The final stage will be the Lemon / Solar Yellow paint with Flat Black Accents.

John
Old 04-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Just Bought An E-locker For $200!!!!!!!!!

HOLY LOCKERS BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found another 'OMG I CAN'T PASS IT UP' FOR SALE! AS OF TODAY, I AM DONE BUYING STUFF!!! SHEEEEESH!!!!!!!

Here is my newest addition, I picked it up for $200.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:57 PM

Nice, what gears and locker is in it?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:35 PM

Nice, what gears and locker is in it?
It's a factory Toyota Electronic Locker out of a late '90s Toyota. They are the type that had the dash mounted 'RR DIFF LOCK' button. I believe the gears are a 4.10. That is what I would guess as I counted the rotation on the pinion and ring gear, not to mention the donor vehicle was a 5 Speed.

Last edited by LUV24BY; 04-29-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:53 PM

Awesome, now all you need are the gears so that you can get those mo' fo's installed!!!

Hayes
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 AM

Sweet deal on those lockers. I'm assuming you picked up the Detroit from Brian...good guy and those detroits are known to last a long time.

You will have to modify your axle housing to accomodate the E-locker diff.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by westy44runner
Sweet deal on those lockers. I'm assuming you picked up the Detroit from Brian...good guy and those detroits are known to last a long time.

You will have to modify your axle housing to accomodate the E-locker diff.
Yeop! Brain is a great guy and has one hell of a set up! I am envious to his Runner! I didn't want to leave, just enjoyed BS'n with him! Brittian was there too working on his Landcruiser Diffs.

The Elocker does need to have the housing worked, however I think it's worh it!

John
Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 AM

Talking I Got them 33's on!!

Here is the rims and tires on the 4 Runner. They are much more tucked than the 325/60 R15's! I like the rims on it, make it look like a 'Trophy Truck' - I just have left to get the driveline picked up and installed. I will post up those pictures when I have it. It will be the end of this week when I get it. The lockers took up the $$ I ws planning on spending for the front driveshaft!

John

Quick Reply: Got an Install Date! 5" up, up & away!!! My '85's Buildup