YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   The Fab Shop (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   What kind of welding class should I be taking? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/what-kind-welding-class-should-i-taking-223797/)

Philbert 11-10-2010 10:59 AM

What kind of welding class should I be taking?

Hi guys,

I've learned a lot here over the past year and love the community vibe - you guys are invaluable! I've become pretty handy over the last couple years with repairs and have done the following on my own:
- Timing chain replacement
- Rear Diff gasket change
- Brakes
- ZUK mod (cutting but no welding)
- Header and exhaust (with cutting - wahoo! Paid a shop to weld up the joints)
- Other smaller stuff

That said, i really want to move on to the next stage: Welding.

There is a really cool place called Techshop in the SF Bay Area that offers classes, and offers rentals of tools if you don't have them (you must be certified through them to use some tools). I'd like to learn to weld for the following applications (in order of how soon I want to tackle):

1) Suspension: Want to do a Chevy Spring Swap at some point

2) Bumper: I'd like to some day build a rear bumper with tire swing out

3) Interior: I'd like to fab up a new center console to replace my dying plastic one, and incorporate some more usability to it

Now, I've read a little about the different types of welding, and talked to a few folks about it, but wanted to hear it from you guys who know; is there one type that can handle all three of these?

MIG and TIG are the 2 I've heard the most about.

Here are the classes I'm looking at:
http://techshop.ws/take_classes.html?categoryId=24

I'm looking for the lowest cost to use, and preferably the easiest to learn. Are any of the welding styles "too weak" to handle what I want to do or will they all suffice?

Thanks for your input guys!

Phil

4Crawler 11-10-2010 11:11 AM

I took classes about 10-12 yrs. ago at CCOC down in San Jose (link at the bottom of this page):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri....shtml#Welding

They cover all welding techniques, start with arc, then gas then mig then tig. Mig would probably be the least expensive and most applicable to what you want to make. Tig is better for thin sheet metal and for aluminum, but is harder to master and needs more specialized equipment and gas.

92 TOY 11-10-2010 12:19 PM

Phil....I'm with you bud.

I have really gotten to the point where I want to do things instead of paying someone to do them for me.

I've seen lots and lots of welders for sale, Craigslist and Harbor Freight / Northern Tools / Sears etc and have wondered what would be right for me as essentially a "goofing around" kinda application such as fabbing up bumpers and maybe in the future, a bed for my truck.

so i will stay tuned to see what everyone says.

xxxtreme22r 11-10-2010 12:25 PM

wow another welding class thread, gonna have to plug this in from the other thread, might help out 92 TOY as well since he's local.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r (Post 51587018)
the "welding" class I am considering taking at a local community college will run me just slightly over $300 and that's 1 day per week for 3.5 hours a night for 1 semester. It's not really a welding class though but a chassis fab course as a part of their motorsports program.

http://www.luzerne.edu/academics/cat...MST&course=105

Course Description:
This course is designed to provide the student with information related to various types of welding principles utilizing oxy-fuel, stick, mig, and tig welding procedures with emphasis on proper equipment usage and safety operations. These welding procedures will be used in conjunction with parts, chassis, engine, rear axle/front axle and component design, measurement, alignment and fabrication to produce a finished product utilizing the methods of production associated with this manufacturing environment.

snobdds 11-10-2010 12:54 PM

I learned welding in the following order

Oxy accelting (spelling?)
Arc
Mig
Tig

I found oxy accelting really develops puddle control, which helps on all types of welding. Arc is a good all-purpose welding method but having the right rod for the right metal is kind of tricky to figure out. 7013 rod is pretty good for most types of mild cold rolled steel. Mig is by far the easiest, but takes some time to get the wire speed, gas and current at the right settings. Tig is the hardest in all respects, but if you can master it...the stuff you can do with is endless.

Try them all, but my prefered method is Mig.

U-Turn09 11-10-2010 01:18 PM

I got an associates degree in welding tech out of high school and it is a real nice skill to have. Konwing how to do all the diffrent types of welding mentioned is good but really for what you doing a MIG is your best option. Just remeber to have pateints with it, it is not going to look like a robot did it espeically from the start, and you get what you pay for with machines and wire.

Go with a 220 volt machine from a welding store (there is a big diffrence between the lincon at lowes and the one at the welding store), good quality wire, and sheilding gas, I like argon but CO2 will work. If you use a flux-core wire it will not be the appearance you would like for bumpers and interior work. For suspension work you will have to make 2 or 3 little passes to get the penatration you need.

Philbert 11-10-2010 01:55 PM

Thanks Everyone - this is some great information thus far - really appreciate it, as I know there must be other threads like this - I just wanted to get a specifc recommendation, given what I want to eventually do with it. Patience I have, money I don't, so that's why I asked what of these methods would work for each of my goals - sounds like all of them would. Seems like all of them will work for what I want and are good "Starters", with the exception of TIG, which is the hardest of all to master, and more applicable to thinner metals like bodywork.

This is great stuff guys, thanks!

highonpottery 11-10-2010 02:43 PM

taking a class is a great place to start. i took one at UCD and it was one of the best classes I ever took...took that knowledge and made some sweet armor for my old K5 blazer. we, too, started out small with brazing techniques, oxy/acetylene welding to learn "the puddle", then we went to ARC, and finished out on the MIGs because the TIG was broken. I dunno why, but I've always liked ARC welding - just something about it...a monkey can take a MIG and point and shoot the thing...but an ARC just felt so raw and took some actual skill to get right.

you could also go and pick up a decent used welder, read up on welding techniques, watch some youtube videos, and start playing with some scrap on your own. clamp your "test piece" in a vice and have a whack at it with a sledge to see how well you did.

if money is an issue, you might be able to pick up a decent new/used 110v MIG welder for your smaller stuff and a new/used ARC welder for the thick stuff/frame-mounted stuff. it's the good 220v MIGs and TIGs that will always be priced high on the used market...but sometimes the right deal might fall into your hands if you look for them. all this talk about welders makes me wanna hurry up and get a subpanel in my garage so I can run some equipment! damn 70s underbuilt engineering...

Teuf 11-10-2010 02:45 PM

Take a basic course that touches on , oxy gas cutting, stick, mig and tig. I am taking one at Napa valley College, 2 nights a week. If I don't find a job soon I may take it full time, and get an Assoc. degree.

Teuf 11-10-2010 02:54 PM

Get this book if you can.
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/_MG_4246.jpghttp://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/_MG_4247.jpg

Crimson Yota 11-10-2010 03:39 PM

I'm currently taking welding in my high school. Right now I'm on stick welding.

It's basically a prep class for becoming a professional welder because there's a pretty big boat company near my school that wants welders, so they pay for alot of our equipment and rods.

First I learned to weld flat, then horizontal at shoulder level, then vertical welding, and now I just started learning how to weld stick over my head.

It's taken me about 2 months at 5 hours a week to almost get stick welding mastered.
It takes a while but once you get it its not so hard (except vertical welding is a PITA:mad2:).

It counts as a college credit so I could continue it after highschool if I wanted but I just want to be a recreational welder so I can start fabbing up my own stuff.:welder:

Teuf 11-10-2010 03:43 PM

Overhead is hard to master I found. Especially with say 6012, 7018 much better.

TylerH 11-10-2010 07:38 PM

I took 3 welding class's in highschool. Also took two at lbcc in albany oregon. Focused mostly on stick. But once you learn the basics its all just practice after that. Man i miss college, althou 6-10:30pm was a wierd time for a welding class's. I havent really did much welding since i left school besides exhaust thou. I do suggest in getting a good auto mask. :welder:

travis_h 11-10-2010 08:21 PM

i agree with TylerH. get a good adjustable shade auto mask. nothing worse then being in a tight spot and not being able to see before you start your weld. or flipping your hood down and moving your hand and loosing your starting point. if you have a 220v hookup at your place look into a good quality 220v machine. most quality mig machines you can turn down and with smaller wire can go well on thin sheet also. like body work. mig is the easiest to use. point and pull the trigger. and if your welding outside in any bad weather you can switch to flux wire and not worry about gas. plus it burns hotter for more penetration. a good machine can hook up to a spool gun for aluminum. but use a lil darker shade lens in your hood. and the new millers have an auto set thats pretty close and takes out the guess work. and practice, practice, practice.

Teuf 11-10-2010 08:32 PM

In a pinch I got the auto mask from Harbor freight, 40 bucks I think.

toyospearo 11-10-2010 08:43 PM

I took a metal working class with an emphasis in welding. It was a month long class with a great instructor. A few days watching through a helmet how the instructor was welding helped me tremendously. I had a rough idea but didn't fully understand how to move molten metal around.
I really became confident after I bought my Miller and started practicing on odds and ends. It really doesn't take long to get the hang of it. As long as you understand what the welder and the process is doing.
I can tell you one thing - I can't believe how much money I have saved having a good welder and welding myself. I have been able to fab or fix anything on both my rigs. It really was a turning point for me to be able to weld and have a good welder.
Good luck!

Philbert 11-10-2010 09:59 PM

Wow guys - thanks again for all the great feedback! I plan to tackle this early in the new year and will report back what class(es) I end up taking and how it goes.

Thanks Teuf for the book reference as well - I'll look for it at the library.

Phil

874runnersr5 11-10-2010 10:03 PM

shaweet!! this book looks sick.. i wish i could find a pdf version :cry2:

Teuf 11-11-2010 08:36 AM

I needed it for class, was dang 70 bucks or so, Amazon.

874runnersr5 11-11-2010 08:43 AM

Yeah, it seems like a sick book. they have a the mig chapter on this site
http://www.g-w.com/SelectedBook.aspx...10#titleheader

its very nice and indepth. Im going to see if they have this book locally because its just great.