YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   The Fab Shop (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   how can i bend a frame? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/how-can-i-bend-frame-275936/)

andy4x4 12-12-2013 08:19 AM

how can i bend a frame?

ok so my buddy flipped his 83 4x4 and we did a cab swap and found out the front of the frame on the passenger side get bent down like 2 inches. is there any way that we can bend it back? i does not need to be no show truck fix just a at home do it your self fix. thanks for any help guys.

scuba 12-12-2013 09:02 AM

You can try with a winch, highlift, come-along, and some heat in the right spots.
However, I'd just take it to a body shop with a frame machine and have them do it right.

:dj:

redbayredneck 12-12-2013 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by scuba (Post 52148564)
You can try with a winch, highlift, come-along, and some heat in the right spots.
However, I'd just take it to a body shop with a frame machine and have them do it right.

:dj:

Agreed, you want it to be done right so that the frame doesn't break in two with the first speed bump you hit.

Terrys87 12-12-2013 09:15 AM

A frame shop should not charge that much from what you are describing. Shop around and think you will be suprised at how cheap it can be done and be done right.

andy4x4 12-12-2013 09:22 AM

we cant really take it too a shop, we need it some what straight to weld the new front hanger on, and he does not have any more money to spend so we cant take it to a shop

crazypaint 12-12-2013 07:46 PM

Tie it down to the floor oright behind where its bent. Use a jack on the front of the rail anf apply lots of pressure with the jack. Use a sludge hammer over top of the bend in the frame obviously hitting that point also the sides. Add more pressure and repeat. Measure the rail as uou go. Measer the none bent one so u have abidea where u wanna be

wyoming9 12-13-2013 02:21 PM

Since this is a ghetto Fab job at best!!

I say frame machine but seeing that is not an option.

Will this vehicle be used ever again on the street??

You need to be pulling or pushing beating with a hammer will only get you hurt

If it was me I would cut the damaged piece out and splice in a new piece .

it would be where it needed to be it would be new metal and one heck of a lot easier and take less time and be safer.

andy4x4 12-13-2013 05:17 PM

if it was up to me i would take it to the shop lol but this kid is so stubbornhe wont do it, and yeah i know its going to be a ghetto fix but as long as it is drivable its fine he says

wyoming9 12-14-2013 01:04 AM

Sometimes the best action is to walk away!!

without pictures and even with pictures to move a frame 2" had to taken a real good hit.

What else might have been over looked.

Team420 12-14-2013 05:48 AM

sounds like you already figured out how to bend a frame :D

Getting it bent back wont be easy, and may not be safe after.

I personally would use chain cinches to tie it down (hope you got A lift) and maybe an engine hoist to lift up on the frame.... and lots of heat. Depending on the engine hoist, you may need something a bit stronger. Good luck!

thefishguy77 04-11-2014 08:49 PM

Running over a Honda CRX will do it to. Parts truck frame was hammered

nothingbetter 04-14-2014 05:45 AM

crazy paint has the right idea. That how we're trained to repair frames in "bodyman school" Splicing would be a waste of time and much more possibility for a failure down the road.

but you don't need a sledge hammer. 2lbs is lots. All your trying to accomplish is to normalize the steel and use its memory to bring it back in shape. Its under tension, so apply pressure in the way it has to go and tap a LARGE area with your hammer. this moves the metal molecules back the where they should be and removes stress throughout the frame rail. Slow and steady is key.

nothingbetter 04-14-2014 05:46 AM

and in theory, heat should not have to be used.

wyoming9 04-15-2014 04:32 PM

Welders tend to do things different then body people and most everyone else as well.

to each there own.:camp2:

85TurboRunner 04-15-2014 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52148921)
Since this is a ghetto Fab job at best!!

If it was me I would cut the damaged piece out and splice in a new piece .

Thats what I'd go with also.