YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transmission problem??? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/transmission-problem-2697/)

swerks 10-21-2002 12:05 PM

Transmission problem???

I own 99 v6 automatic SR5 4x4, While at speed (50-70 mph) if I let off the gas I get kind of a clunk. If I ease off of gas no problem. Any one else experience any thing like this. I have about 48000 mi on the truck and had tranny fluid changed about 2 months ago.

swerks 11-24-2002 06:32 PM

thought I would bump this up to see if I could get a response ????:dunno:

eagleklaw 12-30-2002 05:27 AM

My 96 4runner does something like that between 60 and 65 it make a clunk or shudder. Like it is having a hard time shifting into or out of overdrive. I can't beleive no one on this board has an answer for this. I did the $160. trans flush and had the timing belt changed.It still does it Help!

eagleklaw 12-30-2002 11:14 AM

I found out today from a friend that there is a product called Dr. Tranny instant shudder fix I bought a tube today I,m a little hesitant but he said if this didn't fix it I would need a new torque converter. I can't try it until my daughter come back from New Orleans fri. I,ll post on how it works. I'll try anything for 12 bucks.

HBoss 12-30-2002 01:56 PM

Originally posted by eagleklaw
I can't beleive no one on this board has an answer for this.
Most likely because no one else has or has had the problem? :dunno:

I wish I knew what to tell you...what are the ingredients in that 'tranny instant shudder fix'? I'm kind of curious as to how it knows what the shudder is, and how to fix it.

Is 'instant shudder fix as to tranny', as 'slick 50 is to engine' perhaps?

I hope it fixes your problem..

Al

ravencr 12-30-2002 04:21 PM

Just wanted to let you know you might want to check with Level 10 Performance Transmission Systems at www.levelten.com They have been really helpful to me, but they are not cheap. They will, however, be able to tell what the problem is! From there it's your decision whether to use their services or not. I'm getting a little slipping around 80 mph, when the tranny downshifts from Overdrive. It will downshift fine, but when it goes to shift back into overdrive, it actually revs up about 500 rpm, and then engages finally and drops the RPM's back down. Sam, at Level 10, said that my tranny is definitely slipping. I'm going to take his advice and purchase the PTS kit, and send them my valve body and torque convertor, so I will have a bomb proof tranny able to handle up to 800 hp. I've got the supercharger, but I'm holding off to install until this tranny work is complete. Hope this helps!

eagleklaw 01-08-2003 06:18 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Dr. Tranny shudder fix did work.I put it in and my daughter drove to Auburn which is about 80 miles away.She called and said it never did it during the trip.So I would try this before anyone spends 5or 6 hundred dollars on a torque convertor.Do a search on the internet under the name and you will find out where to buy it.Hope this helps

jx94148 01-08-2003 03:28 PM

Sorry you didn't get replies right away.

I was thinking it may be worn ring and pinion in the rear diff allowing play and a clunk when suddenly going from acceleration to deceleration or vice versa. I'm not familiar with automatics very much. I hope your problem was solved.

ravencr 01-15-2003 12:53 PM

Yeah, I just wanted to let everyone know that Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx worked for my 1998 4-Runner, which totally amazes me how a small tube of mysterious liquid would make that much of a difference. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Chris