YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   rock crawler bead lock (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/rock-crawler-bead-lock-25621/)

lbb-1 01-29-2004 07:02 PM

rock crawler bead lock

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2....s=TECH&cat=WHE

anyone running these?

KING 01-29-2004 07:14 PM

I'm responding to the thread but not because I have them, but because I would love to get them as well.

Pretty pricey for CRAWLERS, however.

jruz 01-29-2004 07:18 PM

Correction...these are "street"-locks. Big difference. :D

Jim

cubuff4runner 01-29-2004 07:28 PM

Why are true beadlocks not street legal in many states?

GRNTACO 01-29-2004 08:19 PM

I have a friend that had them and he hated them. They always got sticks and rocks stuck in the bead of the tire. He sold them and got the plan ones. He hasn't had anything stuck in the bead since.

Just my $.02.

tenfourtyeight 01-29-2004 09:02 PM

Originally posted by cubuff4runner
Since they make it impossible for you to pop a bead, you could take corners at 80 mph, which is not good for a cop w/ out beadlocks. :drunk:

(The 80 mph is an exaggeration.)

:beaver:

lbb-1 01-29-2004 09:02 PM

weld racing

how about the stone crushers?

I heard there noisy? clicking soud??

later

jruz 01-29-2004 09:25 PM

Originally posted by cubuff4runner
Since they're designed for off-road use, most manufacturers don't bother getting them DOT approved. There are some that are DOT approved though...look around.

Jim

lbb-1 01-31-2004 03:52 PM

WELD RACING

Summit Racing has the weld racing Side Winder for 190 Bucks plus center caps. I'll get those in a 15x8 for my 33x12.50 Good Year MTR's. Now I just have to figure out back which spacing to go with.

Later

lbb-1 01-31-2004 06:01 PM

heres the link

http://www.weldracing.com/SSSidewinder.html

02Runner 01-31-2004 07:02 PM

I've had the Allied Sims for a while now.

http://home.comcast.net/~dmootispaw2/DSC00062_Small.JPG

I've had minor issues with original balancing but have since fixed that problem. They do collect a bunch of dirt and it throws the balance outta whack pretty easily. To fix that I spend a lot of time in waterholes.

Another YT member didn't have as much luck with these wheels. He had to return them because they were out of round. I think they are a four or five piece wheel thats welded together and NOT always perfectly welded.

Doug M.

snohman 01-31-2004 11:05 PM

Beadlocks

1 Attachment(s)
The more bolts the better on a beadlock "style " wheel...
The less likely you are going to have air leaks....The street
version are just that...for the street...not much good for off-road.
I have 32 bolt Allied wheels and they have not lost a single pound
of air...They have a very well built wheel and the tire seats and
attaches to the outer locking ring extremely well....but are not
D.O.T. approved...

Darx 01-31-2004 11:09 PM

Re: Beadlocks

Originally posted by snohman
The street
version are just that...for the street...not much good for off-road.

They can't be much worse than any other non-bead lock wheel for off-roading though, can they? I've been planning to get these when I need new tires cause I like the look, bling!, but not sure I want to kick down for the real thing that's DOT approved.

snohman 01-31-2004 11:21 PM

beadlock wheels

Beadlocks are very hard to balance and maintain the balance
compared to similiar wheels.Most of these style wheels are not
designed for high speed use like the freeway.There are several kits out in the market place that allow you to use your own steel wheels and weld on the outer ring...try Rockstomper or Bobby
Longs kits...both are nice...

Darx 01-31-2004 11:25 PM

Well, if the street locks suck on the street and off-road what's the point? :D

There's always the plain old Rockcrawlers then.

jruz 02-01-2004 07:34 AM

From what I've heard, the street-locks are no worse off-road than regular rims. You just get a bunch of shiny looking bolts that aren't actually doing anything.

I think the only good thing about them is that cops are seeing those more often...and probably wouldn't give real beadlocks a second glance. :D

I wouldn't worry too much about getting caught with beadlocks...however as Snohman said, they're hard to balance/maintain. Get some fancy looking rims for day to day use...and save the beadlocks for the days you hit the trails.

It all comes down to the green stuff... $$$

Jim

toy283 02-01-2004 08:25 AM

"Street-locks" are no better or worse than a normal rim in any application. The construction is identical, the differences purely cosmetic.

The legality of beadlocks depends a lot on where you are. In Colorado, it is legal to drive with exposed tires, no doors, only one mirror, etc. Beadlocks aren't an issue here with the possible except of the Peoples Republik of Boulder ;) You get into states with vehicle inspections, or laws against exposed tires, mudflaps, etc. you could run into serious problems with beadlocks.

Serith 02-20-2004 08:47 AM

I don't mean to bring an old thread back to life, but i have those kind of rims on my truck, 15" by 8". have 35" swamper on them. I don't know if its the rims or tires, but they shake pretty bad down the road. I even had them balanced, and they still are terrible. So I'm looking at selling them and getting normal just black steel ones.

Can swampers be balanced well? if i had black steels and swampers could it be balanced? or am i going to have the same problem with these street locks as normal rims?

hillbilly 02-20-2004 09:59 AM

Wow. These are REAL tempting, but then I'd have to dump my 16x7 alloys. Any ideas what the stock '01 alloys are worth??

BruceTS 02-20-2004 05:45 PM

From what I've heard from others, their swampers really suck on the street. They can't get them properly balanced. Tomorrow I'll be posting a few pictures of my new rims :D